AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Exclusive News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

ABSOLUTExclusive: Distances Song Premiere/Interview

Posted by - 08:00 AM on 02/17/14
Today we're bringing you a brand new song from Distances and an interview with the group's guitarist Florian Maier. Listen to "Heavier Than You Know" in the replies and let us know what you think. This Winnipeg based punk band formed in 2012 and headed to Vancouver last summer to work at Rain City Recorders with ex-Daggermouth guitarist Stu McKillop. Now the group is digitally releasing an EP called Boulders through Gold Stock Records tomorrow and its debut full-length Peaks/Valleys is due out sometime this summer. If you're into Polar Bear Club this is definitely a band you might want to check out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
08:00 AM on 02/17/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

Upcoming Tour Dates-Feb. 25th - Winnipeg, MB @ Union Sound Hall w/ SOLIDS, Tunic
- Feb. 27th - Calgary, AB @ Dicken’s Pub w/ The Path Less Traveled, The Heart Set, Coming Out Swinging
- Feb. 28th - Edmonton, AB @ Grovenor Community League w/Slates
- Mar. 1st - Saskatoon, SK @ The Fez (Rock Bottom) w/Puttin’ On The Foil
08:24 AM on 02/17/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Enjoying this.
08:29 AM on 02/17/14
thisisalchemy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ugh I think that floor tom just busted my right headphone.
08:41 AM on 02/17/14
pepster50
User Info.
This is cool !
08:49 AM on 02/17/14
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Woah. Definitely digging this. Good stuff!
10:23 AM on 02/17/14
Cøltøn
User Info.
Stoked to hear the full length. Boulders is awesome.
10:32 AM on 02/17/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.

Woah. Definitely digging this. Good stuff!

Stoked to see people who aren't from Western Canada enjoying this! Lots of good music being made up here and most of it is terribly underrated.
12:11 PM on 02/17/14
Trased152425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Maybe a stupid question but didn't this band used to be melodic hardcore or am I thinking of Departures? (Is Departures even a band?) god I'm confused.
12:21 PM on 02/17/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Maybe a stupid question but didn't this band used to be melodic hardcore or am I thinking of Departures? (Is Departures even a band?) god I'm confused.

Apparently there's a hardcore band from the U.S. that's also called Distances, no connection between the two otherwise though.
12:36 PM on 02/17/14
Trased152425
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Apparently there's a hardcore band from the U.S. that's also called Distances, no connection between the two otherwise though.

Maybe it is Departures that I'm thinking of then? Because the band I'm thinking of is from England or Scotland or something over there.
01:37 PM on 02/17/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Liked this. Will have to check their other stuff out.
05:41 PM on 02/17/14
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Digging this!
06:54 PM on 02/17/14
overitsi22
User Info.
Stoked to see people who aren't from Western Canada enjoying this! Lots of good music being made up here and most of it is terribly underrated.
Wow, yea, definitely going to be purchasing this.

And would you mind sharing some of these underrated bands you are referring to please?!?! Thank you, Deborah!
10:28 PM on 02/17/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Wow, yea, definitely going to be purchasing this.

And would you mind sharing some of these underrated bands you are referring to please?!?! Thank you, Deborah!

For sure! I actually made a post about my favourite Winnipeg bands in this thread so I'd recommend starting there and adding Bleed American to the mix. Just heard a song from them and if you're into Cartel you'll probably like them.

From Vancouver you should listen to Carpenter, Precursor and Living With Lions if you don't already. Not as familiar with what's going on in Saskatchewan and Alberta, but I know a label in Toronto called New Damage Records recently signed this band called Slates. I need to hear some more of their stuff before I've really formed an opinion though. I still need to listen to all the bands Distances will be playing with when they tour through there soon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos