AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

The Countdown: Five Must-See Acts at South By So What...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (10/22/13)
In case you've been living in a cave for the last few weeks, AbsolutePunk.net and its AbsoluteVoices sites are sponsoring this month's South By So What?! festival in Grand Prairie, TX, this weekend October 25th and 26th. Over the last few weeks, we've done a festival spotlight along with a festival playlist. Today, I am highlighting the five must-see acts during the two-day festival. So check that out in the replies (along with our other featured content) and don't forget that tickets are still available.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
02:16 PM on 10/22/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
5) Dance Gavin Dance (Friday 8:05 PM on the AbsolutePunk.net Stage)
NoteArmed with a new album and new lead singer in Tilian Pearson, Dance Gavin Dance will tear through a fiery set featuring the latest cuts from Acceptance Speech. The back and forth between Jon Mess and Pearson is dazzling, so make sure you're in the front of the crowd when DGD hits the stage

4) The Word Alive (Saturday 6:00 on the PropertyOfZack Stage)
NoteGood luck finding a fan base as passionate as the one The Word Alive has. I'm telling you, these kids go crazy for the Phoenix-based metalcore band. Fronted by one of the most charismatic vocalists in the genre - Telle Smith - The Word Alive's thirty minute set will be a chaotic party full of booming screams, breakdowns, and back flips.

3) Story of the Year (Friday 8:55 on the AbsolutePunk.net Stage)
NoteThe St. Louis pop-punk/hardcore hybrid band is back and is currently touring the country playing its breakthrough album, Page Avenue, in full. Story of the Year has always been one of the tightest and most intense live bands around, so even if you're just a casual fan or novice, you still need to check SOTY out, as they'll melt your face off.

2) A Lot Like Birds (Saturday 4:25 on the Under The Gun Review Stage)
NoteNext week, A Lot Like Birds is set to unleash its lethal new album, No Place. But before that happens you need to check out the Sacramento metal/progressive/awesome band on Saturday afternoon. Expect to see some incredible guitar work intermixed with Kurt Travis' passionate vocals and Cory Lockwood's harsh screams. Don't be surprised if A Lot Like Birds ends up as your favorite band after the weekend.

1) Finch (Friday 10:15 on the AbsolutePunk.net Stage)
NoteSimilar to Story of the Year, Finch is another kinda-reunited band playing through its breakthrough album. What It Is To Burn was not only an important part of how I was raised in the scene, the album also paved the way for other bands to incorporate screaming with its progressive pop-punk stylings. If you are attending this festival, make sure you take advantage of seeing Finch play classics like "Grey Matter," "Letters To You," and, of course, "What It Is To Burn."
04:37 PM on 10/22/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I won't be going unfortunately, but if I was....

5. Death Angel/Revocation
4. Battlecross
3. Iron Reagan
2. Finch
1. Story of the Year
06:55 PM on 10/22/13
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
My top 5 of the festival would be...

5. Set It Off
4. A Lot Like Birds
3. Finch
2. Gwar
1. Story of the Year
06:56 PM on 10/22/13
Jake Denning
User Info.
I hope someone Action Bronson's that BryanStars kid off the stage.
07:35 PM on 10/22/13
dylanandtea
all luck and pop-punk.
User Info.
I hope someone Action Bronson's that BryanStars kid off the stage.
Why?
09:42 PM on 10/22/13
FiendCameron
Why Didn't You Kill Yourself Today?
User Info.
Needs moar GWAR.
05:33 AM on 10/23/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
GWAR is probably the best "live" band on this bill, but I've seen them half a dozen times already and their music just doesn't do anything for me.

The show is killer though.
06:08 AM on 10/23/13
kngtut13
User Info.
My top 5 are:

1. Battlecross
2. Death Angel
3. Unearth
4. Whitechapel
5. 3 Inches Of Blood
Options
Related News Stories