Password

Album Review
The Devil Wears Prada - 8:18 Album Cover

The Devil Wears Prada - 8:18

Reviewed by
The Devil Wears Prada - 8:18
Record Label: Roadrunner Records
Release Date: September 17, 2013
8:18, which is The Devil Wears Prada's fifth full length studio album, is a great album. The band's fan base has gone up drastically since Dead Throne, but I think this album is going to but their fan base through the roof! After being signed to Roadrunner Records a lot of people thought they were going to change their style. They did. Although, they didn't change the way people thought they would. They didn't change to go on the radio, and I still don't think they will be on the radio. They changed because their music taste evolved. This band isn't the band you listened to two years ago.

The album begins with a song titled "Gloom". The track starts off eerie with some synthesizers and effects but soon adds some guitar, and Mike beings to "sing". Mike got a lot of criticism on this album, because many people thought that his vocals were not as good as before and the production was bad. The vocals are like this because he wanted the listener to hear how tired he is, as are the lyrics. He also wanted to sound like he does in concert. I think this is extremely cool! The song progresses and you hear the first true breakdown and Mike screams, "No end to my burning!". This early in the record I knew they meant business. The next track is titled "Rumors". In this track listeners get to hear Jeremy's vocals for the first time on the album. It blew me away. His vocals improved drastically. They add a sense of melody in the midst of all the gruff, heavy tuned down guitars and rhythmic drum beats. In the title track, The Devil Wears Prada shows they can do whatever they want. This track moved me. This track talks about suffering and why it happens, basically the focus on the album. "8:18" brings out all the emotion in the album. "Care More" at first is reminiscent of "Louder Than Thunder" off of With Roots... but then it progresses and gets brutal. The album closes with "In Heart". This song was a good closer. It has the right melody and vocals, that just makes it sound like the end in a way.

Overall, this is another amazing album by The Devil Wears Prada. This band created its own influential sound and style. Not only were the instruments and vocals amazing but Mike Hranica's writing is the best in metalcore right now. His passion and creativity won't be topped. Not only does this band have talented musicians and song writers but they have the best metal core album of they year, for the second time.

Recommended If You Likemetal core; Dead Throne; Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
This review is a user submitted review from iamalexenglish. You can see all of iamalexenglish's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
04:10 PM on 10/07/13
kicky0urpunches
Rock Bottom Records
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think Mike is a fantastic vocalist, and lyricist, but I'm a little worn out on the sound.
07:19 AM on 10/08/13
iamalexenglish
I AM KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
User Info.
I think Mike is a fantastic vocalist, and lyricist, but I'm a little worn out on the sound.
I'm not man haha
12:49 PM on 10/08/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I would say try to make your future reviews more objective than this.
01:34 PM on 10/08/13
iamalexenglish
User Info.
I would say try to make your future reviews more objective than this.
What do you mean by that?
02:07 PM on 10/08/13
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
What do you mean by that?

What I'm assuming he means by it is that the review came across very subjectively. By that, he means that it came across as more of an opinion than an album review. The aim for the review is to analyze a record in a way that people who like the genre/band, people who hate the genre/band, and people who may have never heard of them all get the same idea for the album in your writing.

I guess in a way you want to write an album review the same way you would write a lab report: Cut and dry with the information clearly presented. Thats not to say you can't put your personality into it, its just that the album should be the focal point.

The best way to tell if its subjective/objective is to see what type of person you write in. If you write in first person, it will be subjective. If you write in third person, it will be objective.

For example, you say:

"The song progresses and you hear the first true breakdown and Mike screams, "No end to my burden!". This early in the record I knew they meant business."

If you wanted to write this objectively, you would probably want to say something like:

"When the song reaches its apex, Mike bellows, "No end to my burden!", leaving any listener helpless to the sonic force that will cause the earth to tremble."

Notice how I kind of said the same thing, yet have taking myself (or technically, yourself) out of the equation.

Hope this helps, I've been meaning to get back into writing reviews, its been like 1-2 years. Maybe soon.
03:07 PM on 10/08/13
iamalexenglish
User Info.
What I'm assuming he means by it is that the review came across very subjectively. By that, he means that it came across as more of an opinion than an album review. The aim for the review is to analyze a record in a way that people who like the genre/band, people who hate the genre/band, and people who may have never heard of them all get the same idea for the album in your writing.

I guess in a way you want to write an album review the same way you would write a lab report: Cut and dry with the information clearly presented. Thats not to say you can't put your personality into it, its just that the album should be the focal point.

The best way to tell if its subjective/objective is to see what type of person you write in. If you write in first person, it will be subjective. If you write in third person, it will be objective.

For example, you say:

"The song progresses and you hear the first true breakdown and Mike screams, "No end to my burden!". This early in the record I knew they meant business."

If you wanted to write this objectively, you would probably want to say something like:

"When the song reaches its apex, Mike bellows, "No end to my burden!", leaving any listener helpless to the sonic force that will cause the earth to tremble."

Notice how I kind of said the same thing, yet have taking myself (or technically, yourself) out of the equation.

Hope this helps, I've been meaning to get back into writing reviews, its been like 1-2 years. Maybe soon.
Understood. Thanks for the feedback.
04:29 PM on 10/08/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Understood. Thanks for the feedback.
Spartan said it even better than I could've.
05:40 PM on 10/08/13
iamalexenglish
User Info.
Spartan said it even better than I could've.
Haha way to be Spartan.
01:26 AM on 10/09/13
Jason Yelle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually think I like August Burns Red's new album a bit more, mostly on song structure wise, and how creative and different they added in China harp, marimba, etc. But JB is one of my favorite guitarists, so thats clearly the main reason ABR will always win metalcore album every time. But it's also a tough call because Parkway Drive is my favorite band. TDWP's lyrics are great though. Mike def does write some of the best songs in the genre. Theyre very, very poetic. I think this album is just as good as Rescue & Restore from a reviewer's standpoint, but I still enjoy R&R more overall.
05:34 AM on 10/09/13
iamalexenglish
User Info.
I actually think I like August Burns Red's new album a bit more, mostly on song structure wise, and how creative and different they added in China harp, marimba, etc. But JB is one of my favorite guitarists, so thats clearly the main reason ABR will always win metalcore album every time. But it's also a tough call because Parkway Drive is my favorite band. TDWP's lyrics are great though. Mike def does write some of the best songs in the genre. Theyre very, very poetic. I think this album is just as good as Rescue & Restore from a reviewer's standpoint, but I still enjoy R&R more overall.
Yeah I understand. You're entitled to your opinion. Haha
03:54 PM on 10/16/13
Thestallion
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think its an amazing step in the right direction, very versitile album love their latest releases alot more compared to their earlier work
07:21 AM on 10/17/13
iamalexenglish
User Info.
I think its an amazing step in the right direction, very versitile album love their latest releases alot more compared to their earlier work
Absolutely

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version