AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Gold Light - 02.23.14

Interviewed by
Gold Light - 02.23.14The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

GOLD LIGHT
https://www.facebook.com/goldlightmusic
https://twitter.com/goldlightmusic
http://instagram.com/goldenlighten

Completed by Joe Chang, singer and songsmith for Gold Light.

1. How did you get your band name?
It descended from the heavens.

2. How did this band get started?
This one began with me in a basement in Eastern Kentucky two Springs ago, meaning to just write and record some folky acoustic ditties, but started writing all these doowop type pop songs instead. Then I just gathered my closest friends to actually make it a band.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
For this one, and just in general, I'd say Springsteen, Buddy Holly, Velvet Underground, Bowie, Jesus and Mary Chain, Roy Orbison, Phil Spector.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
The idea of touring around the early dawn of rock and roll era fascinates me, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry or even Elvis, just the newness and excitement of it, I think that'd be fun. Also it seems like early on a lot of those traveling band guys approached touring as like grinding it out, it had to be done to get their music out there, and there's something fascinating to me about that. Like being a rock musician was like punching a clock, and it was approached with this sense of a workingman's ethic, not celebrity or whatever, I like the honor in that. I mean, it still happens, it just seems like it was different back then.. Or maybe someone with a big luxury tour bus. Dolly Parton. Or like an 80s punk band, Minutemen or Husker Du or something.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
I got obsessed with these Wasabi and soy sauce flavored almonds. That and fizzy water. La Croix. Grapefruit flavor.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
"Aw, I got some stuff to say. Guess I'm kind of lucky that way. Most people don't have anything on their minds, do they?"

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Roger Federererrerrr.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My Grammy.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Duuuuude.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Always.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
:) (: * * Happy daze! * * :) (:

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"My Old Kentucky Home." But I never play it.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I forget you can do those. Vacations. I like the beach, but not the heat, so only in spells. I like outdoors, camping, mountains. I also enjoy roaming around bigger cities. So you know, big outdoor beach mountain cities.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Spanish guitar. There's this piece by Joaquin Rodrigo, "Concierto de Aranjuez." My dad had it on constantly. And just lots of classical and opera stuff that he listened to.. Pavarotti, Bach, Mozart... that was pretty much the soundtrack of my childhood.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd like some sort of healing/psychic powers, like something that would enable me to touch another person and make all their shit go away, heal any ailments.. or be able to communicate feelings exactly how I mean them, somehow transfusing empathy through touch I guess.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not anymore.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Fans? Aw shucks, they know everything there is to know.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I have no idea.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Think.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I also make films. I've made like 5 features. But no one's really seen them, so I guess that's hidden.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests