Username
Password

Album Review
Miley Cyrus - Bangerz Album Cover

Miley Cyrus - Bangerz

Reviewed by
Miley Cyrus Bangerz
Release Date:
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
October 8, 2013

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 124
09:04 PM on 10/09/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Nice review, although I really like FU.

I think she knows exactly what she's doing since she's pretty much admitted in interviews that she wants attention and to cause a reaction, but I don't know if she's really considering the long-term? Her album is projected to sell more than her last and she has everyone talking about her, but what I hear is largely negative, and I was really hoping she'd at least have an awesome pop album to back it all up with. It's not totally awful and I appreciate that she went for something different, but it could've been a lot better and more consistent.

Also, her songs are forever underrated imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwicyvUGNE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxOVn99FTE
10:11 PM on 10/09/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I think "Adore You," "Wrecking Ball," "FU," and "Maybe You're Right" are great. The rest of the album is pretty "meh."

Her voice on "FU" is phenomenal. Girl can really sing. "Adore You" comes across as incredibly depressing and poignant due to the situation with Liam and assuming she wrote it when they were still in love. Makes it even more emotive.
06:11 AM on 10/10/13
jasonmeowz
Infinitycat
User Info.
did AP really need a review of this... *can't wait fro the reviews for ARTPOP and prisms*
06:12 AM on 10/10/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
FU is dope, the last song was dope, #Getitright was dope, first song and Wrecking Ball are dope, rest is average to baddd. When she raps it just sounds funny.

But yeah, you right, she's def doin some punk shit with this album. 23 Shoulda been on it :/
06:13 AM on 10/10/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Interesting fact: I hate Dr. Luke more than anyone else in the music industry.
06:14 AM on 10/10/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
did AP really need a review of this... *can't wait fro the reviews for ARTPOP and prisms*
We review whatever the hell we want.
06:22 AM on 10/10/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Fantastic review, bud.

Agree completely about the "punk" aspect. Can't think of a person, outside of kanye, since Kurt Cobain that has completely done what they wanted with their mainstream success.
06:24 AM on 10/10/13
jasonmeowz
Infinitycat
User Info.
We review whatever the hell we want.
you guys need to have an elitist thing like p4k have. atleast review k-pop instead... g-dragons ew album is the best pop/rap album of 2013.
06:33 AM on 10/10/13
Ryan Dennehy
Nice review, although I really like FU.

I think she knows exactly what she's doing since she's pretty much admitted in interviews that she wants attention and to cause a reaction, but I don't know if she's really considering the long-term? Her album is projected to sell more than her last and she has everyone talking about her, but what I hear is largely negative, and I was really hoping she'd at least have an awesome pop album to back it all up with. It's not totally awful and I appreciate that she went for something different, but it could've been a lot better and more consistent.

Also, her songs are forever underrated imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwicyvUGNE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxOVn99FTE
Thanks. I think her interviews and the way she's been so honest about allof it is really what sells a lot of this. It's super disappointing to have her release an album that's not packed full of successful ventures.I hope her next one does it better.
I think "Adore You," "Wrecking Ball," "FU," and "Maybe You're Right" are great. The rest of the album is pretty "meh."

Her voice on "FU" is phenomenal. Girl can really sing. "Adore You" comes across as incredibly depressing and poignant due to the situation with Liam and assuming she wrote it when they were still in love. Makes it even more emotive.
Her voice on FU is one of the only things i like about it haha. It's impressive but I wish it was in service to a different delivery/not on a song with French Montana.
Chances are I'm reviewing at least one of those so be on the look out bud!!!
FU is dope, the last song was dope, #Getitright was dope, first song and Wrecking Ball are dope, rest is average to baddd. When she raps it just sounds funny.

But yeah, you right, she's def doin some punk shit with this album. 23 Shoulda been on it :/
Really surprised at how many of you like FU, I thought it was dumb as hell
Interesting fact: I hate Dr. Luke more than anyone else in the music industry.
Haha I think I'm with you even if it isn't for the same reasons
Fantastic review, bud.

Agree completely about the "punk" aspect. Can't think of a person, outside of kanye, since Kurt Cobain that has completely done what they wanted with their mainstream success.
TY dude <3
you guys need to have an elitist thing like p4k have. atleast review k-pop instead... g-dragons ew album is the best pop/rap album of 2013.
We review lots of the same stuff as pitchfork. Pitchfork has reviews of mainstream pop albums all the time.
06:42 AM on 10/10/13
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Thanks. I think her interviews and the way she's been so honest about allof it is really what sells a lot of this. It's super disappointing to have her release an album that's not packed full of successful ventures.I hope her next one does it better.

Her voice on FU is one of the only things i like about it haha. It's impressive but I wish it was in service to a different delivery/not on a song with French Montana.

Chances are I'm reviewing at least one of those so be on the look out bud!!!

Really surprised at how many of you like FU, I thought it was dumb as hell

Haha I think I'm with you even if it isn't for the same reasons

TY dude <3

We review lots of the same stuff as pitchfork. Pitchfork has reviews of mainstream pop albums all the time.
It really benefitted from barely having French Montana at all, and while dumb that beat was dope. That song with Big Sean was also dumb, but the beat was not the dopest. Contexts man.
06:44 AM on 10/10/13
swagofthe90s
music <3
User Info.
i'm sorry you actually had to listen to this
06:52 AM on 10/10/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
i'm sorry you actually had to listen to this
No one has to listen to anything. Grow up.
06:52 AM on 10/10/13
thispartysux128
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this review man. I am not a fan at all and this made me feel like I needed to check this out...

And I probably would have if I had not watched Miley: The Movement on MTV. The way she acts on that show suggests to me that none of what she is doing is planned for artistic or "punk" merit to subvert anything, but rather she is acting out as a spoiled little brat/rebellious teenager who cries and screams when she doesn't get her way.

I love your argument that she is challenging gender and racial norms, and while you have me convinced of the former, I am thoroughly not convinced on the latter. It is truly frustrating to me that she wanted something that "sounds black" when she obviously has no real understanding or respect of the culture and that is shown by her comment. Its just about as lame as the mainstream embrace of the "Harlem Shake" which had no real understanding of the actual "Harlem Shake" in black culture.

I hate this type of music, but I am fascinated by it because of the way that it is shaping our culture. I really hope on her next record that Miley sees the positives about Bangerz and runs in the "punk" direction rather than the "whiny little brat" direction. Seeing as she is only 20 I am hoping she hits that rebellious and artistic period in her young adulthood but I am not going to hold my breath.

Regardless, Great review and great writing!
07:05 AM on 10/10/13
Ryan Dennehy
It really benefitted from barely having French Montana at all, and while dumb that beat was dope. That song with Big Sean was also dumb, but the beat was not the dopest. Contexts man.
Haha true enough. I was surprised at some of the failures of the production on here. I expected to enjoy every single beat based solely on the names but it didn't end up happening.
I love this review man. I am not a fan at all and this made me feel like I needed to check this out...

I'm glad you liked it so much! I have a lot I want to say about Miley as a cultural transgressor that I don't have the time to get into right now because I have an exam in a couple of hours, but I'm happy that someone took something from the review like this. Thanks so much for reading and I hope to get into a long winded explanation of why I think she's doing a good job re: racial norms. I just couldn't fit it in the review without going on for wayyy too long and losing sight of the music haha

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos