AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
You.May.Die.In.The.Desert - Bears in the Yukon Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics N/A
Production 7
Creativity 6.75
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 10
Production 9.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 99%

You.May.Die.In.The.Desert - Bears in the Yukon

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (07/22/08)
You.May.Die.In.The.Desert - Bears in the Yukon
Release Date: June 28th, 2008
Record Label: The Mylene Sheath

Who lives moments encapsulated in You.May.Die.In.The.Desert songs? Not I. Though I wish the glossy, sweater-weather shivers in "Oceanfloor Hijinks" would begin to serenade every time I stepped out of my apartment's elevator and in to the stuffy fifth floor hallway that always smells of moldy linens. Movie music, Bears in the Yukon to be my soundtrack. It's nothing you haven't heard before, but creativity is (really, come on) the least of your worries when fault comes in such dappled doses. The beauty of this record is only as patient as a hospital waiting room; etherized and ethereal when the moment calls for snaking crescendos and less interaction, panicked and desperate when the communication is fraught with intricacies and instrumental maleficence. "Post-rock" is a shortcut to "pretty", but the term is petty and quite a little slut. Look at YMDITD as music that feels right for when you're feeling right. Bears won't comfort, but it will put a rhythm to the passing cragged sidewalks out your car window or the city-glare off in the distance of your fifth-floor apartment's balcony.

However, this is not to say you'll be antsy to put the record on every time you're feeling less ready to listen to words and moreso ready to sit down with dissonant instrumentals. The album is actually fairly discomforting. The music forces you to follow along, it won't fade in the background -- which is not in the least a bad thing, unless this kind of stuff is only the jelly for your midnight reading session or internet-surfing marathon. It'll grit its teeth, though in the least threatening way like a fat Pug showing you its chompers when you get too close to its kibble: you might get bitten, but you'll only be tickled and reach again for another round of dodge-and-dance.

The instrumentation elicits some kind of imagery -- certainly scenery that is in someway always fucking wiggling around. "Monorails" shares with me a story of a retarded moose on its way for a drink by the stream; glazed textures and certain spots of soft, welcoming features being lapped up by intertwining spit-and-dribble that some might describe as "mathy". That's another thing, I hope none of you genre-frustrated morons on last.fm (that happen to read this) go near You.May's page and tag them as "math rock". This isn't Chavez, no one should be continuing a misconstrued off-stage antic. I'll let it slide with Don Caballero because there are times when I pull out a calculator to add up how many times Ian Williams gets me in the mood, then subtract from that the amount of respect I lost for the band after World Class Listening Problem. Again, it is not math-rock, it is just angularly crafted.

There's a certain electronic element to the band, as well. Not to the extent that 65Days, or even Pele, took it, but it's evident. Whether in ambiance ("Interlude") or a quick and metallic opening courtesy of a drum machine ("The Writer's Audience Is Always Fiction"), it serves small purposes and may not even be paid attention to. It's certainly the most subtle thing You.May has going for them. Seattle has bred confrontational bands in the past (except for what Beat Happening introduced) and it has certainly soaked in to this trio's loins.
The completely uninformed will deem them similar to Explosions in the Sky or some such banner for the sound, but don't be misled. Explosions fans can get in to it, but may find themselves getting more involved with the music, more in friction with it. This is music for staring at ceilings, as well as for tearing them down.

Oh, and is it noteworthy that this issue of the album comes with a remix? Thought not.

Recommended If You Like:Caspian, Unwed Sailor, Foxhole

Get A Better Look:You.May @ Myspace

Buy It Here:

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15.
04:01 AM on 07/23/08
Plunk
Meccamputecht
User Info.
Mhh... I'm currently discovering this band on the Myspace page. I like, the kind of post-rockish stuff I'm digging.
05:04 AM on 07/23/08
tommyhaych
Mayor West
User Info.
I'm digging their excessive punctuation use.
05:14 AM on 07/23/08
Plunk
Meccamputecht
User Info.
I'm digging their excessive punctuation use.
Yeah, it's funny. There is also a band called ashes.are.nutritious, but they don't always use the punctuation.
05:16 AM on 07/23/08
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
hahaha at the last sentence. I hate it when remixes are tagged onto the ends of albums.
05:57 AM on 07/23/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This is such an odd, confusing and well-written review. I'd say I agree with it, but I'm not entirely following a lot of it. The retarded moose thing was brilliant, if not a little unconventional. Then there's the profanity, and the Last.FM slap-in-the-face and the incessant condescension. It's all so antic and b izzare. And because of that, it's left me scratching my head. But maybe, that's the aim. In the end, it has me interested to listen. And I guess that's the whole point. Cheers, Scott.
06:11 AM on 07/23/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I absolutely adore this album. It remains one of my favorite post-rock releases.
08:50 AM on 07/23/08
mattkinahan
User Info.
Either you're a misunderstood genius or you have a really good thesaurus.
11:41 AM on 07/23/08
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Either you're a misunderstood genius or you have a really good thesaurus.

I wish it was either.
11:47 AM on 07/23/08
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I like the Harmonic Motion split better than this release, but it's still quite good. And I went to HS with the guitar player. Sup brian?
04:15 PM on 07/23/08
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
User Info.
I like this review because it's more creative than most that I read on this site, so . When I wrote for Decoy Music I tried to imbue my reviews with an analogous whimsicality. I do, however, have a few quibbles:

-"Ambience" is misspelled.

-Despite how journalists have it, I never thought of Chavez as a math-rock outfit. Examples include Sleeping People, Pele, toe, Oxes, Ghosts & Vodka, LITE, Maps & Atlases, and certainly Don Caballero. You're right, though: this band definitely does not purvey math-rock.

-Speaking of Don, I completely disagree with your sentiment about World Class Listening Problem. Although bereft of Ian Williams' nonpareil aesthetic, the songwriting is excellent, Che sounds more energetic than ever, and the whole record feels like one fun listen.

-Unless AbPunk.net is suddenly observing British standards, all punctuation should be in quotation marks.

With that said, despite their hokey moniker I enjoy this band.
04:21 PM on 07/23/08
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I like this review because it's more creative than most that I read on this site, so . When I wrote for Decoy Music I tried to imbue my reviews with an analogous whimsicality. I do, however, have a few quibbles:

-"Ambience" is misspelled.

-Despite how journalists have it, I never thought of Chavez as a math-rock outfit. Examples include Sleeping People, Pele, toe, Oxes, Ghosts & Vodka, LITE, Maps & Atlases, and certainly Don Caballero. You're right, though: this band definitely does not purvey math-rock.

-Speaking of Don, I completely disagree with your sentiment about World Class Listening Problem. Although bereft of Ian Williams' nonpareil aesthetic, the songwriting is excellent, Che sounds more energetic than ever, and the whole record feels like one fun listen.

-Unless AbPunk.net is suddenly observing British standards, all punctuation should be in quotation marks.

With that said, despite their hokey moniker I enjoy this band.

1) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambiance
2) the term math-rock was invented by a fan of Chavez, I was referencing that.
3) American Don is the epitome of the band, World Class is its heavier, medicated cousin.
4) Oops.
04:26 PM on 07/23/08
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.
this ep is really good. You guys should also check their split with Gifts From Enola, it's awesome.
11:47 AM on 07/25/08
Casanova, Baby!
New Boot Goofin'
User Info.
Our. Band. Is. Really. Against. The. Lack. Of. Punctuation. In. The. Rest. Of. The. Music. Scene. So. We. Are. All. About. It. In. Our. Band. Name.
09:16 AM on 07/27/08
IcedOpethBlind
User Info.
i heard some clips and enjoyed it so i picked it up...have yet to put it on though lol
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS