Username
Password
Exclusive News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Exclusive
Inside AP.net

Introducing the Shane Told Sports Column

Posted by: Drew Beringer (08/30/13)
A few months ago, Shane Told of Silverstein reached out to me about starting up a monthly sports column on the site. I thought why not? We have a very strong sports forum and a lot of our users are very knowledgable about various sports. Now that his band just wrapped up its stint on this past summer's Warped Tour, Shane sent me his inaugural AP.net sports column, which you can read in the replies. It's not often that sports and this scene crossover, but in this month's column Shane discusses how musicians and athletes cheat to get ahead.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
08:36 AM on 08/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Shane Told Sports Column #1: STEROIDS, BACKING TRACKS, AND THE END OF AN ERAMusic and sports aren’t normally talked about in the same breath, especially in punk rock. Sure, pitcher CJ Wilson used to come out to “Firestorm”, and sometimes Nuno from A Wilhelm Scream will rock a KG jersey, but beyond that it’s two very separate worlds.

However, one similarity is common in sports, music, and life in general - the presence of cheaters. We’ve all done it innocently enough in some facet; exaggerating a high score in Temple Run, comparing results with a friend on a science lab, claiming you caught the ball before it hit the ground when you know you didn’t, or maybe editing a guitar track so the notes are a little cleaner. It happens. But when does it go too far?

Last week 13 Major League Baseball players (including the elusive, and now appealing Alex Rodriguez) were suspended for using performing enhancing drugs (PED’s). This drug problem has been running rampant in the game since the late 1990’s. In the so called “Steroid Era”, longstanding records were broken, especially in home runs, and many people believe these records should be “asterisked”, meaning that in the official records they only sort of count. But finally MLB took a real stand against guys breaking the rules and hopefully moving forward this will help clean up the game and make it more fair to the guys who didn’t feel right about cheating.

Warped Tour also finished last week, and over those 6 weeks I witnessed a similar “Steroid Era” within live music. This isn’t bands taking drugs to play or sing better. This is them not singing or playing at all. In the music business it’s called “backing tracks” and it’s a dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about, and very few bands would ever admit to. How it works is the bands music “tracks” are pre-loaded onto a computer or an iPod, and the drummer will listen to it with headphones and play along. Then the band (or their sound guy or producer) can decide what they want to come out of the speakers. This can be everything from just some subtle keyboard or strings in the background (what some bands will admit to and most people including myself would consider to be respectable) or 100% fake including lead vocals, backing vocals, guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, etc.

Coming from a guy who has never been in a band that has used any backing tracks whatsoever, I find this completely disgusting and dishonest to fans coming out to the shows, and embarrassing for the bands doing this. I’ve heard the arguments - “We don’t have enough people to play it live and we can’t bring additional musicians out on the road”. Sure there’s bands who use tracks tastefully, and as perfectionists want the padding of some studio sounds behind talented vocal and instrumental performances. But in nearly every case I’ve witnessed, this is simply not what is going on. It’s gotten to the point where many bands are basically lip synching. One band (I won’t name names) literally plays nothing except select vocals which they can decide at the time whether will be real or fake. Sometimes screamers don’t do the really low or high stuff. Guitars are often completely fake. Guys break strings and walk off stage only to have the guitar tracks keep going like nothing has happened.

Maybe you don’t care. Maybe it’s fine for you, you’re there to see the band on stage and hear the music, and it doesn’t matter to you if it’s actually connected. Or maybe you’re like me and find this to be a travesty and an insult to the bands that actually take the time to practice, work on their craft, and are there to put on a specifically tailored live show, not just run their iPods and pretend to play along. Either way, the era of critics, fans and real bands passively standing around and not saying anything needs to come to an end. We don’t have a commissioner or a league like MLB governing the rules of live performances, and we never will. However, that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be speaking out about the problem in our scene with backing tracks. I encourage friends of mine to do the same as I’ve done and pledge that they will never use them to fake performances, and will keep their live music honest and real. If not for themselves than for their fans who pay money to see them - and hear them, play their music.

Shane Told, August 2013
08:41 AM on 08/30/13
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Amen. The bands who do this kind of thing should be ashamed of themselves.
08:42 AM on 08/30/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Cool column. Needs a catchier name though haha.
08:43 AM on 08/30/13
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
I understand why musicians don't want to burn bridges or incite drama, but maybe the solution to this problem is to start "naming names."
08:44 AM on 08/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
totally - but we haven't thought of one yet - hopefully the next column has a better name but truth be told it'll probably just stay as it is
08:48 AM on 08/30/13
Mister Lyrical
Forging Clarity
User Info.

Why not just have it be that?
08:51 AM on 08/30/13
The Meech
User Info.
pretty tight idea. Music and sports are probably my two favorite things and Shane knows what he's talking about when it comes to both
08:52 AM on 08/30/13
stopshootrepeat
Pro Slacker
User Info.
YES. that was perfect
08:57 AM on 08/30/13
ale5875
traduzionedicanzoni.it
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I understand why musicians don't want to burn bridges or incite drama, but maybe the solution to this problem is to start "naming names."
That would be drastic and not exactly polite, but I agree with you.
09:03 AM on 08/30/13
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
User Info.
How bout "The Shane Told'em So Sports Column?"
09:04 AM on 08/30/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Beautiful.
09:04 AM on 08/30/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
A pitcher came out to Firestorm? That's awesome. I don't follow sports, but this was an interesting read.
09:05 AM on 08/30/13
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
cool. i love sports and like silverstein. maybe have it on thursday so it has a reference to the scene "thursday" plus bill simmons drops columns on thursdays, so theres that..
09:07 AM on 08/30/13
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
User Info.

Pull the plug on their shit
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music