AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Lower Lifes - 03.27.14

Interviewed by
Lower Lifes - 03.27.14The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Lower Lifes
http://www.facebook.com/lowerlifes
http://www.lowerlifes.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Me and Randy were compiling lists of ideas, and this one really stuck out to us. We were waiting on approval by someone who was supposed to start this band with us, than they backed out so we went with it. Itís supposed to be a double meaning kind of thing, people being considered less than (a low life), or the depression experienced during your life (I guess that meaning's kinda grammatically incorrect). Iíd also like to note that if you webster low life the plural is lifes. So na-na na boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

2. How did this band get started?
I was recording Randyís old metal core band at my studio and they were having some internal troubles. Randy came over to fix some things, and made a joke about knowing any bands looking for a drummer, and I took that opportunity to steal him and force him to play drums for me for the past year and a half. Heís probably pissed. Our guitarist Dylan was just a random happening, Randy posted we were looking for a guitarist after putting out this acoustic song and he instantly joined up, quitting his old band like a month later. Are you noticing a trend of me stealing musicians? Whatever. Our current lead player, Dean, was Dylan's roommate in college and has been hanging out the entirety of us being a band, we just recently recruited his skills.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I mean there're the obvious ones youíll hear in this genre like Nirvana, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc. But Iíd say we all kinda bring together our influences, lately Iíll listen to a lot of Brand New, Boys Night Out, or Bush (the three Bs) to get some vocal or bass inspiration, and we all jam the newer wave stuff like Daylight, Tigers Jaw, Basement, Seahaven, etc.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We would never deserve to share the stage with Brand New, but Iíd love to. I think touring with Foo Fighters would be like the most monumental thing ever, and maybe like Neutral Milk Hotel, no one would see that coming. Iíd love to tour with some new wave bands like Citizen or Balanace & Composure, maybe throw Title Fight in there. That would be like the saddest tour ever, we could call it the emopocalypse.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Cheap. McDonald's has way too much of our money, especially since Wal Marts usually have a 24 hour one inside. Itís like a fat poor person trap in every campsite. We try and get a lot of fruit and veggies on tour but itís really hard since that shit spoils, you have to buy a banana every morning. Randy swears by Powerade and a banana for breakfast and itís like less than a dollar. Electrolytes, yo.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because Will Yip mastered our EP. I mean even if you hate us, at least the quality is decent. Weíre not good at telling people about ourselves, mostly because no one gives a shit what you have to say about yourself. Theyíd rather have someone they trust be like, "This album's fuckin' rad," so if youíre that dude who likes to show your friends unknown bands, weíre for you.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Michael Jordon. He beat the Monstars.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our lord and savior, Voldemort. Thank you for swaying the hand of nonbelievers and goblet-of-firing our entry, without you this would have never been possible.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Find a way to bring back the mystery and allure of CDs. In the 90s I used to get so excited to own an album, flip through the lyric book, pop it into my computer and hope there was some kind of crazy experience. The Gorillaz self titled had this whole game like experience where your explored their building and it was insane, you had to get keys to unlock doors. I donít think bands do anything like that at all anymore, making it just a fancy physical copy of what I could grab off of bandcamp. That, and Iíd get rid of lyric videos. My favorite part of listening to an album growing up was NOT knowing the words and piecing together my own version until someone corrected me. I SWORE the Fall Out Boy lyric was "a loaded gun complex" for the longest time when that album came out, but things like that would be so memorable. Now you watch a lyric video and read along and you just think ďsomeone had to type these awful words and coordinate them with the song. Iím so sorry."

10. Memorable tour experience?
Cliff note run down would go 7 dudes, one Uhaul cargo van. Randy waking up in the band we were on tour with's van with just a pillowcase over his dick. Sharing a Wal Mart parking lot campout with Famous Last Words, Sycamour, Oceano (they didnít want to hang out with us), and Avenged Sevenfold (that last one is potentially made up). Opening for a Suicide Girls burlesque show at Dobbs in Philly on our day off. Showering at a New Jersey community pool. Smoking PCP laced weed from some scumbag in Ohio. Almost getting arrested on the way to Virginia Beach. Passing out stickers and telling kids to come watch us all over Greensboro College in NC and having none of them show up. Playing an acoustic set at an all hardcore band festival on Long Island to no one. The Mothman striking in West Virginia. Oh, and I took a picture of our old bassist's dick for him to send to his girlfriend because he couldnít get the right angle.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
A place where over opinionated people can tell you how much they hate whatever band you like. That sounds like a slight against the site, but I personally love that a place exists for people to do that. The exchange of ideas and opinions is so grand on the website, no other place can say they get the kind of traffic absolute punk does. A quality mix of people praising how good a band's new album is for one person to chime in and say something like ďI donít get why anyone likes this band, average at bestĒ and youíre allowed to. Sometimes mods will come in and make fun of you for being a dick, but unless you get out of hand no one will ban you for voicing your opinion and thats what the internet needs to exist, a free exchange of ideas.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Songs that arenít ours, people sing along to those. My favorite song off Karma to play is probably "Not Sick," just because how diverse that song is. It has fast parts, slow parts, jammy parts, and catchy parts. That's a song that weíve had a ton of Brand New comparisons to, and while I may not agree with them on that, if people want to get stoked on how diverse any of our songs are this is the one.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I havenít been to too many places outside of tour, but Virginia Beach was a party. All day and night the strip was full of people. The only lame thing was those no swearing signs and the fact that they canít sell alcohol in stores after like 9 or something? I donít remember - I was just pissed I couldnít get whiskey.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Kiss and Skidrow. My dad played classic rock constantly when I was growing up, and I went to 7 Kiss concerts before I was even 10. My sister's favorite bands were Bush and Garbage and all those grunge bands in the 90s so that was pretty impressionable on me, I could listen to Bush and Goo Goo Dolls forever. They both put out such good albums during that period (Dizzy Up the Girl and Sixteen Stone).

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flight. How rad would it be to just ignore traffic? Like, "hey dude wanna come hang? Let me just skip rush hour and be at your place in two seconds." Iíd fuck with so many planes. Iíd totally abuse being invisible or seeing through walls, so donít give me that kind of pressure. At least with flight the worst I could do is watch you undress outside your window.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Whiskey. I think my most anxiety filled shows are the ones where I didnít have at least one drink in me before we play. Iím usually a lot more entertaining and solid if I donít give a shit. Some shows where Iím completely sober I just look out at the crowd and am sure they hate me. I mean they probably do, but I donít care if I have whiskey.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
How much work and money we put into everything we do. Me and Randy are super anal about everything and try not to do anything unless it's perfect, we spent more money on merch and getting our EP made than most bands spend on all of their equipment. Weíre also very DIY, our first EPs were all handmade and handstamped from a block print of a moth I carved. Build and stain our own cabs, wire and fix our guitars. We do all our own design work, and go through our friends for pretty much anything we canít do ourselves.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
We donít belong on radio. It would be cool, and honestly I could see our music fitting on alternative stations, but radio is so flaccid and boring these days. I can only hear the same Imagine Dragons or Twenty|One|Pilots song so many times a day, and I donít want to go down as a band that people heard too much of.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spare time? Ha. This band has consumed our lives. If we arenít practicing or playing songs from our album, weíre working on the next thing that hasnít even been planned out. I donít think weíve had a moment in the past year and a half where we werenít writing SOMETHING or planning. We practice at least 3 times a week, and any time that isnít with our girlfriends weíre at our practice space at the hive doing this. Elder Scrolls Online + Game of Thrones new season is about to come out next week, though, and the band and my girlfriend are going to hate me.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Prior to me fucking up my wrist on the last tour I could spin my arm from the shoulder 360 degrees and bend my elbow in the wrong direction. Donít ask how I figured out I could do that.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests