Password

Album Review
Foxing - The Albatross Album Cover

Foxing - The Albatross

Reviewed by
Foxing - The Albatross
Release Date: November 12, 2013
Record Label: Count Your Lucky Stars
There are times when you know exactly what to say, and there are times when you don't, so you say nothing at all. This is neither of those times, but I feel like I need to talk about this album. I have no idea what to say, but I want to talk about it. - Whether it does it any justice is another thing.

I've only just come across Foxing, so I'm not going to automatically assume that I know everything about them. In fact, while writing this review, the only thing I know is that they make some pretty great music and they may have made an album of the year contender.

"Why?"

Well, whoever you are, it's because they've made music. They haven't made radio ready music, they haven't made a big film score, they've made music. Music.

"But it doesn't sound like the music I listen to?"

Again, whoever you people are, I need to ask you a question; Do you really, I mean really, want your music to sound exactly the same, artist to artist? Of course not! And if you answered yes that question, I have no idea how to respond beyond this point, so let's just assume you said "No." and continue.

Skipping through to track 3 of this album, "The Medic" could be one of the best songs released this year. The song style, the song lyrics and the song itself is spectacular and the way it progresses into it's sudden conclusion almost makes you sick, How could something so beautiful, have made its way into this world so subtly? The slow guitar in the intro with the hand claps and the vocals that just slide in, and I can't even think of the words to type for the feelings I am feeling, the music is arresting!

Between track 3 and 5, there is a 44 second interlude which reminds me of those "We finally did it" or "Victory!" scenes from movies, specifically, it reminds me of when "The Mighty Rio Grande" is playing in Moneyball. It's like it acts as the premature victory scene within the album. Perhaps not so premature though.

Track 5, "Rory" starts off with a Piano sort of teasing your ear and then there's the faint sound of gunshots going off, and then the vocals come in, with their slightly echo-like state. The song builds up to a point and then it just seems to let go, the vocals starts letting their emotions show through and the song progresses into something that I can't really explain using words.

What comes after is a two song series; The first of the two part song series moves its way into the album creating a sort of toe tapping environment in three and half running time that it is playing, part two brings you back though, takes you back into the realm of the album, "This is real" it almost whispers.

The final track, "Quietus" may have a few flat notes, a few misplaced fingers within the chords, but overall, it closes off the album in a similar fashion to the way it started. It invites you to listen to it again, with the guitar ringing in with the vocals it moves into a sort of chorus that is conducted by a drum beat and the already established song tune.

As read on their Bandcamp, "Foxing is a band. Someday Foxing won't be a band." As bluntly as that is put, it is true. So appreciate this band while they're still around, because this music is not a dime a dozen, in fact, I'd be surprised if anything like this comes around again.

9.5/10

Sounds Like A Mix ofHave Mercy, Local Natives, This Will Destroy You

Track List 1. Bloodhound
2. Inuit
3. The Medic
4. Pent Up In a Bind
5. Rory
6. Bit By A Bee; Part 1
7. Bit By A Bee; Part 2
8. Den Mother
9. Calm Before
10. Quietus

Support FoxingFacebook
Bandcamp
This review is a user submitted review from InfiniteArms. You can see all of InfiniteArms's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:42 AM on 11/29/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
Gonna listen to this later today. I've heard some great things about it, and this review adds to the hype for me.

EDIT: phenomenal album. I absolutely love it.
09:47 PM on 12/09/13
bairhsnyva
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this album. A whole lot of lesser known bands delivering monster releases this year
12:31 PM on 12/11/13
IPixedYouu
She's got a boyfriend anyway.
User Info.
This album is so good. There's beautiful songs with emotion the vocalist gives off and I really like that aspect of this record. When I first gave this a listen, I instantly fell in love with it...every song is great (sounds, lyrics).
12:26 PM on 12/13/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
Thank you for the kind words! We're so excited about this release, and it's so awesome to see everyone loving it.
03:08 AM on 12/14/13
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
Thank you for the kind words! We're so excited about this release, and it's so awesome to see everyone loving it.
No worries, Kayla!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version