AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Strange Times -02.06.14

Strange Times -02.06.14

Interviewed by
Strange Times -02.06.14The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Strange Times
http://facebook.com/thestrangetimes

1. How did you get your band name?
I stole the term from Hunter S. Thompson.

2. How did this band get started?
The initial Strange Times demos were basscalist* Comrade Aaron’s impassioned home recordings, tracked in his Long Island bedroom whose ceiling had partially fallen in during Hurricane Sandy. Upon moving into Queens with the brilliantly talented CaroLion, who accompanies the band on electric violin and viola, he began collaborating with Sean, a triumphant guitarist from Florida living in Manhattan. After gaining some initial attention playing shows around New York, they rounded out the lineup with the addition of Jeff, a drummer from Arizona, sharp in both talent and wit.

*basscalist [base-ka-list] - (n) a person that is both the bassist and lead vocalist of a band.
Ex. Fat Mike, Les Claypool, Paul McCartney, Comrade Aaron, etc.
Origin: 2013; 21st Century English < Latin: bezsacalistica

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Dead Kennedys, Velvet Underground, The Clash, Anti-Flag, The Beatles, Against Me!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
The Clash, so I could sneak into their bathroom after Joe Strummer has taken a piss, swipe a sample of his urine, and shoot up with it. I'm assuming it's some sort of punk rock elixir.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Pizza! (Obviously)

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We make melodic punk rock infused with urgent social critiques, poignant political satires, and occasional string arrangements. We don't recycle and water down the same shit you keep hearing from complacent, uninspired crap-punk bands. Musically and lyrically we push the envelope and have a unique perspective.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Dock Ellis.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Considering this is a fantasy, I'll pretend that god exists, and thank her.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Success would be based on the quality of music.

10. Memorable tour experience?
After a show in Brooklyn, I decided to endanger the lives of myself and a couple friends by driving the wrong way down a one street (shoutout RVIVR). I was the only one laughing.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a kickass place to get news about punk rock and interact with other people in the scene.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Potion."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Freetown Christiania is absolutely incredible for any leftist, anarchist, and/or weed enthusiast.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The Beatles.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The power to redistribute wealth. To destroy private tyrannies.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I stretch, warm up my voice, play scales on bass, try to get deep into a state of euphoric insanity, smoke weed, drink a few drinks, sometimes do some other shit.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have a degree in music.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
It's an incestuous cesspool where the same shit and cum are regurgitated over and over. If people are interested in hearing quality music on the radio, it could be a place where we flourish. It's really up to you.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Play music, dismantle illegitimate forms of authority, fuck, drink, toke, trip, customize clothing.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Persuasive writing, right? Cause you're going to go listen to us now, RIGHT?

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests