Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 68
01:53 PM on 12/11/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I don't listen to music on shuffle. Not sure how that is bias against anything except how I like to listen to my music -- as a full album, front to back, in order. Or at least with the option to select a song.
I think the radio option for Spotify mobile is cool. Especially since you can save songs you like on the go and then check out the full album next time you're on a computer.

I'm a big Spotify fan but I gotta say, I only really use it on my work computer. If I'm driving or on my commute, I just stick to anything I have on my iPod.
02:12 PM on 12/11/13
richcasper
User Info.
I don't listen to music on shuffle. Not sure how that is bias against anything except how I like to listen to my music -- as a full album, front to back, in order. Or at least with the option to select a song.
^ This.
02:13 PM on 12/11/13
Helen Keller.
Moustache Cash Stash
User Info.
I saw the Zeppelin thing earlier today as well -- which is awesome.

I can't really comment on the size of catalog besides what I myself have noticed, and that is that I have been able to find more of the bands I, personally, listen to on Rdio vs Spotify. If I had to just guess, I would say Spotify has more total songs whereas Rdio has more of the bands/albums I want to listen to from the labels/genres I enjoy most. Rdio's also been great about adding stuff if you send them a note about something they're missing, if they can get it on the site, they usually will relatively quickly.
I did notice that for some weird reason, Cage the Elephant's self-titled dropped off Rdio the other day but I didn't send a note because I wasn't sure how effective it was. I'm gonna have to do that later, I guess.
02:28 PM on 12/11/13
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
I haven't used my iPod/the music app on my iPhone in months. I'll probably never use it again. I obsessed over my iPod for years, spent countless hours collecting music and searching the far reaches of the internet for bonus tracks, obscure releases, old favorites. Now it's just all online. When I used to go on vacation, I started off burning CDs, then I was loading up my little mp3 player, and then my iPod. I'd always search for that last minute song or album I'd think I needed for a long car ride. When I went on vacation a few weeks ago, I simply synced my favorites from Spotify to my iPhone and I was good to go. What a difference and a painless experience. Yea, I had to pay $10 for premium, but it was well worth it. The way I listen to music has changed completely, and it'll probably change completely over the next 5 years.

Use whatever works for you. I'd like to try Rdio, but I've already been using Spotify for a couple of years and have all of my tracks saved. The differences between the two seem very minimal and until someone comes out with something better (give it a couple years), I have no reason to switch.
05:27 PM on 12/11/13
Me & My Arrow
User Info.
True. But I've got no problem dropping the $9.99 a month for the most used service on my computer/phone. And this is really playing into something I wrote about yesterday, but the hoops people will go through to not pay for music is really interesting to me. Like, making a separate playlist just to hear one song ... to avoid what comes down to roughly a 33 cents a day charge. Is really fascinating to me.

Can you explain what makes Rdio more "album-centric" than Spotify, like you said in that blog? I've used Spotify and never even tried Rdio, but I've never noticed anything unsatisfying about the "full album experience" on Spotify. You search, you click the album title, and you're taken to a playlist of just songs on that album for listening. I'd be open to switching and I'm genuinely interested to know how Rdio improves upon that. Is it interface? Ease of use? Availability? Something else?
08:16 PM on 12/11/13
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I am not bothered enough to read through the 4 pages of replies so this may already of been brought up.

But the Rdio mobile app works exactly the same as this. Only get shuffle unless you pay.
09:19 PM on 12/11/13
eriatarka24
User Info.
well i just chose a song and played, didn't have to shuffle or put a playlist...and i'm not on premium. confused.
10:06 PM on 12/11/13
Beatzero
User Info.
Interesting, because even if they made it free in the sense that everyone is bickering about (being able to choose any song), there would be an uproar about how unfair it is to the music creators. Spotify will never be able to win over everyone, if only for the fact that every time they do something to advance streaming music, it's met with an unnecessary backlash.
10:09 PM on 12/11/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
Ahh, yes, I'd love to listen to this mix that I spent two hours on all shuffled up and in the wrong order. Thanks, Spotify. If you're going to make the service free, actually make it free.
06:50 AM on 12/12/13
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Can you explain what makes Rdio more "album-centric" than Spotify, like you said in that blog? I've used Spotify and never even tried Rdio, but I've never noticed anything unsatisfying about the "full album experience" on Spotify. You search, you click the album title, and you're taken to a playlist of just songs on that album for listening. I'd be open to switching and I'm genuinely interested to know how Rdio improves upon that. Is it interface? Ease of use? Availability? Something else?
There's a collections tab on Rdio. You can save albums by bands together instead of having to save playlists.
06:51 AM on 12/12/13
SSLYBY
Back in the saddle.
User Info.
Can't believe people are complaining when something releases more free content.

This is great for a casual listener. Especially someone who likes pop music. The music industry is based on singles now. We're the minority of full album listeners.

Perfect for people who listen at the offic, but can now make playlists for working out and things.
09:08 AM on 12/12/13
iseeumonkey
User Info.
I was using the new app yesterday, and I noticed after 4 albums that I still had not gotten any ads. I'm not a premium member so I thought that was weird. Not complaining though.
09:48 AM on 12/12/13
darlydooh
User Info.
I've been using Spotify for so long, but Rdio sounds like it's a better option for me but I'm nervous to change! Haha.
12:12 PM on 12/12/13
luisc123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for the article, Jason. I don't think those differences are enough for me to switch over personally. And I'm pretty big on design and interface. Unless the industry can come up with a service that allows streams AND downloads of music in several different formats, I'm staying put. I don't keep music on my iPhone but I need downloadable music to put on my shuffle when I work out. I would've definitely paid for OiNK back in the day. That, or gyms need to provide wi-fi for their costumers. But that's a whole nother discussion for another time
12:13 PM on 12/12/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Hey, sorry for taking so long -- news last night was nuts, obviously, and then I wanted to make sure I had the latest version of Spotify installed to see if they still did things the same way. Here's what I mean, in photos:

Here's what my collection/library looks like in Spotify. A list of songs:

I can start playing one song from here, or click the album name to get to the album view:

Which let's me start playing the album or put it in a playlist. If I want to play something later, I have to search for it, open the album view, highlight all the songs, right click, add it to queue. If I like it and want to make sure I remember it/have it in my library, I have to open up the album view, highlight the songs, star them.

Browsing my library consists of a giant list of songs, starred, or in a playlist. Browsing the entire collection of Spotify is built around searching and seeing lists of song names and clicking play. The starred metaphor for each song is indicative of a "song first" collection. (I looked for other view options and couldn't find them.)

Versus Rdio's collection/library page:

A list of all the albums in my collection/library organized by play count, a one button switch and I can see those I recently added (ie: stuff I want to check out) -- as well as a list of all the artists in my collection:

To play something, it's one click: hover over the album and push play:

Want to add it to my queue to play later? Click the + button and "play later."

The entire system is built with the idea that you're listening albums and a queue of music.

Here's what Spotify's queue looks:

Ignoring the ads and "activity" feed and all that stuff -- it's still basically a list of songs, and stars and the visuals don't focus on the albums and what you're listening to ... compare that with the queue for Rdio:

On the right are the songs currently playing -- one click lets you switch between any of them, down below shows the albums playing next. Not as another giant list of songs -- but as the album itself (you can queue up individual songs just as easily if you prefer). There's a good sense of place.

Whereas Spotify is built more around playlists and creating a bunch of playlists or searching for an album -- Rdio uses the metaphor I prefer: collections of album -- being able to see everything I'm going to play, and easily shift it around. Viewing the "play queue" on Spotify, if I want to move around the tracks -- I can't. With Rdio, I can move around my "up next" albums or songs in any order I want. If on Spotify I queue up A Wilhelm Scream and decide I want to listen to Mutemath instead. I have to go find that Mutemath album and play it instead. My queue is now completely gone to shit (track 1, Odd Soul is playing) here's the next:

My Interpol album that I was playing is gone -- shit ... ok, so I go back to that Interpol album, right click it, add it to my queue:

It gets added after what I am currently playing (the song) "Odd Soul" -- not after the album.

Shit.

Can I highlight all the Interpool tracks and drag them under the Mutemath songs? Nope.

Ok, back to Rdio. I'm listening to Shad ... I decide, I wanna listen to Mutemath. Do a quick search, and go "play later":

And then it puts the whole album at the end of my queue:

Just what I wanted. Ah, shit, but maybe I wanna listen to it next.

Grab it with my mouse. Drag it up.

Done. One album plays, next album plays. Everything stays organized and coherent.

That's what I mean when I talk about "full album" experience -- and how my music listening is impacted. I set what it is I want to listen to -- and then hit play and let it go. I'm not constantly having to search for albums, songs, figure out just the right way to playlist them and manage playlists and individual starred songs and other users playlists of songs -- it's all based around the album itself and the design and experience are built with that in mind.

Hope that better explains where I'm coming from. It is my far the best way I've ever listened to music ... the queue system is perfect. It's better than iTunes or anything else I've ever used. Maybe there's a way to emulate/mimic this behavior in Spotify, but I haven't been able to discover it if it is.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos