AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: "Yes, But Can You Deep Fry It?"

Posted by - 06:41 AM on 02/07/14
Welcome back to AbsolutePlaylist, a new feature that will bring you a playlist each Friday from one of our staff members or a special guest to ring your weekend in the right way. Today I've taken the helm to give you a stunning tour-de-force of the oft-maligned and misunderstood genre known as "southern rock." There are Rdio and Spotify streams in the replies so kick off your shoes, grab your beverage of choice, and let's wish these winter blues away together!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 47
06:41 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
"Yes, But Can You Deep Fry It?"
Click here to listen!

1. Drive-By Truckers - Marry Me
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up Around the Bend
3. Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues
4. Lucero - What Are You Willing to Lose?
5. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Alabama Pines [Live]
6. My Morning Jacket - Dancefloors
7. The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache
8. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
9. The Men - Half Angel Half Light
10. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
11. Gin Blossoms - Lost Horizons
12. The Bottle Rockets - 1000 Dollar Car
13. Uncle Tupelo - The Long Cut
14. Ryan Adams - Firecracker
15. The Allman Brothers Band - Statesboro Blues [Live]

I've lived south of the Mason-Dixon Line for all of my life save for time spent at college in Indiana and my last three summers in New Mexico. I sometimes like to tell people that, "it's in my genes to walk around Wal-Mart eating fried chicken" even though I hate fried chicken and my family refused to shop at Wal-Mart for a good part of my childhood for political reasons. I once entertained a tailgate party of people almost exclusively from New York or Wisconsin--including the CFO of Citigroup--with one of my dad's more amusing anecdotes from his childhood in Mississippi. The humor derived from his great-aunt, no joke named Saphronia (sp?), who used to back up to her heating grate and hitch her skirts up in an attempt to warm up her backside in the winter. Although I have barely any trace of a Southern accent, I take mild offense to the term "redneck" when used in a derogatory way and I'll go round for verbal round with anyone who tries to demean the South or its people in a way that isn't true or fair.

It's no surprise that this has an effect on my taste in music. This playlist highlights some of my favorite "southern rock" tunes, a term is oft-misunderstood and ends up turning many listeners off from groups who are truly just really great American rock bands. If a band tries to "deep fry" their guitar sound for an album or two, I'm likely to love it. In fact many songs on this playlist highlight brief forays into this style of music by the artist in question. I don't generally give a damn whether the person behind the mic is from Mississippi or Maine, what qualifies as "southern rock" to my ear is just kind of "you'll know it when you hear it" kind of thing. It has to sound natural though, not forced, affected or tongue-in-cheek. Oh yeah, electric guitars are pretty crucial too.

And so--without any further ado, I give you my choice "southern rock" cuts. This is obviously by no means exhaustive, and I expect and welcome arguments about whether some of these artists aren't outliers. And remember kids, if you're in a hungry young band and you're trying to record your first demo, perhaps the best course of action is to sit down, listen to your music, and ask each other, "yes this is great, but...can we deep fry it???"
07:15 AM on 02/07/14
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Great write-up! Listening now.
08:02 AM on 02/07/14
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
"Alabama Pines" has become a top-20 all-time track for me, and your blurb about the playlist as a whole is wonderful, so I'll be sure to check this out at some point this weekend. Nice work!
08:05 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Great write-up! Listening now.

"Alabama Pines" has become a top-20 all-time track for me, and your blurb about the playlist as a whole is wonderful, so I'll be sure to check this out at some point this weekend. Nice work!

Thanks y'all!!!!
08:24 AM on 02/07/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
im from texas originally, and i miss it a lot. very nice idea for a playlist.
08:26 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
im from texas originally, and i miss it a lot. very nice idea for a playlist.
Hope you enjoi buddypal
08:26 AM on 02/07/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'm digging the hell out of this playlist, which I'm sure is surprising to no one.
08:28 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
I'm digging the hell out of this playlist, which I'm sure is surprising to no one.
Any songs you hadn't heard before?
08:32 AM on 02/07/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
spotify user pro tip: if you copy and paste the playlist url into the search on the player, it'll come up.
08:51 AM on 02/07/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
I love this new feature.
09:17 AM on 02/07/14
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
i dont know why but i expected showbread and he is legendish bands. this is better tho
09:58 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
i dont know why but i expected showbread and he is legendish bands. this is better tho
Jesus christ ewwww
10:40 AM on 02/07/14
buckcheeks
User Info.
I was hoping The Weeks would have made this playlist. Bummer.
10:41 AM on 02/07/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
I was hoping The Weeks would have made this playlist. Bummer.
They're great! I only had an hour though so you can't cram anywhere close to everything into that time frame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos