AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Thrice News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dustin Kensrue on Why He Wrote a Worship Record

Posted by - 11:15 AM on 09/30/13
Dustin Kensrue blogged about why he opted to write a worship record and how it differs from previous songwriting efforts. His new record, The Water & The Blood, is available today.
I understand that in this form, these truths might have a glare to them that could be unpleasant for some at first glance. But I would encourage anyone who has been challenged or provoked by my songs in the past to listen to the new album in light of the framework Iíve outlined above.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 103
11:20 AM on 09/30/13
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Fantastic read. Love Dustin's heart for worship, Christ, and the church.
11:32 AM on 09/30/13
mackieinva
waiting for the day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I get it, but nah, I'm good.
11:33 AM on 09/30/13
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
Sorry, but no. Doesn't interest me at all.
11:35 AM on 09/30/13
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
Quote:
they additionally have a narrower purpose: that they would be songs that would be helpful and singable for groups of Christians gathered together to worship God.

no thanks.
11:37 AM on 09/30/13
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
Well this pretty much answers everything everyone's been griping about! hahah
11:40 AM on 09/30/13
offsetgroupie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Super religious people creep me out a bit. I'm all for believing in whatever gods you want to believe in... have at it. I just wish people would realize that is has zero bearing on our reality. They all need to stop treating people differently and killing each other because their beliefs.

/rant
11:41 AM on 09/30/13
alexxxisonfire
OneRecordPerDay.com
User Info.

Sorry, but no. Doesn't interest me at all.

explain to me why you all came in here. so pointless to shit on other people's work. nobody cares if it's "not for you".
11:44 AM on 09/30/13
mackieinva
waiting for the day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
explain to me why you all came in here. so pointless to shit on other people's work. nobody cares if it's "not for you".
because that's what the comment section is for, to comment on the post. I never shit on anything, I love Dustin and his music, but I have no desire to sing about God and Jesus, sorry if that opinion is different than yours.
11:50 AM on 09/30/13
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

i respect his choices too. but no way in hell (sorry dustin) i'm gonna get into this.
11:57 AM on 09/30/13
brettrsd
User Info.
I'll check this out. I'm a switchfoot fan too.

For anyone making bland statements of negativity, I'm sure Dustin has confronted his own fear of being ostracized within this scene. Between Laura Jane Grace, Brand New's lyrics explicitly citing Christianity and people like Max Bemis relating to his own Jewish background, anyone being overly negative, as opposed to simply moving on if it's not your thing, is taking the easy route of bashing anything Christianity related, because frankly no one is allowed to bash on other religions without starting something more serious ('hating' on Islam for example). You'd think this site would be more tolerant. Dustin rules for this alone.
11:59 AM on 09/30/13
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
I respect the hell out of Dustin. I'm giving the whole thing one spin at the very least. Thrice fans owe him that.
12:04 PM on 09/30/13
anamericangod
User Info.
because that's what the comment section is for, to comment on the post. I never shit on anything, I love Dustin and his music, but I have no desire to sing about God and Jesus, sorry if that opinion is different than yours.

i respect his choices too. but no way in hell (sorry dustin) i'm gonna get into this.

Sums it up. People would have responded to this maybe just a little warmer if he wasn't associated with the people he's associated with, regardless of whatever defenses or explanations he has offered.
12:04 PM on 09/30/13
KiDurango
Band
User Info.
Maybe it's just me, but I liked it better when you had to search for the meaning in Dustin's lyrics. I felt like I had found something worth finding. Ramming these messages down the throat of the listener might be all well and good for a congregation, but most of those songs were already written by 1964. I appreciate the effort, but I just can't listen to this CD in my car. If you see Dustin, tell him Thomas Ken called and he wants his flow back.
12:05 PM on 09/30/13
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
I respect the hell out of Dustin. I'm giving the whole thing one spin at the very least. Thrice fans owe him that.

I'm with you. I pre-ordered the vinyl. We'll see how it is. It being a religious record doesn't really bother me. People are all entitled to their own opinion and it's not like he's shoving down people's throats. I'm just hoping it's not all super stale. Rejoice wasn't super great, but I've loved everything else that I've heard from it!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos