Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 503
11:30 PM on 11/04/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Excellent excellent review. There is (almost) nothing possessing me to want to listen to this.
12:15 AM on 11/05/13
HopeInLove
User Info.
35%? seriously..there has to be some kind of bias..there is no way this album is anywhere close to that bad..It is by far NOT his best but..35% the technicality alone should allow for a better score barring any lyrical content at all..AP seems to always be extremely negatively biased towards em..for reasons I really cannot understand..This is not his best effort..but the album is defiantly enjoyable and full of talent..and fuck the same people calling for "old eminem" are offended when he says ******? SERIOUSLY?
12:19 AM on 11/05/13
HopeInLove
User Info.
"I MISS THE OLD EMINEM THAT WASN'T AFRAID TO CALL BITCHES SLUTS AND GAY PEOPLE ******S" ..but then get offended when he mentions anything of the sort?..
03:19 AM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.
yeah I'm excited for this thread
03:29 AM on 11/05/13
glogglies
User Info.
I absolutely hated Survivor when it was released. Can't listen to Berzerk when its on the radio. And that Monster track is laughably bad. That said, I actually found myself enjoying this album. I particularly like Headlights and So Far . . .

It's not an album I'll be singing much praise for, but theres a little bit to like here. Maybe a 4.5/10 for me.
05:25 AM on 11/05/13
Quijiba
User Info.
Good review. I am not huge on this album either, but I don't think I find it as bad as you or others. It honestly just feels tired to me and there are just better hip hop artists out there these days
05:30 AM on 11/05/13
Star Slight
User Info.
35%? seriously..there has to be some kind of bias..there is no way this album is anywhere close to that bad..It is by far NOT his best but..35% the technicality alone should allow for a better score barring any lyrical content at all..AP seems to always be extremely negatively biased towards em..for reasons I really cannot understand..This is not his best effort..but the album is defiantly enjoyable and full of talent..and fuck the same people calling for "old eminem" are offended when he says ******? SERIOUSLY?

Hes not calling for old Eminem.
05:55 AM on 11/05/13
open mind
bastard on parade
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
seems like a fair review.

bezerk might be enjoyable in the extreme short term as something of a beastie boys homage, but the rest is totally forgettable.

a handful of the rhymes in pretty much every song are embarrassingly bad/flat out la-zy.
06:17 AM on 11/05/13
Nardes
User Info.
Surprised there hasn't been more praise for Headlights. I think it's one of Em's best songs lyrically... it's deep. You can feel why he really is angry. And Nate on there certainly does help matters too
06:18 AM on 11/05/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I gave it up after the first paragraph; Jay Z hasn't released a bad album, and his rapping abilities outweigh those of Eminem

Kingdom Come was a very forgettable album.
06:23 AM on 11/05/13
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
Fantastic review Ryan
06:34 AM on 11/05/13
Guitar138
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The review was well written, but I have to completely disagree with the assessment. I love this album, including the bonus tracks. I feel like he finally fell back in to a stride where he is comfortable rapping and putting some light hearted songs on the album. Sampling Joe Walsh and The Zombies made for some different sounds for an Eminem album without coming off depressing or somber like some of his last two efforts. I love Em, and while Relapse fell completely short for me, recovery had some quality moments. MMLP2 is an interesting and entertaining album and I feel like it is a quality piece of work.
06:35 AM on 11/05/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Great review, probably my favorite of yours.

I really wanted to check this out but after hearing the singles and half of the first song I just couldn't do it
06:36 AM on 11/05/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
I haven't heard the album yet so I'm not speaking for its quality and I'm not disregarding this review or calling it invalid but this is the first negative review of this album I've seen. It's being well received everywhere else I've seen it reviewed.
06:39 AM on 11/05/13
Sherlock's Mind
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
TLDR: I disagree.

It's easy to hate Eminem now. And it's popular at this moment. This album smelled of failure the moment it was announced as MMLP2, let alone his previous three albums being garbage. Here's the problem with this write up... he didn't actually fail.

MMLP2 is littered with the self awareness and lyrical skill that was featured on the original MMLP. Of course, MMLP is his legacy. It might not be his best album, but it's definitely the one people down the line will remember him for. So maybe naming it MMLP2 wasn't quite right. As Em said himself, it's a re-visitation, not a sequel.

Anyway, back to what I was saying before. There's a couple of themes here that's important. First off, karma. This album is filled with references to karma biting him in the ass for all the shit he's said since he came on to the scene. Funny enough, he follows up that self awareness with contradictions, which makes it all that more fascinating. Back when MMLP was released, he said homophobic and sexist things as a social commentary to prove that critics, women, and gay people were only attacking him because he was white. And he was right in a way. Because there were plenty of african american rappers that were saying the same things, but nobody paid attention. Here, he's almost committed to digging himself further into potential consequences. Karma will bite him in the ass, but he'll face it when it comes for him. The opener, Bad Guy might as well be a love letter to this way of thinking. And I might not want to live like that, but it makes for great music.

One of the other themes, is him not being able to grow up. He mentions it plenty of times, that he's probably a immature hypocrite for trying to do the same things he's been doing since 99. But he basically says "fuck it", because I don't think he cares what I or you think. He's willing to take his hypocrisy to levels beyond of what we've seen from other musical artists, because he accepts his immaturity.

As for you nitpicking lines to prove your general points... Yea, he dropped some duds, but he dropped a hell of a lot more great lines than anything. And most of them are both witty and self aware at the same time.

"I'm frustrated cause there ain't no more N'Sync, now I'm all out of wack
I'm all out of Backstreet Boys to call out and attack"

Evil Twin is great because it defies expectations on that level. He uses the pop artists that he attacks as a way to attack himself.

The entire song Brainless is filled with gems. This one in particular:

"It's okay to be scared straight, they said I provoke queers
Til emotions evoke tears, my whole career's a stroke of sheer genius
Smoke and mirrors, tactical, practical jokes, yeah
You motherfuckin' insert insult here"

The beginning of Rhyme or Reason was fantastic:

"(What's your name?) Marshall
(Who's your daddy?) I don't have one
My mother reproduced like a komodo dragon
And had me on the back of a motorcycle
Then crashed in the side of loco-motive with rap, I'm loco
It's like handing a psycho a loaded handgun"

or this:

"If he had, he wouldn’t have ended up in these rhymes on my pad
I wouldn’t be so mad, my attitude wouldn’t be so bad, yeah, dad
I'm the epitome and the prime example of what happens
When the power of the rhyme falls into the wrong hands, and
Makes you want to get up and start dancing
Even if it is Charles Manson who just happens to be rapping"

More of him being self aware of his immaturity:

"But I still am a CRIMINAL
Ten year old degenerate grabbing on my GENITALS
The last Mathers LP went diamond
This time I'm predicting this one will go EMERALD"

Shit, that reminds me of how great Rhyme or Reason is.

Then there's So Far where he spends a lot of the time making fun of himself for being illiterate when it comes to modern technology. Which is hilarious since I once read an interview about him still playing old arcade games and never going on the internet because he'd drive himself insane reading his own reviews... your review would probably drive him there by the way. Plus, I have a few relatives that are illiterate when it comes to modern technology, so I get a kick out of it.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, MMLP2 is his best album since TES. It's definitely a good album. Considering I hated Recovery, Relapse, and Encore(and unlike most people, I've never been the one to like an album because of hype and then not like it later, I hated those three from the start) that says something. Recovery in particular has aged so terribly.

And I would just like to say, that the alcohol line from Rap God is a stab at his own sobriety. That is NOT a bad line in any way. But hell, you wanna give this album a 35%, go right ahead. It's more like a 70% to me. Mostly because the production, despite it flowing well, can be hit or miss. And yes, he did drop some dud lines for sure.

That all being said, I can't wait for Pitchfork to tear this album apart. They always make me laugh with their reviews, which are mostly full of exaggerations.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos