1. How did you get your band name? -Ed gets grumpy when he's hungry. Everyone who knows him knows the unwritten rule that you don't speak to Ed unless he's just eaten.
2. How did this band get started? -Ed & Ollie started playing music together as brothers back in 2008, forming a metal band and playing dozens of local shows including supporting bands such as Voodoo Six and InMe. Finding it difficult to find other musicians who were as dedicated and ambitious, the brothers decided to go in a different direction. Ed brushed up on his singing and started writing, relishing the freedom from the formulaic two guitars, bass, drums and one vocalist. With this expressive freedom he created The Hunger Pact as a solo outfit, releasing the debut self-titled EP in February 2013, with Ollie providing the recorded guitar parts. Joining the band for their unplugged tour will be close friend and housemate of Ed, James Pierce. After the tour, The Hunger Pact will be planning further live shows, with close musician friends of the band fulfilling the roles of bassist and drummer.
3. What bands are you influenced by? -Flyleaf, Seether, Daughtry, Buck Cherry, Three Doors Down through to old school blues such as Clapton, BB King through the standard rock influences such as Guns and Roses and Nirvana.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why? -We think it'd be a lot of fun touring with The Pretty Reckless or Flyleaf. But you know you've made it when you're touring with Slash! (James says The Saturdays. No one would have any respect for us...but they're hot.)
5. Best food to eat on tour? -Subway. That's all Ollie eats. Does beer count?
6. Why should people listen to your band? -It's raw, passionate music created for the love of it. If you like honesty, you should really be having a listen.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? -Ed: Any darts player - it's the only sport I can think of where drinking makes you better.
James: Ussain Bolt, because it's the only time when women are impressed that a man finishes in less than 10 seconds.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? -Ed: Whoever I bribed.
Ollie: The usual friends, fans and family
James: And beer. I couldn't do it sober.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? -Ollie: Dubstep, it's like communicating with aliens. Or Justin Bieber, because he's a prick. I guess I'd change a lot.
James: The top 40 would be chosen by me, and I'd stop all the "Now That's What I Call (Shit) Music" albums. I also hate Madonna but I don't want to talk about it.
Ed: I make it illegal for anyone except Sir David Attenborough to rap.
10. Memorable tour experience? -Ed: When Ollie first got a wireless pack, he disappeared off stage mid-song to get a beer, and he still didn't miss a note.
Ollie: Yeah, I had to get someone to feed it to me - I had no hands free during the solo.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Ed: AbsolutePunk is a great place to get info on bands I already like and find some new ones. I misread that as ape.net first of all. I thought it was probably some really weird porn.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Ollie: It'd have to be "Cold Woman," as it starts so chilled but builds into a fun solo (it's not been released yet but we're playing it live).
James: "If My Heart Could Sing Again," because it's so chilled and delicate and raw.
Ed: "Fight On" - it's fast and fun.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Ollie: USA, there's so much to do, especially NYC.
James: Yeah, New York is amazing.
Ed: Mine would be Essaouira in Morocco - amazing place, especially for surfing. Rumor has it Jimi Hendrix was influenced by the area too.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? Ollie: ACDC, Guns n Roses, Deep Purple, Lynyrd Skynyrd...
Ed: Yeah, all before our time but we grew up listening to them.
James: I hate to admit it was Madonna. I told you I don't wanna talk about
it. Only kidding, I was raised on 2pac, Dr Dre, etc. The first album I bought was Rick Astley - how embarrassing.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? James: The ability to hide the first album I bought.
Ollie: Super-speed, a bit like Yngwie Malmsteen
Ed: Yeah, super-speed would be amazing but flying would be more fun...
Ollie: But I would get there quicker!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals? Ed: not really, normally talking to venue staff or fans up until I go on stage.
Ollie: Yeah, we're not really the superstitious types. I like a beer before going onstage, but I do religiously change every battery just before we start.
James: I won't use the 13th fret on my guitar.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? Ed: James' nickname is Kitten Heels.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? James: I never listen to radio...
Ed: DAB's useful - you get some alright channels there but I don't think we'd ever flourish on radio.
Ollie: Normal radio is too repetitive for me, but online radio's pretty decent, and we do alright there.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Ed: It's normally something musical or motorbiking.
Ollie: For me it's comedy and superhero films or games like COD and Fifa.
James: Normally watching TV boxsets, listening to music, or playing football.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? James: I can juggle.
Ollie: But anyone can do that.
Ed: I can't.
James: See?! I can also do 2500 keepy-uppies.
Ollie: Prove it!
Ed: Can you even count that high?!