1. How did you get your band name? As most will guess, we got our band name from the song ‘The Party Scene’ by All Time Low. To us it represents living free and being who you want to be!
2. How did this band get started? Dana’s and my old bands used to play together a lot, so when those didn’t work out we decided to get together and look for more musicians with the same commitment level and ideas as us. We found Dan on Craigslist and Mike through a promoter friend. It’s honestly really crazy how we’ve all become best friends so quickly for people who have barely known each other for a year. I don’t know what we’d do without each other!
3. What bands are you influenced by? Our influence comes from a wide variety of bands, especially with the new stuff we’ve been writing. One Direction, The Summer Set, Katy Perry, and Imagine Dragons have all seemed to find their way into the new songs! It makes for an interesting and diverse mix, which is something we want to be apparent in everything we put out.
4. If you could tour with any bands/artists, past or present, who would they be and why? One Direction because they’re one of my biggest influences personally and Tim McGraw because I have a huge soft spot for country music! Those are the most played artists on my iTunes, and why would I not want to tour with the musicians I listen to the most!
5. Best food to eat on tour? CiCi’s all you can eat pizza buffet is the Stay Seventeen favorite. For $5 you can eat as much pizza as you want, and if you think there’s anything that sounds better than all you can eat pizza you’re lying!
6. Why should people listen to your band? To be totally honest, I think people should listen to our band for the same reason they listen to all their favorite bands. Music is about more than just a few notes and chords put together, music is about what you feel when you listen to it whether it be through memories or lyrics. If anyone has ever been to a Stay Seventeen concert they listen and remember the energy they felt and the friends they made during the concert. For those that have never been to a concert or maybe it’s even their first time listening, they hear very real and straight forward lyrics that they can connect with on a real life level.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? Tom Brady, why would I not want to be the Quarterback of my home team?!
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? The amount of people who deserve a thank you is literally endless, we get so much support from our friends and fans, and we could seriously never do all of this without them. Off the top of my head I would of course thank my family, blood related and not, our fans who we wouldn’t be anywhere without, our videographer Zakk Bates, our co-writers Chris Bourne, Dylan Ronan, and Tim Farr, and Rich Collier, who was the first show promoter to believe in us and does everything he can to put us in front of the best crowds. Then I’d say a general thank you at the end to everyone who’s helped us out in any way, since I can’t thank everyone at once.
10. Memorable tour experience? The time that we almost got hit by a train - yup, that happened. Dan was driving the van and trailer of course, and just as we’re passing the train tracks, the safety bar starts coming down on us and falls right in between the van and trailer. As we’re sitting there trapped on the tracks, I look to my right and there’s the train coming right at me, it felt like a scene in a movie. As we’re all freaking out at Dan telling him to get us out of there, we start to slowly move backward as the safety bar is scraping against the side of our van. I swear we literally got out of there like 7 seconds before the train went by. That was easily the scariest moment of my life, and the most “memorable” tour experience.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? I’ve been browsing AP practically since I started listening to music, it feels pretty cool to be on it myself!
12. What is your favorite song to play? Whatever song we play first in our set will forever be my favorite song to play, there’s nothing like the energy of the first moment you run out on stage and feel the energy soar throughout the room.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? I grew up on Cape Cod, MA so naturally I spent a lot of time vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard, it’s not the most glamorous vacation, but if you go with you’re close friends it makes for a relaxing time on the ocean!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? Underoath was my jam back in the day, they were my first music obsession and every time I listen to them I get in this mood where I start listening to all the old music that I used to as a kid.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? I’ve been watching the TV show ‘Heroes” the past couple weeks, and Hayden Panetteire’s character has the ability to regenerate. I think that would be the raddest ability to have, because you literally can’t die except through natural cause. I’d go skydiving with no parachute, jump off a bridge or two, maybe even ride my bike with no helmet!
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals? No official pre-show superstition or rituals, but 99% of the time we all hug and tell each other we love each other. It’s more of a “I’m so happy to be living my dream with my 3 best friends” sort of moment than a ritual.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? I’m the oldest of 7 kids! I have 3 younger brothers and 3 younger sisters, which is probably a big part of why I’m such an energetic, social person. Growing up with 6 other kids around you at all times there’s never really a dull moment.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? I hear so many people hating on the radio all the time, but I personally love it. I think the issue is that people don’t necessarily tune into the right stations. Mainstream radio tends to have mostly pop music because that’s what’s popular right now, but if you want to listen to bands like All Time Low or Blink 182 you just have to tune into the right channels (which is usually college radio) same as you would with country music or any other genre.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Since most of my spare time is on tour, I love pretending to skateboard around Wal-Mart parking lots, hanging out with other bands and fans at shows, and staying up to date on the latest pop culture news!
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? I can twerk fairly well, don’t tell anyone though, they might think I’m one of those rap guys girlfriends!