Password

Album Review

Giants - Old Stories Album Cover

Giants - Old Stories

Reviewed by
GiantsOld Stories
Record Label: Cavity Records
Release Date: August 26, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If I’m writing about an instrumental band it can only mean one thing: I’m going to compare said band to This Will Destroy You or Explosions in the Sky. I just don’t know any better! I’m one dimensional and securely planted on the hype train, oh well. However, Giants deserve this treatment because of their rising melodies, piano intonations and wait-for-it climaxes. Yes, finale “At Last, Ashore” has a high-pitched riff that could have easily fit within All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone’s lonely walls. Yes, opener “While The Ages Steal” could very well be a long lost song from This Will Destroy You (or more specifically, it might be an electronic-less outtake from when they were writing “The Mighty Rio Grande”). But whatever, those songs are great and so are the ones filling up Old Stories. A second rate TWDY or Unwed Sailor song is still a damn good thing. (And just to be clear, I don’t believe these songs are second rate in any way, shape or form. I just know how you all can get.) This is post-rock at its most dramatic and its least snobby.

Whereas I found They, The Undeserving a bit high on the musical difficulty scale, Old Stories revels in its inherent accessibility. Song lengths, in true Giants fashion, never become too tedious and, with the exception of “Fisherman’s Prayer,” we are never forced to sit and wait for a nonexistent resolve. “Vessels” wastes no time elevating itself with melodious guitar plucking and a cymbal/tom assault. So as not to blow their load too soon, the band rests with reverberating guitars until the (almost) cliché entrance of ghastly, ringing guitars bring us back into the commotion. “O’ Tide” is characterized by lightly accentuated snare taps until the whole song explodes into a driving mess of guitar notes 10-stories high. This slow moving track will creep across your mind. Giants never rush their art past the listener, and these near-repetitions only aide our reception of the overwhelmingly complex arrangements.

“Sleeping False Idol” lays on a grungy outer layer to begin, which is then morphed into technical guitars and a head-bobbing drumbeat. The climax seems imminent throughout, and it is in these songs that we expect the most. I’ll let you decide if Giants succeed. (What?? Tell me what I like!!) “At Last, Ashore,” as I mentioned previously, has a decidedly EITS vibe, which makes it quite an exceptional closing track. If all the other songs are pre-teens, this song is their cool older brother wearing horn-rimmed glasses and a backpack full of Chaucer. He’ll shut you up with his brilliance and buy you an ice cold Pabst afterwards. The song may lack a mind-numbing climax, but that’s ok. It’s a road less traveled, if you will. Which I guess is a good (sorta ironic) way to end this since I’ve spent the whole review comparing and critiquing this record solely based on other records. Old Stories could have been created by sticking to the tried and true formula of records past, but this isn’t a complete rehash. Giants are comfortable in a skin all their own.

Recommended If You Like: Explosions in the Sky, Followed By Ghosts, rocky shores, This Will Destroy You, Unwed Sailor, screaming Argonauts

Who Watches Over You?www.myspace.com/giantsmusic

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
05:03 PM on 08/16/08
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
this review sucked.

jk rowlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07:37 PM on 08/16/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Blake, I would like to know in the hell you write so goddamn good reviews. Thank you.
01:04 PM on 08/17/08
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Quote:
If I’m writing about an instrumental band it can only mean one thing: I’m going to compare said band to This Will Destroy You or Explosions in the Sky. I just don’t know any better! I’m one dimensional and securely planted on the hype train, oh well.
Blake Solomon? More like Blake LOLOMON.

God, I wish I'd thought of that.
03:48 PM on 08/17/08
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
Very nice. Haven't discovered and good post-rock lately. Looking forward to this.
01:41 AM on 08/18/08
TheBaroness
User Info.
Blake, you crazy beast you. Good review.

Great album
06:42 AM on 08/18/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i will have to check these guys out asap. Stellar review friend.
08:23 AM on 08/18/08
capnshindig
Guten Taaaag!
User Info.
My band (The Winter Mission) played a show with these guys a little while back when they were touring for their last album, they were pretty awesome. I'll have to check this out.
09:34 AM on 08/18/08
randall814
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Leave it to Blake to bring the post-rock hotness to the close-minded masses here at AP.net (and don't get offended because I'm not necessarily talking about anyone specific).

Excellent review yet again. More accessible and much less pretentious than some of the writers here that think this is the New York Times (I won't name names but I WILL continue to use parentheses).

Thanks again, I quite like Giants and They, The Undeserving was excellent. Good followup from these post-rock professionals.

Very nice. Haven't discovered and good post-rock lately. Looking forward to this.

Mooncake.
09:43 AM on 08/18/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Leave it to Blake to bring the post-rock hotness to the close-minded masses here at AP.net (and don't get offended because I'm not necessarily talking about anyone specific).

Excellent review yet again. More accessible and much less pretentious than some of the writers here that think this is the New York Times (I won't name names but I WILL continue to use parentheses).

Thanks again, I quite like Giants and They, The Undeserving was excellent. Good followup from these post-rock professionals.

Mooncake.

thanks, holmes. Where is this "here" that you speak of?
11:43 AM on 08/18/08
Gustavatron.
9:13
User Info.
Wow, that first paragraph probably got this band another listener. I've been meaning to listen to them, but I've been... busy. Now I'm no longer busy.

Quote:
The song may lack a mind-numbing climax, but that’s ok. It’s a road less traveled, if you will.
This kind of reminded me of what The Silent Ballet said about Tulsa Drone's music in general.

Either way, great review, smart review, to the point review. I'll come back to rate the album myself later, I guess. Thanks! =]
12:27 PM on 08/18/08
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
You referenced Unwed Sailor as a RIYL. That makes me VERY interested.
I dig the album art too.
12:55 PM on 08/18/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
You referenced Unwed Sailor as a RIYL. That makes me VERY interested.
I dig the album art too.

it's not nearly as bass driven, but it's still that pretty kind of music that makes you ponder things all the while.
01:14 PM on 08/18/08
RunStrong
User Info.
Good to see some love for Giants on this site.
01:19 PM on 08/18/08
LowFlyingJets
User Info.
this cd appeals to me a lot more than any of the EITS or TWDY releases. i dunno why. i love it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos