1. How did you get your band name? Email after email. Joke name after joke name. 2 of us would like a suggestion. The other would hate it. So, we decided to do it the Great American Way and take the action to The Magician (great bar in LES). We put a bunch of adjectives and nouns in a hat and we whittled it down to Forces. We found that the next day that there was already an Australian band called Forces. We added the "All" and that was that.
2. How did this band get started? Norm, Gizella, and T were in a band. I sat in with them for a few shows. After a year, we started writing together. The sound was different enough for a name change. So, we decided to change the name. Wait...this is kind of part of the first question.
3. What bands are you influenced by? The Cure, PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Mates of State, Peter Gabriel, Metric, Afghan Whigs, Shudder to Think, Blonde Redhead.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why? Elvis motherfucking Presley. Because he was the King. Before his robust, bejeweled days of course.
5. Best food to eat on tour? Food cooked in someone's home.
6. Why should people listen to your band? So they can invite us into their home when we're on tour and cook us some of dat home cooked goodness! But in all seriousness, that is a difficult question to answer. Any artist wants to share their art with the world. There is good art, bad art, and art somewhere in between. We think we are making relevant music that people would want to hear. If it only connects with 1000 people than so be it. That's 1000 people validating us and that's a special feeling that will have an impact on our lives forever.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? RGIII. I'm a huge Redskins fan. But it would probably suck a little for him. I'm kind of awkward athletically and he probably couldn't handle my money situation.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? The usual. Our families, significant others, people who promoted us, and Thomas Edison. Because, you know, he invented the gramophone. Even though he was a greedy asshole that probably fucked Nikola Tesla out of unimaginable wealth.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? No more Biebers. Please God, no.
10. Memorable tour experience? This band hasn't toured yet. But I remember when I went on tour with my friend's band as their bass player. The main guy in that band, Gary, is Jewish (from NY - go figure). We went to stop in some chain hotel in West Virginia after a really fun show to get a room. Gary went inside to take care of the room while the rest of the band was taking care of loading out the van. When we came in to meet up with Gary, the dude at the desk was giving him a real fucking hard time about booking the room. Evidently, he was giving him a hard time because he suspected that his last name was Jewish and told him as much when we were outside in the van. He threatened to call the cops on us. So, we called his bluff. He backed down and we got the room. But after we checked out, Gary found his number somehow and prank called him for the rest of the tour.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Old school. Where people use to go to get their Blink 182/MxPx news. Still has that DYI feel. Love it!
12. What is your favorite song to play? "Ornithologist" and all of the new material we've been working on.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? I don't vacation. I work. Like a boss.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? Saturday morning cartoon music.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Teleportation. I hate flying. And I might be a little averse to walking. Even though I live in NYC. But if I could teleport, I would never be late!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals? Try not to get too drunk before we hit the stage.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? I wrestled and I was Prom King.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? I could go on ad nauseam about how corporate and one dimensional Clear Channel stations pollute the air waves with boring filler, but I mostly listen to sports radio. My discovery resources are apps like Spotify, friends, and informative blog/websites like AP.net. I think given the right push by a heavy marketing machine, any song/band/genre can flourish. But obviously, organic growth is more authentic.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Besides work & music?? Man...I have no life.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? I can tell what type of Asian you are (I'm half Taiwanese so I can say that). Though lately, I've been sucking at it.