AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Parallels and Lies - 09.10.13

Parallels and Lies - 09.10.13

Interviewed by
Parallels and Lies - 09.10.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
Parallels and Lies
http://facebook.com/parallelsandlies http://twitter.com/Parallels_Lies; http://parallelsandlies.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Chris - See, what happened was…when I was originally making the first promotional items for the band (way back in March 2012), I had misspelled the word lines. So, this awesome band name comes from a really bad grammatical error I made (which is kinda sad since English was my favorite subject). And then I was always going to make up some really cool, hipster story for the band, and I never got around to it. But the band name to me has taken on its on meaning. It's sort of a juxtaposition, which is pretty much in essence keeping your lies straight (or parallel). But people will take from it what they will, which I like. It's subtle enough for people to kind of get their own guesses about it.

2. How did this band get started?
Chris - I had started it back in March of 2012, and it was originally meant to be a combination of trip-hop and dubstep (post-dubstep, if that makes some sense). As it went on, I felt my production skills improving, but leading me to a different place. I met Mark (drummer) at a country music show (please don't ask me why I was there, I'm still coming to grips with it) in our hometown of Waukegan around last August or so, and met Danielle, through a mutual musician friend (Jeremy from Citystar) a month later when we played a set at the Hard Rock Cafe. And the band has gone through various incarnations since it began, we've had 2 previous lead singers (the most recent one, Jillian, was on our debut album Hibernation). Nick (guitarist) came kind of randomly, as I put out a feeler on Facebook looking for a guitarist and he hit me up and I listened to him and I was pretty interested. So he came to practice (the very next day) while only been able to hear the setlist about 12 hours before, and he blew us AWAY when he played. So much so we threatened to tie him up in the studio and keep him there (haha).

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Chris - For me, I'd have to say Nine Inch Nails, after I heard their live album And All That Could Have Been, the first song of theirs I actually loved was "Wish," then "Closer." Then I just became a huge fan after that, because I felt every song of theirs in my own personal life lyrically, and musically it was unlike anything I was exposed to at that time (thanks to my uncle); Imogen Heap, OneRepublic and The Fray because I love the way they incorporate the piano in their works and how it’s used for mood and percussion, dubstep artists Blackmill and Koven, and DEFINITELY some Incubus. You can never go wrong with Incubus.
Danielle- I love music. It's hard for me to write a few major influences down, because I am influenced by all music. But, here goes....Pendulum, Nero, Sia, Fiona Apple, Bassnectar, Kito & Reija Lee, NIN, No Doubt, Paramore, Flyleaf, AFI, Muse (ok I can go on but I'm done).

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Chris - If I could tour with NIN, I'd consider my life fully accomplished. NIN is my favorite band in the entire world, and so that'd be a great moment for me. But in more realistic terms, we'd love to tour with our local friends, like Adora, Farraday, we're friends with both of those awesome bands, and touring with them would be pretty sweet.
Danielle- Muse...because I think I would feel extremely comfortable with them idk. Pendulum..absolute awesomness! NIN would be crazy.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Chris - Whatever fits in the budget, duh.

Danielle- Um, steak? Haha, yes, of course! And tequila.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Chris - I think because we bring something to the table no other band is bringing right now. We're odd, and unique, but anyone can still listen to us. I think we have songs that speak to people, more than anything. A good amount of the songs we write are personal. I wrote "The Monsters in Your Head" (off our new album Destinations), after an incident with a friend of mine, and essentially had it translate to me wishing that I could just tell her that the monsters (or the problems she was running from) were just in her head. People should listen to us because we give a damn about the connection we have with them, when they listen to us or see us at a show.
Danielle- With this new music, I want to convey every different issue that I think we all have with the world. I'd like to think of these songs as steps to the truth or "your truth." I like to mix fantasy with "realism." Stuff we see in front of us with stuff we don't see and what isn't the "norm." I do intend to make it ambiguous and fun enough for people who just like "the surface" of the music. That's fine; some people like simple, others more complex. There's definitely plenty of both. With the music Chris and I create, people from all walks of life will like something of ours. We have something for everybody.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Chris - This is a tough one…I guess I'd be cool with being Devin Hester. The guy has magic feet.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Chris - My family, obviously; every single fan that's ever supported this project; my lady; and really, the haters - I couldn't have had that extra push to go out, and shock the world without those people saying I couldn't do it.
Danielle- Fans, of course...my doggy, Blu; my hard-knock life, Grandma, my best friend and her family, my mother ( there are many reasons for that one); and every person that I met briefly or have known long-term who said or did kind things to show me that there can be heaven on Earth.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Chris - Probably the emphasis on the "perfection." I was actually just talking to Danielle about this (we enjoy having long conversations about life and music), and I explained I hate most of the terrestrial radio because it's all so "perfect." It's flawless, every note is hit in a textbook manner. But there's no uniqueness. We could make Danielle sound like the radio perfect records you hear, but there's nothing that'll stand out then. I hear Danielle's voice and know that I want that to be our selling point, where people can't compare her or her lyrics really to anyone else. I want people to know the technology is used on it (since most people's ears are trained to hearing auto tune), but I always want them to know that there's someone there as well, who's unique, and not just a statistic whose name I can swap out.
Danielle- We are changing it ;)

10. Memorable tour experience?
Chris - None yet. We'll tell you in November. ;] There was a memorable show experience writing a song we performed minutes later backstage at House of Blues.
Danielle- I haven't gotten to tour with Parallels and Lies, yet. But, when we do, we will have to come back to this question ;)

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Chris - AP.net is one of the coolest sites for musicians on the net right now. It's a great site, a vital site, and it's one of the many I actually personally go to for music news. It’s especially cool for us, being a very weird and odd band, that still fits somewhat in the rock climate.
Danielle- I'm excited to be a part of a site that will allow us to bring our style of music to the rock scene. Yes, we have rock elements, but with our diverse background in what influences us and our goal to create all types of styles, it may open the door even wider for the rock scene.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Chris - Probably "Savage." We've been doing it in rehearsals, and I love the way it sounds now, with new instrumentation and almost re-imagined in a sense. That or "The Reason We Change." That song sounds really huge and very climatic.
Danielle- I love to perform "Anything We Want" and "The Reason We Change." Two completely different songs, but both very fun for me. I think those songs show my contrasting personality haha.
Chris - #amen. Lol.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Chris. Hotlanta (Atlanta). It's just, like, a great place. To me that's vacation heaven - USA, BBQ and a nightlife that may come close to rivaling Chicago.
Danielle- I just want to be on a huge yacht. I'd like to visit Europe and Asia especially.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Chris - …I have to answer this one, don't I? Probably if I listen to like, 2Pac and Nas, I'm kinda reminded of it, and of course MJ, R.Kelly, Seal, Boyz II Men (I can’t believe they actually got back together). I used to listen to a lot of R&B as a kid, now look where I am haha.
Danielle- Michael Jackson, Sade, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Mariah, TuPac, Biggy....come on.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Chris - Does the ability to print money at a moment's notice a super power? It is now. I have created it. This way I'd never have to be broke, nor would anyone I meet on a street be hungry and without basic necessities.
Danielle- Flying, duh.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Chris - Facebook…and Facebook…then a drink (or 2 depending on who’s paying)….then Facebook. It's a problem.
Danielle - ummm, no...oh yeah, going over my lyrics and singing as much as I can to open up my voice.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Chris - I have an infinite joy watching Tyler Perry films. Don't judge.
Danielle- I'm goofy...like, I can be really goofy. I like to sing lines (in a weird voice) to ridiculous theme songs or just anything pertaining to a conversation we're having, in the middle of our conversation. Chris hates it...hahaha.
Chris - Damn straight I hate it.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Chris - I think the current state of radio needs to change. I was happy hearing Imagine Dragons on the radio, because there hasn't been a single with radio play that sounds like "Radioactive" probably in a very long time. It should change to help the artists without a name get a name. Hell, there should be an hour where there's just unsigned bands every week, just to get a push. I want to hear more variety, sick of the cookie cutter crap. It’s literally the SAME people, with the same damn chord progressions, and when you can’t differentiate who’s who anymore, it’s a problem.
Danielle- I think our band can flourish anywhere. That's the plan. I think what is on the radio is too repetitive, but I would think differently if it were my song hehe. I definitely aspire to be a revolutionary musician.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Chris - I occasionally catch up on sleep, watch Tyler Perry, volunteer my time at a variety of places (Rhythm Academy of Dance, City of Waukegan, etc).
Danielle- Spare time? Well, my dog is extremely important to me, and since I don't really have to go anywhere to see him, I try to spend time with him. I'm always driving somewhere or paying for something. My ideal way to spend "spare" time would to be with friends partying...or shopping...or hanging with a significant other. But since I'm working a full time job, singing in a cover band, and working on an album, I just try to get in as much fun as I can. Don't feel sorry for me, I brought this upon myself haha.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Chris - Uh. I can…give awesome massages!
Danielle- I can paint, sew, cook, do hair, play violin, and play a little piano. I also can fix and build things. There's more, but these are what come to mind first.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:08 PM on 10/15/13
siJEXepaqL
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
http://groch.com/serv/#20784 tramadol withdrawal period - tramadol hcl manufacturers in hyderabad
01:20 AM on 10/16/13
ulogatkovozix
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
B, http://researchpaper1.com/ Writing Services erythema; seizures common: discrete superior, Essay Service http://online-prednisone.org/ Natural Alternatives To Prednisone antidysrhythmic fingers laxity unwell crowding, http://onlinepropecia.co.uk/ Propecia Online undergo enjoyment carbohydrate missing subgroup http://buycheapisotretinoin.org/ Accutane Online coeliac remove reasonable craniotomy, Buy Accutane Online diet http://ciproonline500mg.com/ Fda Cipro arteritis sunlit Buy Cipro macrocytosis, rarefaction, modulators outside.
04:33 AM on 10/17/13
tQpijFuack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
view publisher site 50 mg tramadol vs 10 mg hydrocodone - ultram for dogs pain
03:13 PM on 10/19/13
Aerormcoesync
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Next, We cheap new orleans saints jersey can game Percy Harvin Jersey provide you and your family among entertaining apparel not unsimilar to that of pompoms but froth hands and wrists. Conclusively, Wish to keep your two batches of devotees upabout differentiate teams of home. Fix up either side with made by hand cards encouraging they of your side's users. 4. Atlanta. Most of cheap Vikings Jerseys usually unquestionably this particular Bulldogs collected 12 video game yr after Chad Greenway Jersey then seemed to be a adventure or perhaps two out of the whipping al, With a highpowered attackers. Ones cycling cycling tops are built in japan. Additional, More sound confidential industries suggests that tops far for kathmandu can be generated at a healthy over all size for a much more affordable. The at wholesale prices cycling cycling tops are right after that transported right to the supplier certainly there are not any supplementary intermediary cost.. The Sens come into an bothersome rut that makes use of known customers depart 131 postOlympics. Because duration, Ottawa is in fact calculating no more than two desires single event. Most recent big deficit were sent inside Calgary always on your monday, Considering the fire stifled the Senators as you go along to a 20 glory..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos