Knowshon's tears = my spirit animal
User Info.
Why not just have it be that?
YES.
09:11 AM on 08/30/13
Micah511
Let's Talk About Your Hair
User Info.
Coheed is my favorite band, and they did this on their last tour. It was backing vocals and some other effects. Not a fan of it. I wanted to hear how songs that had a lot of different effects translated live, but they just took those effects, played them, and let the band play some other tracks on top live. Almost sounded TOO much like the studio versions. As far as vocals, drums, 2 guitars and 1 bass goes, all those were being played.
09:17 AM on 08/30/13
Deathco_019
She calls it a mayon-egg.
User Info.
Why not just have it be that?
I like it. Coming from "Mister Lyrical." Funny how the name applies so well to the topic at hand.
09:17 AM on 08/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
well looks like we have a title for this feature now haha
09:19 AM on 08/30/13
Jared Luttrell
VA punk pop.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great read, I really respect Shane's opinions.
09:21 AM on 08/30/13
Deathco_019
She calls it a mayon-egg.
User Info.
I can't say for sure if I've ever personally seen this happen for any bands, but bands that do take part in this should just go away. Forever.
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I love this. Almost every rough draft for my reviews includes a sports analogy, which I routinely wipe, figuring no one will understand. Love the column, and agree with him.
SkullsSkulls
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice read, I enjoy the linking of sports and music.

I definitely agree with the article. In my opinion, a live show isn't supposed to sound exactly like the record. Obviously the band does their best to perfect their live show, but a live show for me is more about energy and the atmosphere than the songs sounding perfect. I've watched many videos from shows I've been to where you focus on the sound and think, man, I thought it sounded much better than that. When you are watching the video though, with video quality aside, you're just focusing on the playing like you would when you listen to the record. Backing tracks, especially in the punk scene, must go.
09:22 AM on 08/30/13
Mister Lyrical
Forging Clarity
User Info.
well looks like we have a title for this feature now haha

You're welcome haha.

Interesting article and glad to know other people in this scene are also interested in sports, I thought Riley was the only one
09:23 AM on 08/30/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Also, I remember the first time I discovered backing tracks. I was at a Tree63 concert (grew up on a lot of Christian Rock) and the signature guitar intro from one of their songs came through the speakers...while everyone stood around. I was heartbroken - asked my Dad how they did that, and he explained backing tracks. I was a wreck the rest of the day.
09:25 AM on 08/30/13
bestofmoss
core
User Info.
Canadian band member = extra hockey talk? I hope so
09:34 AM on 08/30/13
cowlord
stahp
User Info.
This is awesome! Backed 100% too. If I wanna see a band play live, i want to see them LIVE. Not some some DJ set disguised as a performance (I'm looking at you, I See Stars)
09:58 AM on 08/30/13
gwildungsroman
gwildungsroman.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this. Almost every rough draft for my reviews includes a sports analogy, which I routinely wipe, figuring no one will understand. Love the column, and agree with him.
Keep the analogies in the reviews next time.
Great column.
10:33 AM on 08/30/13
bpotts
Brendon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Absolutely love Silverstein, they've been my favorite band for years. Always loved that Shane was a big sports fan. I've talked to him about LeBron, MJ, the Jays and my sorry Mariners. Great piece. I hope he does this often! Thanks Shane and AbsolutePunk.
10:34 AM on 08/30/13
veggiecorecords
User Info.
This is a great idea, looking forward to more from Shane!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests