Username
Password
Recording News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recording
Inside AP.net

New Noise Group To Build Free LA Recording Studio

Posted by: Ryan Gardner (11/05/13)
New Noise Group - a 501(c)(3)(pending) nonprofit organization based in Los Angeles - has launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the building of a professional recording studio for aspiring artists. The studio itself will be located in a to-be-determined space in or around the Los Angeles area, and is targeted to open on February 1st, 2014. More details are in the replies.
Over the past decade or so, the entire music industry has been turned upside down with the digitization of music through Napster, iTunes, and music streaming," explains New Noise founder and CEO Omid Majdi. "One thing that has remained the same, despite the changes around it, is the record-making process. The only choices artists get these days are to either deal with crippling debt in recouping costs, or take on the challenge of doing it themselves. Our goal is to take the money out of the equation and have an end product that isn't representative of a massive loan, and also embodies music that was not confined and defined by the money used to create it; we call this ORGANIC MUSIC.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
02:55 PM on 11/05/13
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Details
The group has set the goal at $25,000 in hopes of not only providing a free professional-grade recording space for artists with little-to-no budget, but also opening the space for creative development, dedicated classes, and hands-on learning. Kickstarter pledges will go towards securing a studio space, studio computers, audio interfaces, i/o interfaces, preamps, outboard gear, sound reinforcement, cables, headphones, stands, and many other necessary items for a proper recording studio. Once the studio is open, artists will be recorded for free. All studio sessions at New Noise Group will be open for students to sign up and sit in to learn from real-world experiences about record production. The studio itself will be located in a to-be-determined space in or around the Los Angeles area, and is targeted to open on February 1st, 2014.

Some of the outlined classes include:
Intro to Music Production
Recording for the Home Studio
Pro Tools 101
Logic 101
Reason 101
Microphones & Mic Techniques
Critical Listening & Ear Training
Mixing Techniques
Mastering Techniques
04:02 PM on 11/05/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Not trying to be that guy, but why is this news? There are some people asking for donations to build a recording studio and...?
04:41 PM on 11/05/13
RedpandaLover
User Info.
25k for a professional recording studio? That seems like the budget for a small basement studio, not a professional studio.
04:42 PM on 11/05/13
sprezzle
User Info.
Interesting. With Butch Vig saying Smart Studios closed down because artists can record and produce with minimal investment, I wonder if the communal/educational aspect is potentially more important than the equipment. $25k isn't very much when one is throwing around words like "studio space," software and computers. Curious to see if this gets off the ground.
05:00 PM on 11/05/13
Fourchordwonder
and we all return to our roots
User Info.
25k for a professional recording studio? That seems like the budget for a small basement studio, not a professional studio.
I thought the same thing. There seemed to be a pretty glaring lack of specifics when it came to gear that would be in this studio, and unless they have a decent amount of funding outside of the Kickstarter (or if it's wildly successful), this won't be professional quality by any means.

That said, I love the idea and motivation behind this project, and I think a lot of what they're trying to accomplish can be done through mid-level gear and good teachers, and I'm considering backing it for that reason alone.
07:09 PM on 11/05/13
flomid
New Noise Group
User Info.
If anyone's interested I've just updated our Kickstarter with information about the cost and revenue streams. In a nutshell, we're still finalizing the gear list, but if anyone wants to take a look at what we have planned I'm more than happy to share.
07:44 PM on 11/05/13
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
Not trying to be that guy, but why is this news? There are some people asking for donations to build a recording studio and...?
Just was about to post this, Jason Butler hit me up and brought this to my attention. This could be a really cool opportunity for a lot of kids.
07:46 PM on 11/05/13
danielzenoff
danielzenoff
User Info.
The record making process has changed completely. Studios are closing because nobody wants to pay an exuberant amount for tracking when they only get a fraction of a penny per song. Not only that, real estate footage cost and taxes are going up. When you are getting less bands in the studio, paying less, how will this work?
07:59 PM on 11/05/13
flomid
New Noise Group
User Info.
The record making process has changed completely. Studios are closing because nobody wants to pay an exuberant amount for tracking when they only get a fraction of a penny per song. Not only that, real estate footage cost and taxes are going up. When you are getting less bands in the studio, paying less, how will this work?
Largely this will work if there is enough momentum behind it. With that said, we're not simply relying on $25k from Kickstarter to be the end all of our studio finances. We've outlined the following revenue streams to make this sustainable:

A) The educational programs we are offering are paid programs and we are going to price them aggressively to make it as accessible as possible (somewhere between $20 and $50 per student per session).

B) Full details are still being worked out, but the artists will own the recordings 100%. New Noise Group will retain a digital distribution license to be able to offer the recordings through our site for a suggested donation of $10 per album.

C) We are pursuing as many grants as we are possibly eligible for.

D) We are pursuing corporate / company donations in the form of cash and / or studio gear from all major players in the music industry (record labels, equipment manufacturers, instrument manufacturers, etc.)

E) As a nonprofit we will be fundraising constantly, one of the main initiatives right now being the Kickstarter itself. Since we have a network of artists on board with us it allows us to set up benefit concerts, giveaways, contests, etc.

F) And lastly, public support. Plain and simple donations through our website and directly at the studio.

We've crunched some numbers and the math does add up. It's a ton of work, but we're doing it and if we can have a successful Kickstarter campaign it will make it much easier. If our Kickstarter fails we will simply spend more time fundraising and have a delayed grand opening, but regardless we are going to give this a shot!
08:55 AM on 11/06/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
DIY
02:32 PM on 11/06/13
monokit
Twiddling knobs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a very good fairy tale.

25k building a professional grade studio that will be FREE for all.

Pure silliness but have fun with that.

What about Converse Rubber Tracks in LA? Also free and the console alone in that room is 50k.
06:32 PM on 11/07/13
thewolfmechanic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a very good fairy tale.

25k building a professional grade studio that will be FREE for all.

Pure silliness but have fun with that.

What about Converse Rubber Tracks in LA? Also free and the console alone in that room is 50k.
Big Ideas often sound like fairy tales. It's important to note that they are not putting together a plan on how to run YOUR studio. Good luck with that.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS