AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Five Cent Wing - Fall in Love with Fiction EP Album Cover

Five Cent Wing - Fall in Love with Fiction EP

Reviewed by
Five Cent Wing - Fall in Love With Fiction (EP)
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: February 12, 2008
Who?

A promising four-piece pop-punk band from the rising Raleigh, North Carolina music scene (The Mile After), who blend clean-cut, perfect-fit vocals (think Forgive Durden meets In Reverie-era Saves the Day) and storyline songwriting (The Get Up Kids, The Ataris) into something well-worth listening to.

How is it?

With an overcrowded pop scene becoming all that more crowded with every turn, it's a breath a fresh air to have a young upstart band like Five Cent Wing come along. The band knows exactly who they are talking to, never treating the listener as dumb as the material at hand (we all know what bands are guilty of doing this), bringing songs that are about growing up, friendship and getting out of your hometown back to the forefront of subject matter in pop-punk - something that The Ataris and MxPx (amongst others) made good use of in the late 90's. "Pillaging Your Villaging" discusses the band's goals with a candor not heard often in many young voices of today, with vocalist Evan Lucy belting out, in a confident swagger, "So while you're sitting on your couch / We're making plans for getting out," speaking to those that watch life go by and later on, wonder where the hell it went.

"Who I Am Tonight" has some bite to its loose-ended pop groove, and drummer Patrick Burt brings a jazzy feel to the verses before erupting into a chorus so catchy, you just might find yourself dancing in the living room as your cat/dog/lover stares on before getting up to dance along with you. Bassist Brian Ritter gives "Our Brand New Lives" a deep undercurrent of edge and emotion, as Lucy and guitarist Danny Kaufman skillfully prove they are certainly not novices at playing guitar. The ballad sounds like early Straylight Run, with Lucy sounding so much like John Nolan - and the emotional background resembling much of the self-titled debut - you honestly forget you're listening to a self-funded band who is still trying to make their break. And just try - I dare you - to not fall head over heels for the power-pop, guttural-eruption that is "Danger! High Fashion!" - it's a force to be reckoned with, on all levels.

In just under 22 minutes, Five Cent Wing snags your ear, earns your attention and provides an EP that not only sounds absolutely fantastic, but (most importantly) doesn't sound like it's been performed by a band who has yet to achieve mainstream success, still struggling to find that balance between the middle ground. Forget falling in love with fiction - if you need a new band to set your sights on, fall in love with Five Cent Wing.

Recommended if You LikeThe Ataris, John Nolan meets Thomas Dutton and reflecting back on your hometown while wondering whatever happened to that one guy who thought he was entirely too cool but still hits on high school chicks
Choice Cuts"Pillaging Your Villaging" and "Danger! High Fashion!"

Tracklist1. Dear Tonight...
2. Pillaging Your Villaging
3. Our Brand New Lives
4. Who I Am Tonight
5. Danger! High Fashion!
BandEvan Lucy - lead vocals/guitar
Brian Ritter - bass/vocals
Danny Kaufman - lead guitar/vocals
Patrick Burt - drums/vocals

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Purevolume
PurchaseOfficial Merch Store
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:45 AM on 08/01/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I was wondering where I've heard of these guys before. They're from NC, haha. Great review. I'm going to check these guys out now.
03:17 PM on 08/01/08
Genuma
User Info.
RockVocalPower! I liked this EP.
01:48 AM on 08/02/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Really good stuff.
09:01 AM on 08/02/08
MarsEatWorld
This is it.
User Info.
this is a really solid band. and the members are too nice =]
04:37 PM on 08/06/08
For real?????
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really good review
02:34 AM on 08/10/08
bigmike
...is "big" and "mike"
User Info.
Really nice dudes, but not a very accurate review. Its almost as if someone paid you to write this good of a review. Sad.
I know. How dare Chris Fallon write a review about an EP that he thoroughly enjoyed. Sell out! Who's paying you, Fallon!? Come clean, you cheater.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos