Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 42.
11:53 AM on 09/11/13
Skinkie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gotta start at the beginning and listen to all of his stuff. Only heard the past few albums but I really like them and have been a fan since Sycamore Meadows. Should I bother with anything pre-Marvelous 3?
There's some good stuff on the Floyds and Floyds Funk Revival album, but nothing I'd go questing after till after you've already heard all the solo/Marvelous 3/1969 stuff. Definitely hardcore fan space
12:03 PM on 09/11/13
RyanCT
Changin' strings, bangin' on things
User Info.
I posted a very long comment and then the page failed. Sucks. Anyhow, in short I will just say that I saw a lot of Butch concerts between LOSC and Letters. I got to hear many of the songs on Letters in their infancy, in acoustic, raw versions. I loved it. So I guess it took me a little while to fully embrace this album because I was comparing all the album versions to the live versions. I've sometimes found that Butch holds back vocally on this album, whereas live he really shines as an amazing singer. That being said, I love this album. And Stateline...holy shit, even before I was a father the line about "my boy will never know me with another man by his side" brought tears to my eyes. what a powerful track.
12:54 PM on 09/11/13
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Lovely read Craig, though I definitely disagree.
01:24 PM on 09/11/13
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
The longer mix is OK, the Remix Jam would have gone on a bit too long for the album breaking the flow too much, and if I'm not misremembering, it also starts with Sunny Day Real Estate
Yup. That was the first version he released, and I believe the third song he released before the album itself. I think I got it off WinMX or something haha
01:28 PM on 09/11/13
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I really don't understand why "Stateline" is a hidden track. Has he ever explained that? My brother doesn't count it as the closer because it's technically not a part of the official tracklist (as the tracks appear on the CD), but it's probably my second or third favorite album grand finale ever. Wish he would play it live more often.

Didn't even know the longer version of "Summer Jam" was out there. Going to have to try tracking that down.
I should commend you on undertaking this project. It's really awesome to see others who love Butch as much as I do -- there's a nice small community here of people with sincere adoration for the man, and to see your passion and enthusiasm come through in your very thorough and very specific reviews is simply awesome.

I hope the man himself sees them and reads through them, because I like to believe you speak for many of us when writing these out.
03:40 PM on 09/11/13
Miss Nikki
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't Move just kills me every time.

Nikki
Butch Walker Australia page
04:56 PM on 09/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Gotta start at the beginning and listen to all of his stuff. Only heard the past few albums but I really like them and have been a fan since Sycamore Meadows. Should I bother with anything pre-Marvelous 3?

What haven't you heard yet?

I love reading pieces where people who love a record gush about why. Great job, man.

Thanks dude. This one I actually found harder than the rest of the reviews I've written so far, just because this album is so important to me and I could have written so much more about all of these songs.

I posted a very long comment and then the page failed. Sucks. Anyhow, in short I will just say that I saw a lot of Butch concerts between LOSC and Letters. I got to hear many of the songs on Letters in their infancy, in acoustic, raw versions. I loved it. So I guess it took me a little while to fully embrace this album because I was comparing all the album versions to the live versions. I've sometimes found that Butch holds back vocally on this album, whereas live he really shines as an amazing singer. That being said, I love this album. And Stateline...holy shit, even before I was a father the line about "my boy will never know me with another man by his side" brought tears to my eyes. what a powerful track.

Interesting, I'm completely the opposite on the vocals. I think that this is one of the only albums of his where almost all of the songs are superior on record to how they are live. I think he does things here vocally that are very, very difficult to re-create in a live setting, just because his voice sounds so pure and warm and it's hard to get that sound as a tenor when you're singing 2-hour rock shows every night. "Don't Move," in particular, is a song that I love live, but which reaches another level in the studio.

Lovely read Craig, though I definitely disagree.

Care to elaborate?

I should commend you on undertaking this project. It's really awesome to see others who love Butch as much as I do -- there's a nice small community here of people with sincere adoration for the man, and to see your passion and enthusiasm come through in your very thorough and very specific reviews is simply awesome.

I hope the man himself sees them and reads through them, because I like to believe you speak for many of us when writing these out.

Thanks for the compliments man, I'm really glad you're following these reviews and participating in the conversation.

I've been tweeting him with each one. Hope he notices one of these days, though I think he's pretty busy with the tour this week.
04:58 PM on 09/11/13
sammyboy516
User Info.

I've only heard Sycamore Meadows and everything after that album
05:00 PM on 09/11/13
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.

Thanks dude. This one I actually found harder than the rest of the reviews I've written so far, just because this album is so important to me and I could have written so much more about all of these songs.

Interesting, I'm completely the opposite on the vocals. I think that this is one of the only albums of his where almost all of the songs are superior on record to how they are live. I think he does things here vocally that are very, very difficult to re-create in a live setting, just because his voice sounds so pure and warm and it's hard to get that sound as a tenor when you're singing 2-hour rock shows every night. "Don't Move," in particular, is a song that I love live, but which reaches another level in the studio.

Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the compliments man, I'm really glad you're following these reviews and participating in the conversation.

I've been tweeting him with each one. Hope he notices one of these days, though I think he's pretty busy with the tour this week.

Disagree was the wrong word, just didn't hit me the way it hit you and of course it's hard to totally agree with the first point you made if I don't feel that way.

Love these reviews though and the amount of passion you are putting into them. It's making me feel inadequate because I don't like it as much as you, haha, which is a good thing.
05:17 PM on 09/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I've only heard Sycamore Meadows and everything after that album

Nice, well you're definitely in for a treat with this one and the album I'm reviewing tomorrow. And you can't go wrong with the Marvelous 3 stuff or the first solo record, but if you like Sycamore, I'd recommend Letters as the album you should listen to next.

Disagree was the wrong word, just didn't hit me the way it hit you and of course it's hard to totally agree with the first point you made if I don't feel that way.

Love these reviews though and the amount of passion you are putting into them. It's making me feel inadequate because I don't like it as much as you, haha, which is a good thing.

Haha, that's fair. First point was really meant as a way of drawing people in, even though I definitely feel that way.

Thanks for reading, either way. The goal, of course, is to inspire some people to listen to these albums for the first time, get others to revisit or reconsider their opinions on them, or just generate discussion among fans. So I hope you're listening along!
08:09 PM on 09/11/13
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
It's so good.

Also, I believe "All falls Aaprt" was left off of this as well, which is another fantastic track.

11:59 PM on 09/11/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
One of my favorite albums ever.
05:53 AM on 09/12/13
RyanCT
Changin' strings, bangin' on things
User Info.
I rethought what I wrote above. I will def. give it to you that he slays 'Don't Move' on the album and that the bridge is not quite as strong live. Really gives me a Jeff Buckley vibe.
06:39 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
One of my favorite albums ever.

I remember your review of this one. Shame it disappeared.

I rethought what I wrote above. I will def. give it to you that he slays 'Don't Move' on the album and that the bridge is not quite as strong live. Really gives me a Jeff Buckley vibe.

He just plays the song differently, which is fine. But yeah, Buckley is definitely a fair parallel for that bridge, and that's a huge compliment.
06:50 AM on 09/12/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
What have you listened to from him? Honestly, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this record didn't quite do it for you, just because it's more poppy than what I think you tend to normally listen to. But yeah, this is my second favorite album of all time, so...
Honestly I've given all of his solo work a shot at some point or another
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News