AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Countdown: SNL Musical Guest Wish List

Posted by - 02:13 PM on 10/04/13
Saturday Night Live will always be something I look forward to watching every week. Every season I always look forward to what musical guests Lorne Michaels and company are going to book. Last week, Arcade Fire kicked off the 39th season, while Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry are booked for this week and next. SNL does a fairly decent job of mixing in established bands with up-and-coming bands throughout a season. What follows in the replies is my wish list for artists I hope to see grace the SNL stage this year along with what songs I'd like to see played. After you check out my list, make sure to add in what bands you'd like to see this season.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
02:13 PM on 10/04/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
5) Haim - "The Wire" & "My Song 5"
NoteThe LA trio of sisters are certainly blowing up amongst bloggers and online publications with their new album, Days Are Gone. A blend of indie-pop along with Wilson Phillips and Fleetwood Mac and you have a certain energy most bands cannot match. It only makes sense for Haim to make its mark in the industry by showing up on the SNL stage this year.

4) CHVRCHES - "The Mother We Share" & "Gun"
NoteThe debut album from CHVRCHES, The Bones Of What You Believe, totally re-energizes me whenever I listen to it. Lauren Mayberry's voice is angelic and compliments the euphoric electronica that comes forth from Iain Cook and Martin Doherty. Another buzzy band that's getting a lot of attention this year, the uplifting anthems of "The Mother We Share" and "Gun" would put a jolt through the usual SNL audience.

3) Chelsea Wolfe - "We Hit A Wall" & "The Warden"
NoteIf SNL wants to continue to be seen as a "trendsetter," then they must book Chelsea Wolfe immediately. This is my wild card pick, but I cannot think of any other artist whom would transfix and haunt an audience like Wolfe. Her newest album, Pain Is Beauty, is a beautifully destructive masterpiece and "We Hit A Wall" and "The Warden" would absolutely slay. Her on-stage presence and demeanor would bring a presence to the SNL stage that hasn't been felt in years.

2) Danny Brown - "Dip" & "25 Bucks"
NoteThe craziest and most daring mind in hip-hop right now, Danny Brown would turn SNL and its audience on their head. His upcoming record, Old, is bringing excitement to the genre and its fans and what better way to capitalize on that than by unleashing his brand of wordplay and flow on a late Saturday night? The national audience wouldn't even know what him 'em.

1) The National - "Sea of Love" & "Graceless"
NoteI actually couldn't believe that The National hasn't played on SNL before. Talk about a band being long overdue. The National are one of the absolute best live bands alive today and with its latest record, Trouble Will Find Me, receiving a plethora of critical and commercial success, it only makes sense for Matt Berninger and company to change lives on Saturday Night Live. Plus who doesn't want to hear Berninger yell his lungs out on "Sea of Love"?
02:21 PM on 10/04/13
billy_yo
Registered Member
User Info.
Love to see haim and the national perform.
The national were on the mindy project last week
02:25 PM on 10/04/13
morgantayler
We are all Tatiana Maslany.
User Info.
I'd love to see Haim and CHVRCHES on SNL. Also, I'm pretty sure Katy Perry is the musical guest next week, not Kings of Leon. Although, I'd be glad to see them on there as well. Their new album Mechanical Bull is great.
02:27 PM on 10/04/13
KarlAnthonyyy
I am selfish it seems
User Info.
I'd love to see Haim and CHVRCHES on SNL. Also, I'm pretty sure Katy Perry is the musical guest next week, not Kings of Leon.

Correct! And Lady Gaga is both hosting and performing the following week.
02:29 PM on 10/04/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I'm guessing pearl jam will be on sometime before the end of the year. Would be cool to see someone like Red Fang around release time. Drake. Arctic monkeys. The 1975.
02:30 PM on 10/04/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I'm guessing pearl jam will be on sometime before the end of the year. Would be cool to see someone like Red Fang around release time. Drake. Arctic monkeys. The 1975.
yeah Drake and The 1975 are probably no-doubters this year

also thanks for the Katy Perry correction everyone, I dunno why I thought it was kings of Leon
02:30 PM on 10/04/13
harveyn590
User Info.
rad list, could see them all on there. Chvrches and The National for sure, Haim and Danny Brown with just a little more heat and Chelsea Wolfe is a wild card, but that would be cool.

I could see alt-j and Tame Impala doing it. My wild card that would be perfect is Father John Misty. Idk if hes big enough, and will probably have to wait till a new album, but damn hed destroy there.
02:31 PM on 10/04/13
FiendCameron
Why Didn't You Kill Yourself Today?
User Info.
Fall Out Boy. I'm pretty sure that's the only band big enough to get on it that I like.
02:31 PM on 10/04/13
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Fully back Haim, CHVRCHES, and The National. I would love to see The 1975, Bastille, St. Lucia, Sleigh Bells (again), and Two Door Cinema Club.
02:32 PM on 10/04/13
mr_raccoon
UᴼᴥᴼU
User Info.
Those are all solid picks. But SNL keeps chosing to skip having Paramore be on the show
02:36 PM on 10/04/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
I could see Eminem coming back for like the fifth time. As well as Prince, he's been known to randomly show up and play, he's been on SNL before and would kill it.
02:57 PM on 10/04/13
BloodsuckerPtII
MIZ...ZOU!
User Info.
The radio sucks in my area. Are The 1975 getting that popular?
03:03 PM on 10/04/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I thought you said you didn't like the 1975 in the album thread?
03:05 PM on 10/04/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
The radio sucks in my area. Are The 1975 getting that popular?
Chocolate and the city have gotten airplay on radio and lots of NFL games too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos