AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Exclusive News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

ABSOLUTExclusive: Barely Blind Song Premiere

Posted by - 10:55 AM on 08/26/13
When I heard this song in demo form a few months ago, I knew immediately that I wanted to premiere it on AbsolutePunk. Fast forward a few months later and a recording session with producer Pierre De Reeder (Vampire Weekend, Death Cab For Cutie, Rilo Kiley) and we are now premiering "G O L D E N C H I L D," the newest single from Barely Blind and one of the best indie-pop songs I've heard all year. The musicianship on "G O L D E N C H I L D" is mesmerizing and brings to mind a band like Phoenix while the infectious melodies and harmonies will be trapped in your brain for the rest of the day. Check out the song in the replies and it'll be available for purchase on iTunes tomorrow, August 27th. Stay tuned for the song's video premiere later this week.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
10:55 AM on 08/26/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Barely Blind Releases New SingleLos Angeles, CA based Barely Blind will self-release their new single "Golden Child" on August 27th. The new track follows the Texas natives' previous DIY effort Wilder Child of a Thousand Suns, which was an album released in October 2011 as a free download via the bands website.

In May Barely Blind headed to North Hollywood to begin recording "Golden Child" with producer Pierre De Reeder (Vampire Weekend, Death Cab For Cutie, Rilo Kiley).

"This song is about our willingness or desire to move forward in our lives, our love for our band, our love for each other, families, friends, loved ones; all of that is what we survive by. This song addresses it all" says vocalist Bradley Cuccio. "It's definitely on the positive side of things, and that's sort of a change for me from our last album."

The new single most notably showcases Cuccio's vocals in a new light, with the incorporation of his falsetto singing for the first time ever. In addition to his signature vocal approach, Cuccio effortlessly weaves back and forth through his vocal range, accompanied by the soft harmonies of guitarist Stephen Salisbury's backing vocals. Musically "Golden Child" finds a mid-tempo groove with rhythmic bass lines and driving percussive elements. The guitars offer warm melodic tones intertwined with delicate and soothing melodies. The resulting song is their catchiest and most universally relatable song to date. A behind-the-scenes look at the making of the song can be found here.

"I remember hearing the vocals for the first time on the demo version of this song and I had goosebumps, we knew we wanted to record this song first when we got that reaction" says Reid Guidry, bassist. "We're excited to finish recording the rest of the album this Fall."

The release of "Golden Child" will be accompanied with a music video filmed by Tyler Gorrell in and around the band's home in Eagle Rock, CA. The concept revolves around the imagination of a young hearted three year-old and his interaction with the band. The video draws a parallel between the free spirit of a child and the desire of the band to maintain that same freedom.

The artwork was done by drummer Will Smith and bassist Reid Guidry. Smith used an enlarged photo of themselves taken by Dirk Mai under the 6th St. bridge in downtown Los Angeles. He then sporadically applied pencil marks and pastels on top of the print. "I've been doing this style of art for a while now. It's a real release for me. I feel the pastels in the artwork give the illusion that we are all connected as a band and share the same vision."

"Golden Child" was mixed by Harrison Wargo (Badboxes) and mastered by Dave Collins (Weezer, No Doubt).

Follow Barely Blind at http://barelyblind.com for news and updates regarding "Golden Child" and the bands status on recording their new album.

Also at:
http://facebook.com/barelyblind
http://twitter.com/barelyblind
http://instagram.com/barelyblind

Upcoming Performance
September 10th - The Roxy Theatre w/ The Dangerous Summer - Los Angeles, CA
11:08 AM on 08/26/13
kmguidry
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What an amazing song!
11:08 AM on 08/26/13
Eich696
Amaro Jr.
User Info.
Love it
11:10 AM on 08/26/13
Nate.Rios
True Son of Skyrim
User Info.
His voice kind of has a James Mercer sort of vibe going on at times. Great song!
11:15 AM on 08/26/13
barelyReid
User Info.
Thanks so much for the love Ap.net! Music video is coming this week! Keep an eye out!
11:26 AM on 08/26/13
Greg
User Info.
really digging this! keep up the great work guys!
11:39 AM on 08/26/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
really enjoyed that
11:47 AM on 08/26/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
11:59 AM on 08/26/13
Make A Mess
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love it! You can definitely hear the Phoenix influence. Not a bad thing though.
12:00 PM on 08/26/13
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
Groovy.
12:04 PM on 08/26/13
nungaray
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
eh... reminds me of menwomenandchildren. I prefer menwomenandchildren.
12:19 PM on 08/26/13
willwho182
User Info.
Thanks for the + been a long time coming for this jam!!
12:42 PM on 08/26/13
thisisalchemy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Did this band sound way different in like 2008 - like post-hardcore? Or am I thinking of a different band?
12:49 PM on 08/26/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Did this band sound way different in like 2008 - like post-hardcore? Or am I thinking of a different band?
Definitely a different band you're thinking of. They've changed over the years but from more pop/punk to more of the now indie groove.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos