Password

Album Review

Native - Orthodox Album Cover

Native - Orthodox

Reviewed by
NativeOrthodox
Release Date: August 20, 2013
Record Label: Sargent House
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Not everyone knows this, but I lived in Indiana for about 10 years. Socially it was fine but musically, it was a nightmare. It’s a land where pop-country is king and there is little semblance of any type of music scene. Trust me when I say there’s not much to do and that it’s a pretty rough place to live when you’re a music nerd like me. That’s why I was elated beyond terms when a four-piece band called Native didn’t succumb to the black hole of nothingness and rather emerged from the northwest part of the state with a fresh take on post-hardcore. 2010’s Wrestling Moves was an energizing rush of post-hardcore thrash – a debut that put the band on the map to see what they’d do next.

That time is now with the release of the band’s second full-length, Orthodox, a stunning 8-track, 28 minute long post-hardcore masterpiece. It may cause you to reevaluate how you listen to the genre (okay, so that’s a bit hyperbolic, but damn does this album really get me fired up!). Basically, Orthodox is the most exhilarating thing to come from an Indiana product since Reggie Miller scored 9 points in 8 seconds at the Garden.

The nuance in the noise throughout the album's eight tracks is impressive - opening track "Word City" features some of Nick Glassen's best drumming as the song fluctuates between chaos and serenity before ripping your throat out. The band brings a smorgasbord of different tempos and genres: "Monday Night" gets a little proggy (think "My (Fucking) Deer Hunter" off of Fear Before's The Always Open Mouth) while "Kissing Bridge" unleashes a spectacular spazzfest within its noise-rock outro. “Sixty Seven” has guitarists Dan Evans and Ed O’Neill playing alternating notes while Bobby Markos’ bass work creates a rumbling that won’t escape your chest.

Some listeners may complain about Markos’ change in vocal delivery, but honestly I hear it as an added dynamic improvement to the band’s sound rather than a hindrance. His screams have an unassuming melody within the heavier moments while not overpowering the lush whispers of ambient noise when the band takes pause.

No two tracks sound alike on Orthodox, which is huge in a genre brought down by samey rhythm patterns and guitar exercises. Instead, Native juxtaposes a lot of different techniques together. “Coin Toss” clangs and clashes with a strange time signature while Glassen’s remarkable drumming sets up an incredibly catchy groove. The sludgy "Brass" also incorporates guitar aerobics similar to earlier Minus The Bear. Evans and O'Neill put together a clinic of chords and riffs that pierce through the dark rhythms from Markos and Glassen, creating something that's not only jarring but also memorable. I mean, just take "Books on Tape” for example. It sounds like the band received that power-up star from Super Mario and just went fucking nuts. It may be the definitive track on one of the essential heavy releases of 2013.

Orthodox is the new noise we’ve been waiting for years from the post-hardcore genre. It’s a raw, flurry of noise that comes together to meld into one cohesive and daring project. It’s one of the most electrifying and rejuvenating albums I've had the pleasure of listening to this year, so make plans to jump on the bandwagon now, as Orthodox will unquestionably place Native amongst the post-hardcore elite.

9/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
06:24 AM on 08/23/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
I'm super glad I looked at this review, but in my opinion 2013 has been a stellar year for post-hardcore, so I'm excited to add another band to the ranks.

I'm interested to see if I'll agree with your "new noise we've been waiting for" remark, as that is how I've already felt this year from bands this I the Mighty, Night Verses, Have Mercy, etc.

Officially stoked.
08:01 AM on 08/23/13
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
this album is awesome and will undoubtably change the scene
09:17 AM on 08/23/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Like this a lot but its hardly the game changer it is claimed as being by several people. Definitely a solid record though.
09:20 AM on 08/23/13
henry chinaski
User Info.
Damn, need to check this out. Their debut is super awesome.
09:21 AM on 08/23/13
Quijiba
User Info.
Haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, but this review has me convinced to give it a spin
10:35 AM on 08/23/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Really liked this, need to relisten
10:59 AM on 08/23/13
Hindenburg
DIY Guy
User Info.
Great review of the music dude, but the Indiana part really bums me out. Though I'm not sure where you lived, I can guarantee you weren't searching hard enough for the music. Its commonly accepted that NWI (northwest Indiana) is far different from the rest of the state, and there has always been a strong DIY/punk scene and presence there.

However, the rest of the state is loaded too! In your ten years you would have had Saints Never Surrender in Ft. Wayne, Away with Vega and Rodeo Ruby Love in Marion/Grant County (my home), In the Face of War (close friends of Native) in Kokomo, husband&wife in Bloomington, and even Mock Orange at some points down south. Keep in mind that these are only the "leader" bands of the scenes I'm most familiar with here. I left out Indianapolis intentionally, because there has been and continues to be a wonderful music community there for all genres.

As a musician who has played in bands for a third of my life, it is so disheartening to see my home state dismissed as backwards and not worth a second look. Our music scenes may not be as booming or high profile as the ones in neighboring or eastern states, but there is still a ton of talent here. The three bands from Indiana that have gotten notice in this community in recent years all share members and are from NWI. It would be nice to see the whole state looked at a bit more - there may not be a lot of us, but we always try to give as much thanks as we can when bands tour through the Midwest and decide not to go over (or under) us.
11:19 AM on 08/23/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Look the only reason to go to Indiana ever is to go to the sand dunes and the only reason to go there is to kill yourself where your body will never be found.
01:05 PM on 08/23/13
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great, GREAT record. I'd put it top 3 for the year.
01:16 PM on 08/23/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Great review of the music dude, but the Indiana part really bums me out. Though I'm not sure where you lived, I can guarantee you weren't searching hard enough for the music. Its commonly accepted that NWI (northwest Indiana) is far different from the rest of the state, and there has always been a strong DIY/punk scene and presence there.

However, the rest of the state is loaded too! In your ten years you would have had Saints Never Surrender in Ft. Wayne, Away with Vega and Rodeo Ruby Love in Marion/Grant County (my home), In the Face of War (close friends of Native) in Kokomo, husband&wife in Bloomington, and even Mock Orange at some points down south. Keep in mind that these are only the "leader" bands of the scenes I'm most familiar with here. I left out Indianapolis intentionally, because there has been and continues to be a wonderful music community there for all genres.

As a musician who has played in bands for a third of my life, it is so disheartening to see my home state dismissed as backwards and not worth a second look. Our music scenes may not be as booming or high profile as the ones in neighboring or eastern states, but there is still a ton of talent here. The three bands from Indiana that have gotten notice in this community in recent years all share members and are from NWI. It would be nice to see the whole state looked at a bit more - there may not be a lot of us, but we always try to give as much thanks as we can when bands tour through the Midwest and decide not to go over (or under) us.
oh there are definitely a handful of good to great bands that have emerged from Indiana - I'm not knocking that, I'm talking more about the people and just from the areas I was from (high school 2001-2004 in Indianapolis and then Muncie for the next five years) no one gave a shit about any of that and it didn't thrive in those areas. Indianapolis during that period had a really shitty tough guy bro hardcore/metalcore scene going on that I despised.
12:38 AM on 08/24/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Great review, Drew.
02:06 AM on 08/24/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
thank you!
04:38 PM on 08/25/13
AEast317
x x x
User Info.
Indiana is a great place to live for a music nerd. Perhaps Muncie isn't (I know this is where you lived), but Indianapolis and Bloomington are exceptional and NWI (Grown Ups, Like Bats, Away With Vega (a band that would without a doubt be on Run For Cover if they were still around today), Lion of the North, Rodeo Ruby Love, etc...) and other scattered spots (Grey Gordon, The Wickerwolves, and Parasitic Twins in Fort Wayne and In The Face of War from Kokomo) have had/currently have some nice things going on as well.

Indianapolis has had solid shows for the past decade since I've been going spanning multiple genres. You say there is no semblance of a music scene, but I can tell you that you are totally wrong. The DIY pop punk/hardcore/emo scenes have been strong here for some time at venues of the past like the dojo (1 and 2), the ESJ, and the 1511 and halloween houses, and currently at the hoosier dome. There also is never a shortage of shows at bigger venues.. Indianapolis has also produced plenty of solid bands in the past decade, though admittedly most of them come and go and do not last long, but I will simply name one: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's. I wont even go into Bloomington, but just know there have been plenty of bands like husband&wife from there worth mentioning and during the four years I spent there the music scene was very much alive.

I'm sorry that you lived in Muncie where nothing was happening. If you had lived in Indy or Bloomington I think you'd have a much different outlook on the music scene in Indiana...

Edit: just read the comments. Still disagree about no one giving a shit and it not thriving. Maybe we are talking about different times, I can't speak a ton on 01-04, but more 06-now
04:57 PM on 08/25/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Indiana is a great place to live for a music nerd. Perhaps Muncie isn't (I know this is where you lived), but Indianapolis and Bloomington are exceptional and NWI (Grown Ups, Like Bats, Away With Vega (a band that would without a doubt be on Run For Cover if they were still around today), Lion of the North, Rodeo Ruby Love, etc...) and other scattered spots (Grey Gordon, The Wickerwolves, and Parasitic Twins in Fort Wayne and In The Face of War from Kokomo) have had/currently have some nice things going on as well.

Indianapolis has had solid shows for the past decade since I've been going spanning multiple genres. You say there is no semblance of a music scene, but I can tell you that you are totally wrong. The DIY pop punk/hardcore/emo scenes have been strong here for some time at venues of the past like the dojo (1 and 2), the ESJ, and the 1511 and halloween houses, and currently at the hoosier dome. There also is never a shortage of shows at bigger venues.. Indianapolis has also produced plenty of solid bands in the past decade, though admittedly most of them come and go and do not last long, but I will simply name one: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's. I wont even go into Bloomington, but just know there have been plenty of bands like husband&wife from there worth mentioning and during the four years I spent there the music scene was very much alive.

I'm sorry that you lived in Muncie where nothing was happening. If you had lived in Indy or Bloomington I think you'd have a much different outlook on the music scene in Indiana...

Edit: just read the comments. Still disagree about no one giving a shit and it not thriving. Maybe we are talking about different times, I can't speak a ton on 01-04, but more 06-now
it's funny what you mentioned in your edit, because I lived in Indy (or moreso went to high school in Indy) from 01-04 and then I was in Muncie for the next 5 years, so that's probably why my view is skewed to the way I have it. If I would have known more people like you during those five years maybe my views would have been different haha

Nuclear So and So's are the shit of course

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version