Username
Password
The Dropkick Murphys News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 21 of 21.
06:16 AM on 09/12/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
I guess that would matter a great deal to me if I were in Ireland.
In the US we celebrate anglicized holidays with anglicized names and Americanized traditions, whether we should or not. It's cool on you to celebrate Padraig, okay. But if it's willfully ignorant to call St. Patrick's Day "Patty's" in America, it's also willfully ignorant use basically any English-language terminology for a religious holiday.

So the question is, do a bunch of drunk assholes really run around calling it "Paddy's" every year because they understand the etymological Irish roots of the holiday's name and have consciously chosen to ignore the American tradition of anglicizing everything? I doubt it.
You said "the Irish call it Lá Fhéile Pádraig", so I guess it does matter to you?

In Ireland we do understand the "etymological Irish roots of the holiday's name", because, you know, it's an Irish holiday. Also, as an Irishman I know that it's Paddy and not Patty, because Patrick is an Irish name. I don't know why you're arguing with me on this. You're American. You're wrong. It's Paddy.
07:14 AM on 09/12/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
You said "the Irish call it Lá Fhéile Pádraig", so I guess it does matter to you?

In Ireland we do understand the "etymological Irish roots of the holiday's name", because, you know, it's an Irish holiday. Also, as an Irishman I know that it's Paddy and not Patty, because Patrick is an Irish name. I don't know why you're arguing with me on this. You're American. You're wrong. It's Paddy.
My point in saying that was to explain that "Paddy" makes sense in Ireland but not in the US.
You don't seem to be understanding that half my point is that it's different between the two countries.

But your frustration is a pretty funny case of cultural appropriation pissing off the people whose culture has been appropriated :P
07:21 AM on 09/12/13
Fame<Infamy
gonna bang bang fuck you up
User Info.
My point in saying that was to explain that "Paddy" makes sense in Ireland but not in the US.
You don't seem to be understanding that half my point is that it's different between the two countries.

But your frustration is a pretty funny case of cultural appropriation pissing off the people whose culture has been appropriated :P
And my point is that it doesn't matter that there's a difference between our countries, it's still "Paddy".

Nah I mean we have fatty "American-style" fast food restaurants over here, so it's all cool.
07:53 AM on 09/12/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
And my point is that it doesn't matter that there's a difference between our countries, it's still "Paddy".

Nah I mean we have fatty "American-style" fast food restaurants over here, so it's all cool.
Agree to disagree, I guess.
Though if you can say "You're American. You're wrong. It's Paddy," I can use the exact same rationale.
01:01 PM on 09/12/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Agree to disagree, I guess.
Though if you can say "You're American. You're wrong. It's Paddy," I can use the exact same rationale.
Not sure why you're upset the Ts get changed the Ds
There's bigger issues like why William is turned to Billy
And Edward to Teddy
01:11 PM on 09/12/13
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Not sure why you're upset the Ts get changed the Ds
There's bigger issues like why William is turned to Billy
And Edward to Teddy
Nah both of those come from the Old English tradition of swapping letters to make rhyming nicknames.
Edward => Ed => Ted => Derivations of Ted // William => Will => Bill => Billy

I also never said I was upset, just that I don't get it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS