AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 219
11:33 PM on 09/08/13
rushour144
User Info.
Darn near flawless album. "Back of Your Head" may be hands down the greatest song they ever wrote. It has the ambience of "Brother, Sister" era mwY, allthewhile staying completely original and true to their sound. And that light/dark bridge section on "I'm Swimming" is one of the coolest segments of any B&C song, in my honest opinion. Unless IIOI puts out something literally beyond words, this will be my AOTY. Bravo B&C, you've created a masterpiece.
11:35 PM on 09/08/13
rushour144
User Info.
Great, great review.

Mentioned this in a thread somewhere, but one thing I think is important to mention about this record - it doesn't 'replace' Separation for me in any way. I love both records, for different reasons.

The opposite is true of Thrice's final LPs. I really enjoyed Beggars - but when Major/Minor released, Beggars became...less. The latter record stayed within the world of the former, so much so that it almost made Beggars irrelevant to me (that's an exaggeration, but I certainly listen to it much less now).

Separation and The Things We Think We're Missing hit different notes for me. The earlier album is more raw and unrefined, while the new is more polished and explores the more bombastic sides of B&C. Both will continually receive regular plays, and I'm not sure I have a favorite between them.

Hopefully that made sense.

Very well said. I am listening to this way more right now, for obvious reasons, but Seperation will continue to get tons of spins from me. Like you said, in different words, once Major/Minor came out, I hardly ever listened to Beggars...not the case with these two albums. Both are incredible in their own right! Thanks for this wonderful insight.
11:38 PM on 09/08/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
I loved Separation; but this album decimates it in my book. I'm always nervous when Will Yip produces something; he's been hit or miss this year, leading Pity Sex, Citizen, and Daylight to capitalize on just about everything except for what I actually loved about their sounds. Thankfully, the opposite is true here. Everything I've loved about their past releases is focused tenfold on this record.

Great review. Should have given some attention to Jeremy Bolm's guest spot in Notice Me, it's definitely one of the high points of the thirteen songs.
11:52 PM on 09/08/13
chrislauren
laa-dispute.tumblr.com
User Info.
I loved Separation; but this album decimates it in my book. I'm always nervous when Will Yip produces something; he's been hit or miss this year, leading Pity Sex, Citizen, and Daylight to capitalize on just about everything except for what I actually loved about their sounds. Thankfully, the opposite is true here. Everything I've loved about their past releases is focused tenfold on this record.

Great review. Should have given some attention to Jeremy Bolm's guest spot in Notice Me, it's definitely one of the high points of the thirteen songs.
Jeremy Bolm is not on that song or the record at all. That's all Jon right there. And I concur with everyone else, great review. I'm a huge Balance fan and think they just done did it with this album. It's far ahead of Separation for me, and I didn't think they would be in any way able to top it. I don't think I'm ready to witness some of these songs live.
11:53 PM on 09/08/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.

I think Will Yip is the best producer around right now....and unless I am mistaken, Jeremy Bolm is not on this record at all.
11:59 PM on 09/08/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
I think Will Yip is the best producer around right now....and unless I am mistaken, Jeremy Bolm is not on this record at all.
That most certainly sounds like Jeremy at the end; multiple fan blogs have the song listed as featuring him, and I admit I've assumed part of the appeal of doing a record release show together was for them to play the song together live. I only have a digital copy of the album thus far so I can't look at the album's liner notes to say for sure, so I'll assume you know more than me, but a good portion of the internet is under the impression that that's Jeremy screaming at the end there.

Also, Will Yip has done good work, i.e. Floral Green, Magnolia, the new Blacklisted stuff, but I can't forgive the latter half of Youth or how Feast of Love is so repetitive and devoid of the hooks that made love Pity Sex to begin with.

Edit: http://balanceandcomposurefans.tumbl...me-cant-see-it

A quick search pulled this up, for one.
12:00 AM on 09/09/13
chrislauren
laa-dispute.tumblr.com
User Info.
12:03 AM on 09/09/13
rushour144
User Info.

Oh man, did not know Jon did guest vocals!!! So much more pumped now!
12:03 AM on 09/09/13
k1guitar
Keep calm and BLEGH!
User Info.
Stop your cheerleading Thomas. I really can't trust a single review you write because every album you review is just the most mind blowing thing you have ever listened to. Aside from trashing the Transit record, I really can't trust your opinion anymore. Seriously give an honest review that isn't using pure hyperbole.

Sorry man.
12:12 AM on 09/09/13
chrislauren
laa-dispute.tumblr.com
User Info.
also, any idea when the podcast featuring the guys will be posted?
12:14 AM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Stop your cheerleading Thomas. I really can't trust a single review you write because every album you review is just the most mind blowing thing you have ever listened to. Aside from trashing the Transit record, I really can't trust your opinion anymore. Seriously give an honest review that using pure hyperbole.

Sorry man.
I think this is sarcasm.

I hope this is sarcasm?
12:18 AM on 09/09/13
k1guitar
Keep calm and BLEGH!
User Info.
I think this is sarcasm.

I hope this is sarcasm?

Idk I wish it was. Every time I read one of his reviews it's just too much.

But that's just my opinion. All his reviews are so positive, it kinda ruined "Greatest Generation" for me.

Yea I know I'm being a dick.

Edit:same for "handwritten"
12:23 AM on 09/09/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Idk I wish it was. Every time I read one of his reviews it's just too much.

But that's just my opinion. All his reviews are so positive, it kinda ruined "Greatest Generation" for me.

Yea I know I'm being a dick.

Edit:same for "handwritten"
I mean, when you don't have much time to review, you write about what you're passionate about. Naturally, you're more likely to review music you enjoy that music you don't enjoy.

If he was still doing 50+ reviews a year and they were positive, then sure, I hear you - but he's written six this year, with one fairly negative (Transit, which you mentioned), and two N/A scores. I don't see why other positive reviews invalidate his opinion.

Also, if that thought process is true, I'm in trouble too.
01:03 AM on 09/09/13
k1guitar
Keep calm and BLEGH!
User Info.
I mean, when you don't have much time to review, you write about what you're passionate about. Naturally, you're more likely to review music you enjoy that music you don't enjoy.

If he was still doing 50+ reviews a year and they were positive, then sure, I hear you - but he's written six this year, with one fairly negative (Transit, which you mentioned), and two N/A scores. I don't see why other positive reviews invalidate his opinion.

Also, if that thought process is true, I'm in trouble too.
I want to backtrack on the word "positive", its really the hyperbole bothers me. BUT, if hes only writing 6-8 reviews a year, why is he getting the "high profile" reviews? i know a lot of people (including myself) that want to hear this record, and these reviews are the ones going into metacritic and the like. so why isint a more experienced reviewer (like yourself) taking the lead on these? i get that hes passionate about what he writes, i wouldn't expect an unpaid contributor to write about crap he dosent want to listen to, but it seems strange that someone who takes only 6-8 reviews a year to write the only staff review about the most anticipated records of the year (including Generation). I get everyone has their biases (i dont think ill ever read a negative ETID review from drew, even if they did a faithful Katy Perry cover album) but some times it feels too much.

i love this site, been my #1 source for years, but when i see you guys in all the major review places, i just wish the reviews were taken more seriously.

EDIT: And how can you call TGG a N/A score? He would that record a 12 if he could of. Its my favorite album this year by far, but come on, i get when he did that with Ocean Avenue, but to do that for TGG is nonsense.
02:57 AM on 09/09/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
So I thought the first album was just okay, and didn't have much staying power outside of a few tracks (Tore You Apart, Echo, Patience). I'm not sure if I should pick it up without listening first...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos