AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

TV News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Katy Perry's AMA Performance Drawing Ire

Posted by - 01:41 PM on 11/25/13
Katy Perry performed at the AMAs last night in what appears to be a mixture of a Japanese kimono and a Chinese cheongsam. You know what the online response is going to be right? Not good.
And because of that, some are calling Perry's performance racist. One Twitter user (via The Huffington Post) said Perry "nailed the traditionally ignorant costume of a white pop singer." Another also asked, "why are you dressed like a geisha katy perry. why. for what. #thisisracist like horribly obviously racist." [SIC]

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 109
01:41 PM on 11/25/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
01:44 PM on 11/25/13
Fuck You Aurora
Hi.
User Info.
Man that performance was awful. I still love her though.
01:45 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
People need to stop doing this. idk why popstars get away with it so much. But omg it's so ~exotic

Is Gaga getting flak for Gypsy? I know some Romani people were upset about that song too, but I feel like people don't really care about them as much. I admittedly don't know much about it either.
01:47 PM on 11/25/13
j4callen
User Info.
annnnnnd here we go!
01:49 PM on 11/25/13
livinginpixels
User Info.
Not a fan of the performance, but I'm part Japanese, and I dont find this offensive at all.

If she's not marginalizing or ridiculing Asian Culture, I don't really see what the problem is.

It's just fashion.

If anything - I would argue that it raises awareness and appreciation for a culture that a lot of her core audience is unfamiliar with.
01:49 PM on 11/25/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
Song is horrible
01:52 PM on 11/25/13
Coverbydesign
User Info.
Time to sit back an watch this shit storm go down
01:58 PM on 11/25/13
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
Not a fan of the performance, but I'm part Japanese, and I dont find this offensive at all.

If she's not marginalizing or ridiculing Asian Culture, I don't really see what the problem is.

It's just fashion.

If anything - I would argue that it raises awareness and appreciation for a culture that a lot of her core audience is unfamiliar with.
I think people are also leftover upset from that time she said she wanted to skin Japanese people and wear them like Versace
01:58 PM on 11/25/13
Stouffs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sorry, thought it was pretty tastefully done. Yeah was her performance in the style of a less than accurate representation of two cultures? Yes. But she wasn't adopting some obscure accent or going out of her way to poke fun.

If people have an issue with this performance I'd like to direct you to every american made film involving Asian tropes. Or even point you towards one of a dozen ways cultures are being exploited in the media.
02:01 PM on 11/25/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Sorry, thought it was pretty tastefully done. Yeah was her performance in the style of a less than accurate representation of two cultures? Yes. But she wasn't adopting some obscure accent or going out of her way to poke fun.

If people have an issue with this performance I'd like to direct you to every american made film involving Asian tropes. Or even point you towards one of a dozen ways cultures are being exploited in the media.
Those should be called out more as well; imho.
02:03 PM on 11/25/13
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Halloween is racist to monsters BUT NO ONE EVER BRINGS THAT SHIT UP! GOD DAMN IT!
02:03 PM on 11/25/13
kevinjordan
This Wild Life - Kevin
User Info.
Surprised they let her sing live.
02:06 PM on 11/25/13
Stouffs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those should be called out more as well; imho.
Totally agree. I'm not saying this kind of exploitation is ok by any means but we should be less selective in how we and who we accuse.
02:09 PM on 11/25/13
Born_For_This
Registered Member
User Info.
This is the most pointless arguement. It was ignorance, not racism.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos