AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Exclusive News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dr. Manhattan is Back!

Posted by - 11:56 AM on 04/15/14
Dr. Manhattan has returned! We spent some time talking with the band about what their plans are for the future -- hit the replies to see our conversation and watch a video announcement that only these guys could make. Welcome back boys.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
11:56 AM on 04/15/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
What led you guys to take some time away — and what convinced you to get back together again?

After we recorded Jam Dreams Nick revealed that he wanted to go back and finish his degree. That led us to trying out some other drummers and members that didn't so much gel like our original line-up. It was a true learning experience about the chemistry of musicians or any creative process. For instance, in our other band, Everything's Alright (shameless pluggin') the chemistry is way different. It's very apparent if you listen to that music that it is coming from a different place emotionally and creatively that is inspired by the specific collection of minds, which I love so dearly. Now that the four of us dmen are able and wanting to get together again we're all excited to make the most of these youthful, loud, and experimental vibes in ways that are accentuated for all of us when we put our heads together. This new music really feels like what we've been aiming for since the beginning. It feels like the Sandlot boys getting back together again. "You got it...pull it up."

What’s the plan in the foreseeable future? Any releases coming up?

We're recording next weekend!! For the new EP Bolo Yodo that's coming out on July 8! In support of Bolo Yodo we're doing a tour through the US which we'll be announcing soon and when we get back from that we'll be working on another EP to come out in the fall or winter which we'll probably tour for also. That was the king of run-ons. We're also releasing Jam Dreams on vinyl this summer!

I’ve heard through the grapevine you have some cool “extras” in store for the new music — what will that entail?

Yea! With the Jam Dreams vinyl you'll get a free download for some sweet treats that may include some remixes and live/acoustic renditions. Also we'll be putting out music videos for all of the songs on Bolo Yodo!

Everyone seems to think bands get back together for the money — that’s why you’re doing it right? Gonna start collecting those paychecks?

We're doing it for the creative reward and because there are feelings and ideas that we communicate strongest and most fluently through music. P-L-A-Y?? Because we gotta, baby!! If it brings us some loot, that would be great.

Where will you be releasing new music? Label? Self-released?

We'll be releasing all our stuff for free on bandcamp and selling physical copies through that and at shows. Signing to a label seems like an obvious "no" these days.

What sort of style will you be going for this time?

The first album was very much in one corner, while Jam Dreams was very much in seperate corners at seperate times. Bolo Yodo is a simultaneous meld of all of these corners plus a lot of new round edges to form a new sort-of-polygon-blob. As far as genres go, civil war stoner metal. No not really. It's sounds like garage punk space hip hop savage freak dance.

What do you think about all these bands coming back from hiatus in the past couple of years?

Refused, right? That was awesome. I saw Death From Above at FYF fest a few years back and it was sooooo fun. Me and my friends were completely covered in dirt afterwords. Faces. Dirt in gums. It's also great to see Paul Simon putting out music. Graceland is an all-time favorite. Nofx should go on a hiatus.

Goals for 2014?

Don't die. Put out our two EPs, travel around and share the music live as much as possible. Would really love to play some summer festivals and grow our band. Next year even more so and so on. Spreading the love!

Goals for 2045?

Since our civilization will be on the brink of collapse by then we just hope to be hydrated. PSA: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Don't litter. Keep the mcdonalds bags in your car until you find a garbage can. <---Preaching. But if humanity is still around we'll probably still be playing music together and inspiring people to love each other and have fun and be honest and pay us handsomely first and foremost. Hah.

12:09 PM on 04/15/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
New EP out 7/8/14!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12:13 PM on 04/15/14
ihaveblink
User Info.
MAILMAN WHAT DO YA GOT!?!?!?!?

Saw these guys back in 07 and haven't been the same since.
12:13 PM on 04/15/14
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
why haven't I ever heard of their other band, Everything's Alright til now!?
12:14 PM on 04/15/14
Jason Tate
User Info.

... just because ...
12:16 PM on 04/15/14
ratsforcandy
i miss the seasons..
User Info.
Holy shiiiiiiiiit. So fucking stoked
12:44 PM on 04/15/14
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
Awesome!!
12:53 PM on 04/15/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
This'll be sooo good
12:57 PM on 04/15/14
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
they've been playing shows in Chicago off and on for close to a year now...

did people really not know that they were active again.
01:03 PM on 04/15/14
ttmessick
User Info.
Holy crap this is awesome!
01:07 PM on 04/15/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
These guys are a blast to see live.
01:07 PM on 04/15/14
rob_mylo
@itstherobster
User Info.
they've been playing shows in Chicago off and on for close to a year now...

did people really not know that they were active again.

Yeah, thought they've been back for a bit.

Either way I'm excited. EP comes out on my birthday!
01:34 PM on 04/15/14
AeroIce
Post-Hardcore Enthusiast
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These guys are a blast to see live.
I started listening to these guys because they are so good live. I first saw them back to back nights in Chicago at the Metro; lineup was D Man, TREOS, then Senses Fail and NFG co-headlining (still the best lineup of any concert I have been to). I remember checking out their music before the concerts and thinking "nah, not that good". Then I saw them live and they thoroughly convinced me otherwise. So much energy. And this is the only band that has ever done this for me: where I listen to a live show of an unknown band and I think "woah, I need to listen to this music."
01:35 PM on 04/15/14
tub and rug
I found a spark in the normal.
User Info.
I started listening to these guys because they are so good live. I first saw them back to back nights in Chicago at the Metro; lineup was D Man, TREOS, then Senses Fail and NFG co-headlining (still the best lineup of any concert I have been to). I remember checking out their music before the concerts and thinking "nah, not that good". Then I saw them live and they thoroughly convinced me otherwise. So much energy.
I was just talking with a buddy about that tour. They played 2 nights at the Metro. I was still in college and wasn't able to attend.

I believe A Cursive Memory opened the other night.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos