AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Countdown: Top 5 Most Anticipated September Releases

Posted by - 03:40 PM on 09/02/13
Finally. My favorite time of the year is here - the leaves change colors, the wind gets a bit brisker for hoodie weather, and football is on television all weekend. Another perk of the fall is how many great albums are releasing this month and beyond. In fact, September is so stacked with anticipated releases that I asked a couple of staff members to add in their own blurbs to we could cover more ground and I wouldn't break my "Countdown" rules. So check out our most anticipated albums for the month of September in the replies and let us know what you're really excited for in the ninth month of 2013.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
03:40 PM on 09/02/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Drew Beringer:
5) Tonight Alive - The Other Side (September 10; Fearless Records)
NoteWhatever you do, don't compare this band to Paramore. Of course vocalist Jenna McDougall has killer pipes but that doesn't mean she's a Hayley Williams clone. In fact, you'd be better off lumping Tonight Alive in with the same crowd as Citizen, Turnover, and the like. The guitar work on the band's upcoming album, The Other Side is fantastic, as Whakaio Taahi and Jake Hardy unleash some killer riffs. Basically, all you need to know is that The Other Side is a powerful album that's gonna put Tonight Alive on the maps of many.

4) Into It. Over It. - Intersections (September 24; Triple Crown Records)
NoteWith all the side projects Evan Weiss has released in the past year (Their/They're/There, Pet Symmetry), it's a miracle (hyperbole maybe) that a new Into It. Over It. album is coming out. It has been around 2 years since the much-loved Proper, so expectations are high. Intersections is Evan's first Triple Crown release and if you've check out the two new songs he's released over the past few weeks, you'd know that this album is gonna be stellar.

3) Balance and Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing (September 10; No Sleep Records)
NoteYou should hold onto your butts if you thought 2011's Separation was great because the band's latest collection of punk rock, The Things We Think We're Missing, completely destroys it. It's not even close. The band has made significant strides in his musicianship and Jon Simmons has never sounded more intense and dialed in (example #1 being the scorching "Notice Me"). From the bombastic opener "Parachutes" to the crushing "Dirty Head," Balance and Composure has released one of the best records of 2013.

2) Chelsea Wolfe - Pain Is Beauty (September 3; Sargent House)
NoteIf you thought Chelsea Wolfe was only about drone rock and ambient noise, then your head is going to explode when you hear Chelsea Wolfe's calamitous Pain Is Beauty. Sure, elements from her previous albums show up throughout the album's twelve tracks but Wolfe shows off all the skills in her repertoire. Songs like "Sick" and "House of Metal" creep along to the point where they get under your skin. And the electronic flourishes on "The Warden" and "Ancestors, The Ancients" are much appreciated and compliment Wolfe's exemplary vocals.

1) Touché Amoré - Is Survived By (September 24; Deathwish)
NoteIs Survived By, the third LP from Los Angeles' Touché Amoré, is an example of a band realizing its importance in a music scene and following through with genre-defining release. It's high praise, but TA has not only expanded its musical palette by adding more dimensions to its song writing, vocalist Jeremy Bolm has also written some of the most heart-wrenching and moving lyrics the genre has ever seen. There are some classic Touché songs on the record, but more often than not the band is taking chances and expanding its musical horizons ("To Write Content" and "Non-Fiction" as prime examples). Is Survived By is the type of album that makes non-fans become fans and long-time fans fall deeper in love.

Jack Appleby
Moving Mountains - Moving Mountains (September 10th; Triple Crown Records)
NoteYou've heard the Telegraph Sessions, but you haven't heard Moving Mountains. Definitely love those live renditions, but the album versions are gorgeous. We sang its praises throughout our review, but again - it's an auspicious mix of calm, compelling, and just plain good music. From the driving force of "Seasonal" to the slow build in "Eastern Leaves" to the beautifully layered "Swing Set," the record delivers in every which way. Grab it.

Jake Denning:
Stray From The Path - Anonymous (September 17; Sumerian Records)
NoteStray From The Path is one of the very few bands in the scene today that have the audacity to write what's really on their minds. Currently released songs "Badge & A Bullet", "False Flag", and "Landmines" speak on topics that most bands typically avoid, and will inevitably spark good discussion among fans. Expect something bold, something fresh, something that will force you to think.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience Pt. II (September 30; RCA)
NoteIt's almost unfathomable that Timberlake is putting out yet ANOTHER album, just months after releasing The 20/20 Experience Pt. I in late-March. In addition to the already great lead single "Take Back The Night", "Cabaret" features Drake, and "Murder" features Jay Z. We could've waited another couple of years for another album, but dammit, we're not arguing either.

TRC - Nation (September 24; No Sleep Records)
NoteLoud, arrogant, cocky - just a few words to describe TRC, a hardcore band from London. The band looks to continue the success they experienced in the U.K. with their debut album "Bright Lights", and make a huge impact stateside as well. If you're looking for something that's aggressive and in your face, this album is right up your alley

The Devil Wears Prada - 8:18 (September 17; Roadrunner)
NoteWhen asked about this record, vocalist Mike Hranica described the lyrical content as "Sad and miserable", and "Darker than Dead Throne". Released tracks "Martyrs", "First Sight", and "Home For Grave" confirm Hranica's words, but they're also some of the best sounding songs the band has released in awhile. This could very well be the band's finest offering to date.

Jake Jenkins:
Drake - Nothing Was The Same (September 24; Universal Republic)
NoteTwo years ago, Drake released his stunning sophomore album Take Care, mixing his impressive rapping ability with his pristine ear for beats and melodies. He took the worlds of R&B and hip-hop and masterfully combined them to create his most personal and emotional material to date. Now, he's gearing up for the release of his long awaited follow up Nothing Was The Same, and although we've had a steady stream of great songs in the years since Take Care (“5 a.m. In Toronto,” “Hold On We're Going Home,” “Started From The Bottom”), there's still no telling what this album is going to sound like. Regardless, we're almost guaranteed to get something great, as Drake has always proven himself to be one of the most artistic and focused mainstream rappers out there right now.

CHVRCHES - The Bones of What We Believe (September 30; Glassnote)
NoteEven though it seems to happen pretty frequently these days, when a band generates a very large amount of buzz off of nothing but a couple of singles, it's hard not to take notice. CHVRCHES have taken the indie world by storm with their excellent singles “The Mother We Share” and “Recover,” and on September 30th they are due to put out their debut album The Bones of What We Believe. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with their sugary synth-pop on a full length album, but if what we've heard up to this point is any indication, we can expect a whole new batch of songs to constantly get stuck in our heads.

Danny Brown - Old (September 30; Fool's Gold)
NoteDanny Brown is arguably one of the most interesting people in rap right now, and his forthcoming album Old has been one of the most anticipated albums in the genre for quite some time. Although XXX was released over two years ago, he has been far from absent in the game since its release as he spent most of 2012 appearing on numerous guest features where he absolutely murdered everyone in sight with his spastic voice and dominant flow. Danny Brown has always been one to bring the energy, and the few samples we've heard of Old up to this point, especially newly released single “ODB,” suggest we're in for one hell of a ride.

Volcano Choir - Repave (September 3; Jagjaguwar)
NoteJustin Vernon has been taking his time with the next Bon Iver release, and at this point I would be surprised if we got any new Bon Iver material before 2015. Thankfully, Vernon isn't the type to completely disappear from music for that long. One of his other projects, Volcano Choir, is set to release their second full length, Repave, on September 3rd. With this album, the group has reportedly become a “real band,” moving beyond being a simple side project and fully fleshing out their sound. Although it could be awhile before we see another Bon Iver album, Repave will give Justin Vernon fans enough quality music to hold us over until that day comes.
03:45 PM on 09/02/13
connorfosho
@connorlarowe
User Info.
No Saves The Day?
03:49 PM on 09/02/13
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
1. Moving Mountains - Moving Mountains
2. Touche Amore - Is Survived By
3. Balance And Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing
4. Into It. Over It. - Intersections
5. Saves The Day - Saves The Day
03:49 PM on 09/02/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I mean...we're gonna end up leaving a few out. the month is packed haha
03:51 PM on 09/02/13
fbrrocks
Registered Member
User Info.
no Ariana Grande
03:57 PM on 09/02/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
wasn't there a thread like this before?

1. Ariana Grande
2. Danny Brown
3. The Roots and Elvis Costello
4. Chvrches
5. Arctic Monkeys
03:57 PM on 09/02/13
ImAMetaphor
Not throwing stones at you anymore
User Info.
So ready to dive neck deep in all this great music.
03:59 PM on 09/02/13
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
She does really sound like Hayley Williams. Have listened to the record a few times since getting i - it's good, not great.
04:02 PM on 09/02/13
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
IIOI, CHVRCHES, Touche Amore, Moving Mountains and Modern Life is War.

As for CHVRCHES, I've heard 10 of the 12 tracks off of the Standard edition (Some from seeing them live) and some of them are more slow burners but still accessible. You can hear the Depeche Mode influence on 'Night Sky' and 'Lungs'. At the moment 'Tether' is the one I'm looking forward to a studio version of from hearing it live.
04:02 PM on 09/02/13
coreysetfail
I Blue Myself.
User Info.
1) The 1975 - The 1975
2) Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe
3) Volcano Choir - Repave
4) Saves The Day - Saves The Day
5) Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience 2/2
6) Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
7) MGMT - MGMT
8) Grouplove - Spreading Rumours
9) Balance & Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing
10) Moving Mountains - Moving Mountains

Other:
Grand Theft Auto V and Puppeteer on PS3.
Hell Baby & Don Jon in theaters.

Oh, and the return of: The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, Eastbound & Down, How I Met Your Mother, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Modern Family, South Park, It's Always Sunny, The League, Parks & Recreation & Saturday Night Live. Not to mention the ten or so new series pilots I'm gonna check out this season.

I love September.
04:06 PM on 09/02/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
wasn't there a thread like this before?

1. Ariana Grande
2. Danny Brown
3. The Roots and Elvis Costello
4. Chvrches
5. Arctic Monkeys
there is a thread like this every month
04:07 PM on 09/02/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
what a month.
04:08 PM on 09/02/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
She does really sound like Hayley Williams. Have listened to the record a few times since getting i - it's good, not great.
I think musically it's more interesting and fun than any Paramore album
04:09 PM on 09/02/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Unless the new album is a complete change of sound, Tonight Alive sound much more like Paramore than Citizen...I mean, they aren't Paramore clones at all, but the pop elements are so much stronger than in anything Citizen has done.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos