Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 219
07:11 AM on 09/09/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Excellent review Thomas, this record is fantastic. I agree with Jack that I love both this and Separation for different reasons, but everything on this record sounds more refined. I love the production, and I love that the songs feel either heavier than anything they've done yet or softer, with more singing. There are too many records this month and next to name this my AOTY for sure, but I have a pretty good feeling about it.
07:11 AM on 09/09/13
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
If you're 11 years old and have never listened to another band with aggressive vocals before, then sure, Jon totally sounds like Jeremy Bolm at the end of "Notice Me".

Even so, the difference between their respective tones is pretty stark.
07:12 AM on 09/09/13
crowdediceb0x
User Info.
Great, great review.

Mentioned this in a thread somewhere, but one thing I think is important to mention about this record - it doesn't 'replace' Separation for me in any way. I love both records, for different reasons.

The opposite is true of Thrice's final LPs. I really enjoyed Beggars - but when Major/Minor released, Beggars became...less. The latter record stayed within the world of the former, so much so that it almost made Beggars irrelevant to me (that's an exaggeration, but I certainly listen to it much less now).

Separation and The Things We Think We're Missing hit different notes for me. The earlier album is more raw and unrefined, while the new is more polished and explores the more bombastic sides of B&C. Both will continually receive regular plays, and I'm not sure I have a favorite between them.

Hopefully that made sense.
Not sure this is the right place for this....but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on the Thrice note. Beggars is an infinitely better put together and interesting album than Major/Minor. I think that Major/Minor actually made Beggars much more relevant.
07:17 AM on 09/09/13
Ryan Dennehy
I don't like this record really. It all runs together, even with Jon's voice at its best.

I also do not understand this sentiment at all:
Quote:
While electronic music and radio pop find themselves embedded, fixed in the permanent present...rock and roll knows no hour. It’s as limitless and boundless as anything in this world can be, and The Things We Think We’re Missing illuminates that beautifully.

Other than that, the review was a good read and I understand the emotions you have about the record and how to write about it, even if I don't share them.
07:22 AM on 09/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.

Other than that, the review was a good read and I understand the emotions you have about the record and how to write about it, even if I don't share them.
Agreed, electronic music is just as diverse as rock, if not, far far more. The possibilities in electronic music are seemingly endless.
07:23 AM on 09/09/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Yeah don't understand that part at all.
07:25 AM on 09/09/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
nice review! hope I get mine today.
07:36 AM on 09/09/13
blackmold
Bro
User Info.
That most certainly sounds like Jeremy at the end; multiple fan blogs have the song listed as featuring him, and I admit I've assumed part of the appeal of doing a record release show together was for them to play the song together live. I only have a digital copy of the album thus far so I can't look at the album's liner notes to say for sure, so I'll assume you know more than me, but a good portion of the internet is under the impression that that's Jeremy screaming at the end there.

Also, Will Yip has done good work, i.e. Floral Green, Magnolia, the new Blacklisted stuff, but I can't forgive the latter half of Youth or how Feast of Love is so repetitive and devoid of the hooks that made love Pity Sex to begin with.

Edit: http://balanceandcomposurefans.tumbl...me-cant-see-it

A quick search pulled this up, for one.
If you blame Will Yip for making those bands change their sounds then you have no idea what you are talking about. Both Citizen and Pity Sex have said that they made the albums they wanted to make with Will. He doesn't force bands to change their sounds and that's ridiculous to suggest.
07:40 AM on 09/09/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I never really got into B&C, but I'm going to be seeing them with Title Fight in a couple weeks. Where should I start if I want to familiarize myself with the band before the show?
07:51 AM on 09/09/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I never really got into B&C, but I'm going to be seeing them with Title Fight in a couple weeks. Where should I start if I want to familiarize myself with the band before the show?
Get Separation.
08:04 AM on 09/09/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
Quote:
Rock and roll music confronts struggle, life, death, love, loss, relationships of all types, situations real and imaginary. We listen and strongly relate to stories told through the eyes of characters we’ll never meet, filtered through the lens of someone’s mind which we’ll never fully understand. It’s a beautiful thing this music presents us with, the chance to explicitly escape reality while simultaneously being our best weapon to confront it.

love this.
Amib70
You think of everything
User Info.
great record great review go team
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I want to backtrack on the word "positive", its really the hyperbole bothers me. BUT, if hes only writing 6-8 reviews a year, why is he getting the "high profile" reviews? i know a lot of people (including myself) that want to hear this record, and these reviews are the ones going into metacritic and the like. so why isint a more experienced reviewer (like yourself) taking the lead on these? i get that hes passionate about what he writes, i wouldn't expect an unpaid contributor to write about crap he dosent want to listen to, but it seems strange that someone who takes only 6-8 reviews a year to write the only staff review about the most anticipated records of the year (including Generation). I get everyone has their biases (i dont think ill ever read a negative ETID review from drew, even if they did a faithful Katy Perry cover album) but some times it feels too much.

i love this site, been my #1 source for years, but when i see you guys in all the major review places, i just wish the reviews were taken more seriously.

EDIT: And how can you call TGG a N/A score? He would that record a 12 if he could of. Its my favorite album this year by far, but come on, i get when he did that with Ocean Avenue, but to do that for TGG is nonsense.
Haha, I promise that Thomas is a much more experienced reviewer than myself.

But if it's any consolation, I would have given this record the exact same score. It's an Album Of The Year contender for me, battling with Letlive and Bad Rabbits.
08:06 AM on 09/09/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I don't like this record really. It all runs together, even with Jon's voice at its best.

what about it don't you understand? i would happily explain what i mean.
08:08 AM on 09/09/13
wanielledalsh
https://twitter.com/WanielleDalsh
User Info.
What a great review Thomas. Probably my favorite review from you this year.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos