AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 120
10:07 PM on 02/10/14
areyoukittenme?
User Info.
I don't think it's the timing, I feel the same way. I like YGMIA, there's a a bunch of great songs in there and the ones who aren't great are still good, but the band seemed to step away a little bit from that unique style they had in Sports. This record seems louder and faster and the guitars don't seem to match with the vocals as much. At least that's the impression I got.

I still like the record, though, and I think it's more dynamic than Sports, which loses some power in its second half, but that unique style, or essence, as you called it, is a little bit toned down.

With that being said, Talon of the Hawk is a great record, Santa Monica is hilarious and McCafferty are awesome.

Oh nah, the timing comment was just for me personally. Sports was released back in, what, November 2012? and, a lot of the songs were right on the money with what I was going through/how I felt over a year ago and they still are because I'm still a dumb college kid so I get it when someone in their mid twenties isn't into it. I'm not even sure this band will do it for me five years down the line, but right now I love what they're doing. And it's possible that they maintain that relatability five years from now because they'll grow and mature with the kids who like them now. Really that third paragraph in the review about how they're a voice of the angsty youth said it perfectly.

Another reason for not really digging this new record tho is I think Sports is lyrically so much better than YGtMIA. I get what people are saying about some of the lyrics being dumb but I wouldn't say that about anything on Sports, not even @chl03k.
11:08 PM on 02/10/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
P4K gave it a 7.2 where is your god now?

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...a-miss-it-all/
11:09 PM on 02/10/14
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
ian cohen's a hack!
04:28 AM on 02/11/14
wall e
Beware of hitchhiking ghosts!
User Info.
Also, it isn't the lyrics about instagram or whatever that bother me. It's the way they're presented. Kinda like it's a try hard attemp at being quirky in the internet age or something. I'm definitely down with trinidad james talking about freshmen on instagram straight flexin'

This is what I said when Sports came out. Forced quirkiness, it really bothered me for some reason.
06:55 AM on 02/11/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
this guy is so much better at writing album reviews than i am
08:48 AM on 02/11/14
kennyrules
User Info.
This is the best comment in here.
Also, for those complaining about the lyrics being too literal, I think it might be the topics the lyrics discuss you're actually upset about. I mean, listen to that new Sun Kil Moon record. Some of the most literal lyrics out there and the general consensus is that it's great.

For the record, I think this album is pretty enjoyable. Better than Sports, which only had a few good songs on it.
08:57 AM on 02/11/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I haven't seen a single complaint about the lyrics being too literal lol. It's that they're too vapid.
01:25 PM on 02/11/14
studskalny
There was another time in my life..
User Info.
Never listened to these dudes before, and I love this album after three listens. Yay.
09:23 AM on 02/12/14
GautamT
User Info.
Alright, since my first few comments right after you published this review, i can honestly say I've started enjoying this record even more, even if it was just playing in the background here and there, i would stop what i was doing and listen, it is honestly a good album. And like i said earlier sure, some of the lyrics are atrocious, but i feel like we're all just gluing ourselves to those particular lyrics that have already been pointed out, yes, they're awful, but some of the other lyrics on the album, although not poetic in any manner, feel really earnest and honest and that kind of comes across through the music as well. Take it for it is, a well made, musically tight album that has a few lows but a lot more highs
10:52 AM on 02/12/14
all time (joe)
you are what you do
User Info.
absolutely got burned listening to that song at the exact moment you called me out on it. very on point review sir.
11:25 AM on 02/12/14
kennyrules
User Info.
I guess it was just the one comment about the literal lyrics, and I'll agree that some lyrics are vapid, but I think they're honest. I don't get the impression this band is just trying to capitalize on popular pop-punk lyrical styles like other bands (Real Friends, Neck Deep, etc.). Again, like has been said multiple times, this is an album for high school/college students and those who want to reminisce about those days/still find themselves in that mindset. Then again, Pinkerton has some of the most vapid lyrics out there and I think it's one of the best albums, so maybe my perspective's skewed.
09:13 AM on 02/13/14
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
I didn't realize this was out. Can't wait to listen.
10:37 AM on 02/13/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
absolutely got burned listening to that song at the exact moment you called me out on it. very on point review sir.
hahaha i love that
01:51 PM on 02/17/14
bestofmoss
core
User Info.
record rules
11:28 PM on 02/17/14
stephenHOPE
User Info.
this is my favorite album of the year so far.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos