AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
American Authors - Oh, What a Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.38
Musicianship 3.75
Lyrics 3.75
Production 4.38
Creativity 4.13
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 4.13
Average: 41%

American Authors - Oh, What a Life

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (03/07/14)
American Authors - Oh, What a Life
Record Label: Island Records
Release Date: March 4, 2014

Sometimes, this is all we need.

There’s nothing groundbreaking, earth-shattering or legendary about American Authors new album Oh, What a Life. In fact, the album is as predictable as they come, and yet even given that, it’s absolutely spellbinding.

Beginning with the ragged energy of the synth-tinged opener “Believer,” the quartet immediately stakes their claim as being 2014’s breakout band and the perfect cure to any rainy day. Sun-drenched, infectious and refreshingly optimistic, it’s a perfect song to welcome spring’s warmer weather. The band follows the same formula on the hyper-caffeinated “Think About It” and the ubiquitous and uber-catchy “Best Day Day of My Life.”

Arguably the strongest song of the disc’s first half is “Luck,” an autobiographical narrative in which vocalist Zac Barnett apologizes to his parents for being vacant and following too much in his father’s footsteps. Vocalist and songwriters for that matter are at their best when they are candid, unfailingly honest and open-hearted, and “Luck” falls squarely into those categories. Almost predictably, the quartet dives back into sun-kissed honey-pop on the breakup bopper “Trouble,” a song which vacillates between reedy, ruminative verses and a sprite, hip-shaking chorus. On the schizophrenic and cluttered “Hit It,” the band makes their first mistake, revisiting the same playbook as the song’s five predecessors and offering up nothing new or inspiring.

Thankfully, the erstwhile confessional “Home” steers the band back in the right direction. Though initially it starts off ordinary, the verses are absolutely titanic and some of the band’s strongest work to date. And then almost magically, Barnett pleads “I’m just trying to get home” before James Adam Shelly tears into a guitar solo, and then the song segues into a call-and-response outro and one of the more impassioned and memorable tracks by any pop band so far this year. The late summer vibe of “Love” sways like a hammock swing and has a breezy vernal vibe that makes it an amiable slice of filler. If the song has a silver lining it’s a hopeful look at hindsight that could probably speak to those still fretting and fuming over a bitter breakup.

From there however, the album offers very little save for the titular album closer. The jittery and propulsive cuts “Heart of Stone” and “Ghost” offers nothing to the album’s lasting impact and of all the eleven tracks are probably the biggest throwaways of the bunch. If the songs have a role it’s probably that they are live favorites and come alive on stage, but on this album they’re just ordinary and skippable. On the contrary, “Oh, What a Life” successfully marries earnest verses with percussive passion and a soaring chorus to make for one of the band’s best songs to date.

Probably the best thing about Oh, What a Life is how easily digestible, inoffensive and harmless it is. And sometimes that’s all it takes to get us out of a rut, a troubled spot or a dangerous situation. Being that this is the band’s first full-length, there’s plenty reason to think that their story is still not yet written. Given enough time and enough resources, this band could and probably will make a sizable dent in the pop charts in the months and years to come.

RIYL The Mowglis, Passion Pit, Imagine Dragons

American Authors is Zac Barnett: vocals
James Adam Shelley: guitar, banjo
Dave Rubin: bass
Matt Sanchez: drums

Tracklisting 1. Believer (3:04)
2. Think About It (3:04)
3. Best Day of My Life (3:14)
4. Luck (3:41)
5. Trouble (3:15)
6. Hit It (3:27)
7. Home (4:09)
8. Love (3:18)
9. Heart of Stone (3:06)
10. Ghost (2:53)
11. What a Life (3:39)

Produced by Shep Goodman (Blue October, Straylight Run, Hall and Oates) and Aaron Accetta

Find Them Here http://WeAreAmericanAuthors.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
01:43 PM on 03/07/14
derekrvr
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm super excited to give this a few more listens as the weather gets warmer. Nicely written review, too.
11:30 AM on 03/09/14
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
whoa oh oh ohhhh oh oh ohhh
01:00 PM on 03/09/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
I'm super excited to give this a few more listens as the weather gets warmer. Nicely written review, too.
i like the way you think
03:05 PM on 03/09/14
derekrvr
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like the way you think
I've got an ITunes playlist to toss on my ipod once the forecast no longer goes below 50. Super excited.
03:44 PM on 03/09/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
I've got an ITunes playlist to toss on my ipod once the forecast no longer goes below 50. Super excited.
thats so sick man haha
03:39 PM on 03/10/14
SpencerCoronado
Giant Black Doctor
User Info.
Best thing ever. Doing it right now.
03:44 PM on 03/10/14
derekrvr
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best thing ever. Doing it right now.
What do you have on there?
04:25 PM on 03/10/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Good album, these guys have been touring non-stop, I could see them getting real big.
04:25 AM on 03/11/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Good album, these guys have been touring non-stop, I could see them getting real big.
Really good live performers, too. So that always helps.
02:53 PM on 03/12/14
briXinRhands
>>----------;;----l>
User Info.
“Luck” FALLS squarely

Great review, just thought I'd bring that one to your attention. Really fun album.
05:38 AM on 03/13/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
“Luck” FALLS squarely

Great review, just thought I'd bring that one to your attention. Really fun album.
Thanks for the copy-editing. Much appreciated. And thanks for the kind words. Definitely a fun album.
02:00 PM on 03/13/14
TylerHartman
User Info.
The RIYL is spot-on. Great review. Really like this album, a lot. Hit me as immediately as The Mowgli's newest record did.
08:27 AM on 03/31/14
Razzie
User Info.
Definitely a good album!
10:19 PM on 05/20/14
maddewkey
Lovatics
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
To me, Home appears to the best track on the album. Although I didn't like the first few seconds of the song, the bridge, hooks and everything else is perfect.

Overall, I think the album is good.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums