AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Recording News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 73.
10:44 AM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
Vibrato has nothing to do with why he's a talented vocalist. The guy has fantastic range, and absolutely immense power - most vocalists are lucky to own one of those skills, and he has both.

He's a mostly terrible songwriter, but as a vocalist? There really are very few better. If you only rate him as "decently talented," I can't imagine what singers you find better or worse.
"There really are very few better."

One of the most ridiculous claims I've ever read in my life.
10:48 AM on 12/20/13
Mitch5643
Mitch5643
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

In this scene...? I wholeheartedly agree with Jack. Name some more who have as much range and control as Jonny. Plus since his sobriety he has gotten at least 100x better.
10:48 AM on 12/20/13
anciar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
10:57 AM on 12/20/13
RaginCajun
I didn't know she was your sister
User Info.
"It doesn't look like he wants to be there" is probably just as old but I like that one
11:01 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.

I mean, are you just going to say something's ridiculous and be an ass, or actually contribute to conversation with some examples? Seriously, these are the kind of AbsolutePunk comments I hate.

From a straight physical perspective, Jonny Craig has tremendous range, great power, and excellent control - he's a top notch vocalist. Totally open to discussing differences between vocalists, if you'd like to actually have a conversation.
11:02 AM on 12/20/13
RaginCajun
User Info.
Vibrato has nothing to do with why he's a talented vocalist. The guy has fantastic range, and absolutely immense power - most vocalists are lucky to own one of those skills, and he has both.

He's a mostly terrible songwriter, but as a vocalist? There really are very few better. If you only rate him as "decently talented," I can't imagine what singers you find better or worse.
I would say that most well-known pop and r&b singers are better. Justin Timberlake is one.
11:08 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I would say that most well-known pop and r&b singers are better. Justin Timberlake is one.
Haha, I mean, if the only person we can bring into this is one of the best selling artists of 2013, I think we can agree that Jonny's a pretty amazing vocalist.
11:15 AM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
Tilian Pearson, Tyler Carter, Kellin Quinn, Kurt Travis, Brandon Roundtree, Ian Kenny, Anthony Green, Casey Crescenzo, Joey Vannucchi, Matt Segallos, Steven Colyer, Andy Hull ...and that's just in this particular scene.
11:27 AM on 12/20/13
jesster4life911
User Info.
I mean, are you just going to say something's ridiculous and be an ass, or actually contribute to conversation with some examples? Seriously, these are the kind of AbsolutePunk comments I hate.

From a straight physical perspective, Jonny Craig has tremendous range, great power, and excellent control - he's a top notch vocalist. Totally open to discussing differences between vocalists, if you'd like to actually have a conversation.
I wouldn't say vomiting on the stage / crowd at nearly every show is great control or power. Jonny has a good voice, but he's a one trick pony. He has a good range and he knows his limits, but that only goes so far. He's not interesting, his lyrics are terrible, his personality sucks, he's predictable.
11:29 AM on 12/20/13
RaginCajun
User Info.
Haha, I mean, if the only person we can bring into this is one of the best selling artists of 2013, I think we can agree that Jonny's a pretty amazing vocalist.
oh, i'm not saying Jonny isnt a talented singer.again, most r&b singers can sing pretty well. I simply don't listen to enough modern r&b to name someone in his level. I don't wanna drop more names like Usher and Rkelly cause you can simply say "those guys are legends and sell millions which then proves my point."

but i've seen nobodies on American Idol and stuff like that where they can sing just as good or better...I will easily say that Jonny is the best in the scene. the scene is very small and he beats out dgd, a skylit drive, and the other rise records and such bands.
11:30 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I wouldn't say vomiting on the stage / crowd at nearly every show is great control or power. Jonny has a good voice, but he's a one trick pony. He has a good range and he knows his limits, but that only goes so far. He's not interesting, his lyrics are terrible, his personality sucks, he's predictable.
The quality of his lyrics and personality have nothing to do with his vocals.

I never said he was a good songwriter, a good lyricist, or a good person. I said he's a good vocalist. It's blatantly obvious on Emarosa's Relativity and Isles & Glaciers' EP that he has tremendous talent, and I really don't see how you could say otherwise.
11:32 AM on 12/20/13
RaginCajun
User Info.
personally i think his range is getting smaller. I think he sounded his best on DBM. I think in those early years he had way more range and control. I think now he found a comfort zone that he stays in. it protects his voice, and it sure sounds good, but it also does make him sound like a "one trick pony"
11:34 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Tilian Pearson, Tyler Carter, Kellin Quinn, Kurt Travis, Brandon Roundtree, Ian Kenny, Anthony Green, Casey Crescenzo, Joey Vannucchi, Matt Segallos, Steven Colyer, Andy Hull ...and that's just in this particular scene.

You listed some vocalists there that I absolutely adore - but at the very, very least, Jonny Craig is certainly in the same category as those guys, if not better than most.

Tilian's fantastic - but Jonny has better range.
Tyler Carter's great - but Jonny has more power.
Ian Kenny, Casey Crescenzo, and Andy Hull are some of my favorites, but tremendously different singers than Jonny, and arguably don't have his range. Casey is the closest, and I'll give you that he's potentially better due to tone.
Joey Vannucchi is an incredible songwriter (everyone knows I'm the biggest FIL fanboy there is), but is not the same category as most of these guys in straight vocal terms.
11:38 AM on 12/20/13
RaginCajun
User Info.
I think Pierce The Veil singer did the best by far on Isles and Glaciers. He was the most creative, he came in in the most opportune times, he stole the show/record.
case in point when he came in on viola Lion "i never had a reason.."
11:40 AM on 12/20/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I think Pierce The Veil singer did the best by far on Isles and Glaciers. He was the most creative, he came in in the most opportune times, he stole the show/record.
case in point when he came in on viola Lion "i never had a reason.."
Oh, totally agree. That record showed each guy for what they were.
Vic was the runaway star - he showed that he was the best songwriter, easily.
Jonny was awesome, expecially since Vic wrote his melodies.
Craig Owens was shown to be... pretty weak.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS