AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Nothing - Guilty of Everything Album Cover

Nothing - Guilty of Everything

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Nothing - Guilty of Everything
Record Label: Relapse Records
Release Date: March 4, 2014

There has been quite a bit of discussion about Nothing's lead singer, Dominic Palermo, being imprisoned for fucking stabbing a guy. He went to jail! He was in jail for a while! For stabbing someone! That's crazy; that's real shit. Much more real than me sitting here discussing his band's shoegaze-y, fuzzy doom-y pop music. While it may be loud and slathered in dark gray overtones, nothing I say will be as real as the fact that this dude stabbed a guy.

I obviously don't condone violence outside of punching a body pillow, but the sort of mindset that comes with prison is utterly fascinating. Music is usually a medium we connect to because there's something we can hold onto, but here we create meaning in the same way people praise totally foreign movies like Heat or Shawshank Redemption. This line of thought may be alien to us, but there's enough commonality via personality to latch onto that the subject material presented on Guilty of Everything still rings true to ex-cons and ex-suburbanites alike.

Much of this is due to the fact that Palermo treats his vocals like a windswept instrument while his band slathers noise on top of noise. On "Dig," for instance, there are lines like, "The rain on the roof / Is dirt pouring on my casket," but there's so much going on in the foreground we almost miss the devastating imagery. This sort of who-is-more-hardcore give and take is a constant throughout Guilty of Everything. Fast-moving (relatively) "Bent Nail," has opening lines like "I'm built to bleed / Plan my ruin guiltlessly," all while treating us to the psyche of the truly conflicted. And despite lots of aggression and plenty of sludgy grunge, the honesty is truly quite beautiful.

Because a record like Guilty of Everything is the sort of first album that takes itself too seriously in the most endearing way - it's something that must be purged before a band can move on. It's the sort of album where a song called "Get Well" features lines like, "There's gotta be a way / To escape from the rain / But I can't find it." Palermo and his bandmates knock us back song after song, only to show us that release is the only way to move on. And if Nothing have this much to say this fast out of the gate, we can only assume what's next will be truly enlightening. And completely alarming.

SCORE: 8.0

Recommended If You Like: My Bloody Valentine, Slint, Horror Show

Massive Nightwww.wearenothing.bandcamp.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:33 AM on 03/11/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Great review- definitely interested in checking this out. Been heavy into MBV and Miserable, lately.

On a sidenote, has anybody else seen the garbage that Whirr posts regarding critics, specifically Ian Cohen's p4k review of this record? They called him a pussy, and went on to call any fans who commented and complained the same thing, or a retard, etc. I'm sure it's still up on Whirr's Facebook page; really turned me off to supporting such a childish group of people.
09:00 AM on 03/11/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great review- definitely interested in checking this out. Been heavy into MBV and Miserable, lately.

On a sidenote, has anybody else seen the garbage that Whirr posts regarding critics, specifically Ian Cohen's p4k review of this record? They called him a pussy, and went on to call any fans who commented and complained the same thing, or a retard, etc. I'm sure it's still up on Whirr's Facebook page; really turned me off to supporting such a childish group of people.
not cool. i feel like they wouldn't like this review either. i didn't realize it was still cool to "hate the man."
09:10 AM on 03/11/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
not cool. i feel like they wouldn't like this review either. i didn't realize it was still cool to "hate the man."
It's not even as much the prospect of disagreeing or even disliking a review or critic, it's more or less the way they handle situations and fan relations that's seriously disheartening.
10:59 AM on 03/11/14
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
Whirr did the same thing to The Needle Drop guy, photoshopping a facebook photo or something like that. I know the bassist in Nothing is a guitarist in Whirr.

But, in their defense, not necessarily the use of their word, but their feelings, the Pitchfork review got a lot of things wrong about who sings what songs, and things like that. The score wasn't even bad considering how Pitchfork normally rates things, it just felt like the writer didn't give the album any real time.
11:50 AM on 03/11/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Whirr did the same thing to The Needle Drop guy, photoshopping a facebook photo or something like that. I know the bassist in Nothing is a guitarist in Whirr.

But, in their defense, not necessarily the use of their word, but their feelings, the Pitchfork review got a lot of things wrong about who sings what songs, and things like that. The score wasn't even bad considering how Pitchfork normally rates things, it just felt like the writer didn't give the album any real time.
it was one of those, "i like this but im afraid to say it" sort of reviews i think, which are always kind of frustrating. but i thought he kinda threw out the lyrics completely, which i have found to be pretty good/interesting.
12:48 PM on 03/11/14
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
it was one of those, "i like this but im afraid to say it" sort of reviews i think, which are always kind of frustrating. but i thought he kinda threw out the lyrics completely, which i have found to be pretty good/interesting.
Yeah, I actually stayed away from that as well in my review (I write for UTG). Palermo's lyrics are very heavy, I just found myself having a lot overall to say.

If you are interested...

http://www.underthegunreview.net/201...of-everything/

EDIT: ""Bent Nail," has opening lines like "I'm built to bleed / Plan my ruin guiltlessly," all while treating us to the psyche of the truly conflicted. And despite lots of aggression and plenty of sludgy grunge, the honesty is truly quite beautiful."

We definitely agree here. That is practically a different wording to my/your ending paragraph.
12:53 PM on 03/11/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.

It's not even as much the prospect of disagreeing or even disliking a review or critic, it's more or less the way they handle situations and fan relations that's seriously disheartening.

you know that Whirr doesn't care and only started commenting on it because people overreacted... to them dealing with a bunch of PC children isn't worth their time. I find it funny.
01:29 PM on 03/11/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
you know that Whirr doesn't care and only started commenting on it because people overreacted... to them dealing with a bunch of PC children isn't worth their time. I find it funny.
starting a discussion only to then proclaim that you are too cool or don't care about said discussion is pretty lame and extremely unoriginal.
01:36 PM on 03/11/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
starting a discussion only to then proclaim that you are too cool or don't care about said discussion is pretty lame and extremely unoriginal.
personally, everyone is overreacting and it is funny to watch people get hung up on it.
01:39 PM on 03/11/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
personally, everyone is overreacting and it is funny to watch people get hung up on it.
i guess, but hurling insults from the perch of social media is so tired now. it's not interesting and adds nothing to help that musical community gain footing.
03:39 PM on 03/11/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I prefer to think there's a difference between being PC and not advocating offensive and derogatory terms ("retard", specifically). The band definitely cares about press, and that's a good thing, but the way they handle it just makes turns me off to supporting them, as talented as they may be. Laugh all they want, but I'm not the only person who feels that way and I think whichever asshole thought it would be funny to start calling their fanbase "a bunch of pussies" shouldn't be surprised when others lose interest as well.
06:57 AM on 03/12/14
HappyTheHippie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Pitchfork review is why I checked this out and recommended it on Sunday. But whatever I like the music, don't care for the band or reviewers opinions that much (either way).
08:57 AM on 03/12/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
I prefer to think there's a difference between being PC and not advocating offensive and derogatory terms ("retard", specifically). The band definitely cares about press, and that's a good thing, but the way they handle it just makes turns me off to supporting them, as talented as they may be. Laugh all they want, but I'm not the only person who feels that way and I think whichever asshole thought it would be funny to start calling their fanbase "a bunch of pussies" shouldn't be surprised when others lose interest as well.
i stopped caring about being offended
09:21 AM on 03/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i stopped caring about being offended
you are very progressive!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music