AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sainthood Reps - Headswell Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Sainthood Reps - Headswell

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (11/06/13)
Sainthood Reps - Headswell
Release Date: October 22, 2013
Record Label: No Sleep

Yes, Sainthood Reps are based out of Long Island, New York and guitarist Derrick Sherman is also a touring member for Brand New. So it’s unsurprising that Sainthood Reps are sometimes connected to (arguably) the scene’s most popular band. Yet, the attention was barely there for the band’s debut album, Monoculture. Now backed by No Sleep Records, Sainthood Reps have unleashed Headswell - a ten track LP that flexes even more muscle than its predecessor. Undoubtedly, this record will draw comparisons to the latest outputs from Brand New and friends, which will hopefully draw the attention of genre fans, as Headswell is bolder, more intricate, and more powerful than whichever indie post-hardcore Long Island record it’s being likened to.

Headswell is brimming with attitude throughout. Opening track “Shelter” is straight from the garage, as flithy riffs resonate well with Francesco Montesanto frantic shouts. The song's hazy and grungy pyrotechnics build off what Monoculture created while incorporating a hook that’ll stick with you. But while the opener sets you up for an album that’s full of 90’s alt-grunge theatrics, the rest of Headswell has different plans for your ears. “Desert Song” sports cleaner guitar riffs amongst its disheveled instrumentals; its chorus featuring a straining Montesanto exclaiming, “I was raised to start a war/I never hurt a soul before.” The tension builds and builds until it reaches its cathartic climax - an absolutely devastating breakdown. Headswell ebbs and flows throughout its ten tracks, juxtaposing gentler moments within the album’s more abrasive nature.

It’s an album whose internal conflict is raging inside throughout - Montesanto’s angst-filled lyrics face off against Sherman’s melodic structures. There are multiple “calm before storm’s” here - “The Last Place I Left You” swarms the listener with an uneasy ambiance, as if some sort of impending doom is on its way. And once that doom arrives, an avalanche of discordant noises collapses on the listener. Bradley Cordaro unfurls some of the dirtiest percussion you’ll hear in 2013 on “Quitter,” a stunner of a track that’ll bring you to your knees. The eerie build-up features Montesanto slightly cracking amongst lingering, moody deliberations before deceiving you into a crushing display of dissonant guitar riffs. You can tell the band has worshipped at the altar of Fugazi and The Smashing Pumpkins - the way Shermon’s guitar tones howl and linger throughout Headswell allows the band to hop around different areas of the rock and roll spectrum. The fiery “Fall” sways between soft finishes and dreamy atmospherics while “Drone” bludgeons you with fuzzy power chords.

Sonically, not many albums can accomplish what Sainthood Reps have with Headswell - keeping its sense of chaos and intensity while still releasing a record that’s polished and refined. Most of this is due to Mike Sapone’s production (with a little Will Yip thrown in). As he’s shown in the past with his work with Brand New (there’s that comparison again), Sapone understands how to maintain that gritty rock sound while still making it sound massive and arena-ready. A prime example being the album’s title track - its mixture of melody and calamity will both ignite mosh pits as well as lighters. If I had only one opportunity to convert someone into a Sainthood Reps fans, this would be the song I’d play them. If I had two chances, I’d then play that person the heart-wrenching “Breath Worth Breathing” - Headswell’s softest yet most emotional moment. The song will undoubtedly capture the attention of Brand New fans, as the song feels like a distant cousin to the band’s Deja Entendu closer, “Play Crack The Sky.” Montesanto’s vocals are painstakingly personal here as he’s about to break while screaming the words during the second verse. On an album full of emotional roller coasters, Headswell returns to the turnstile quiet but resilient, one last calm before the inevitable storm of LP3.

8.8/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
04:25 AM on 11/06/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Good review. Really dig this album even more than Monoculture, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The heavier moments are better and more prevalent here, which I think is the best improvement.
05:13 AM on 11/06/13
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
This album is fantastic
06:08 AM on 11/06/13
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Just like Balance & Composure did with their new sensational record, this guys stepped up their game. I really enjoyed back in time Monoculture, but this album is something unique and magnificent. One of my favorite releases of the year.
07:17 AM on 11/06/13
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Quote:
I was meant to start a war/I never heard a soul before

Isn't it "I was raised to start a war/I never hurt a soul before"?
08:29 AM on 11/06/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Excited to hear this. Feel like monoculture was much better than many thought.
09:00 AM on 11/06/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
I'm soooo happy you reviewed this!!!! Better late than never, and good job.

Also I was unaware that Sapone produced this until now.
09:16 AM on 11/06/13
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Good review, can't wait to listen
09:28 AM on 11/06/13
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Yeah, listening to Breath Worth Breathing and I'm getting a Brand New vibe. I dig this.
10:08 AM on 11/06/13
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Good review, need to spend more time with this I like it a lot but haven't listened much
10:16 AM on 11/06/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
The line in Desert Song is actually "I was raised to start a war", not 'meant'. Decent review but I don't feel like it quite did the album justice, deserved at least a 9 in my book.
10:23 AM on 11/06/13
likedyingy0ung
your new charmer
User Info.
This is currently my second favourite record released this year, underneath Captain We're Sinking's The Future Is Cancelled which this website still has yet to review.
10:33 AM on 11/06/13
Loveisa4lttrwrd
stuff
User Info.
Anybody else read "I was meant to start a war/ I never heard a soul before" to the tune of Wrecking Ball.

I'm thoroughly disappointed with myself.
11:11 AM on 11/06/13
davey_jones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is currently my second favourite record released this year, underneath Captain We're Sinking's The Future Is Cancelled which this website still has yet to review.

This kid is so on point, it's not even funny. CWS is brutally underrated.
11:57 AM on 11/06/13
ALT/MSC/FAN
Everything's Coming Up Milhouse
User Info.
Really love this record. This is a little off-topic, but has anyone picked up the vinyl for this record yet? It sounded a little off to me.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums