Password

Album Review
Family Force 5 - Dance or Die Album Cover

Family Force 5 - Dance or Die

Reviewed by
Family Force 5Dance or Die
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
Release Date: August 19, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Even though Family Force 5 may be the musical equivalent of mixing Mentos and Coke – lots of build up for something that only ever happens one way – I find myself oddly pleased with Dance or Die. Yes, in this case the album title says it all. There are plenty of inventive beats and, well, blatant references to shakin’ what yo momma gave you (assuming you’re not an orphan!). Soul Glow Activatur still screeches and groans his way through lyrics that aren’t super smart or super dumb. He’s a character leading characters (like Xanadu, who doesn’t even play an instrument) and Dance or Die feels theatrical in it’s over-the-top-ness. But as I said, it’s fulfilling and even a bit more grown up than Business Up Front… I still have to be weary of where and for whom I play FF5; however, I also think more and more people will finally spit out their Haterade and go with the flow.

Dance Or Die spends most of its time blasting out grungy beats and southern rock-amplified guitars. A band dressed in pant suits and stunna shades may seem to have forgotten their Georgian roots, but their down home upbringing continually pops up in the brick-breaking riffs of “Wake The Dead” and “Radiator.” Soul Glow’s grating voice will require some audible training on the listener’s part, but once he clicks, well, he’ll have you eating delicious waffles out of his Hulk-sized hand. Also making a very noteworthy appearance are the (expected) electronic-driven songs. I don’t know if I want to stylishly groove or headbutt something when the warped guitars and zinging synths of “Fever” smash down. “The First Time” and its button-pressing beeps sounds like a b-side from the previous album. Its glorious verse build-up is a welcomed addition to FF5’s formula. The song fights the urge to become too loud while its chorus may help them make the leap to mainstream alt-rock radio.

“How In The World” and “Share It With Me” are both fairly subdued, especially for these guys. 80’s style synth notes weave in and out while Soul Glow drops lyrics (in T-Pain voice, no less) like, “If you were here with me right now / I don’t know what I’d do.” They’ve either written a love song or a creepy worship song. I can never tell. “Share It With Me”’s piano and drum intro is a nice, calm change of pace. This song also features melodic singing and a mission to chill us out rather than jazz us up. Both songs work, if only because they are unexpected. Their placement on the album helps to break up the usual FF5 fare - “Party Foul” is so cluttered I almost had a panic attack, for example. Still, Dance or Die is truly an audience-widening album.

You don’t know it yet, but this is your favorite album of the year. Get over yourself; Iron and Wine stole their lyrics from some dead poet. Brand New sneezed on a napkin and it happened to look like a chord progression (they then recorded “Guernica”). Family Force 5 do furniture commercials, play video games, and occasionally write songs about raves and shit. You can obviously listen to whatever you like, but why wouldn’t you throw this in the rotation every once in a while?

Recommended If You Like: 3OH!3, Alien Ant Farm, Sinestro, Switchfoot meets Tenacious D meets Chromeo, Mephisto

Put a little BLAKE in itwww.familyforce5.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
04:44 PM on 08/08/08
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Marry me.
05:34 PM on 08/08/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I liked the first album but I wasn't really feeling the EP.
08:56 PM on 08/08/08
cereal4life
User Info.
"Guernica" is a crap song. I can't wait to listen to my favourite album of the year. Going to be awesome!
09:04 PM on 08/08/08
The Personist
http://davidwpritchard.tumblr.co m
User Info.
"Guernica" is a crap song. I can't wait to listen to my favourite album of the year. Going to be awesome!

"Guernica" is not crap. You fail.
09:53 PM on 08/08/08
knowthisx
brujah brujah!
User Info.
"Guernica" is a crap song.

10:24 PM on 08/08/08
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
That album art is pretty sick though.
10:27 PM on 08/08/08
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
i'm looking forward to checking this out, even though I haven't really been too excited for it or anything
10:33 PM on 08/08/08
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am not into FF5 at all...Not my thing...

I heard the new songs, as well...I thought I was going to hopefully enjoy them more...

But it just did nothing for me though :/
10:45 PM on 08/08/08
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
the last paragraph says it all. lol
10:59 PM on 08/08/08
Hockeywall
Drink Beer, Play Hockey
User Info.
I interviewed Chapstique at Toronto warped and he said Radiator is like the "Luv Addict" of DoD.

I'll give it a listen, this stuff is so over the top it's hard to take it seriously though but it's fun to listen to. Saying that I really don't think they take themselves too seriously either[they like to have fun pretty much].
11:47 PM on 08/08/08
werealldudes19
I'm best known for failure
User Info.
good review
these guys are so fucking fun
11:53 PM on 08/08/08
micahistheballs
AP's Resident Theology Student
User Info.
I can't believe these guys used to be among my favourite bands 4 years ago haha.
12:14 AM on 08/09/08
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
Im looking forward to this album a lot. The Dance Or Die EP is amazing as is there first full length.
Awesome to see live, if you can get past the fact that they are kinda lame.
12:17 AM on 08/09/08
Armor42
User Info.
The score is 74 percentage points too high

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News