AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Scenic, The - Find Yourself Here Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.61
Musicianship 7.89
Lyrics 7.96
Production 7.96
Creativity 7.89
Lasting Value 7.96
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Scenic, The - Find Yourself Here

Reviewed by: Adrian Villagomez (08/21/08)
The Scenic - Find Yourself Here
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: July 22, 2008

The Scenic got it wrong with the album cover to Find Yourself Here. The mountainous landscape just doesn’t fit. Listening to this album conjures up images up sand, sun, and… death? Yep, it’s all right here in the music. An album cover closer to Everything in Transit by Jack's Mannequin would have been better, though with less city and more sea. Maybe a sea monster could have even been tossed in to represent strife, or just to look cool.

Visual digressions aside, most of you probably already know The Scenic as a pop punk band recently signed to Victory Records. Dig a little deeper and you’ll find that ex-Rory singer Jeremy Menard has stepped in as the band’s singer, bringing with him experience and a familiar energy. As is the case with most pop punk, this album doesn’t break much, if any, new ground. But if pop punk is your forte, Find Yourself Here is better than just another notch on the genre bedpost.

“The American Way” (great song title, huh?) is the breakout single of this album. The music is catchy, there are background vocals galore, and teenage boys and girls alike will be tickled by the not-so-subtle sexuality in the lyrics. “The American Way” is also the best opportunity to sing along with Menard as he enthusiastically belts out, “And I knoooooow that you already know. / Moving soooooo fast, that you’re bound to lose control.” It’s a pretty irresistible hook. Still, listening to this track is somewhat bittersweet. As a general rule I’m not a fan of production that polishes music to a glossy shine, and that usually comes with the territory of pop punk. So, I prefer the raw snippets of “The American Way” in the studio videos the band produced during recording sessions as opposed to the flawless album version. I’m sure this observation won’t deter most listeners, but there you are.

The seaside imagery I mentioned before is most prominent in “Bon Voyage Mr. Bones,” which actually implements the lovely voices of seagulls (don’t worry, they’re not overbearing) as part of the effect. Oh, and remember that odd mention of death in the introduction? Take a look at the chorus to “Mr. Bones”: “Oh no (oh no!). / Oh well (oh well!). / We’re on our way to hell.” Lyrics like this aren’t as grim as, say, Saves the Day’s “As Your Ghost Takes Flight,” but they provide a nice contrast between pop and pain. Another notable track is “Direction,” which is acceptable in its slow pace due to its fine storytelling. The lyrics are reminiscent of Ace Enders’ method of conjuring memories of people he’s met (whether based in reality or fantasy, I’m not sure) to put forth a message. “Direction” is more pessimistic than Mr. Enders has sounded as of late, but it is alluring: “Breezy Sunday afternoon, / I was strolling along the sidewalk strips down on 7th Avenue. / A stranger asked me for direction. / I said, ‘I don’t have a clue. / I swear I’m just as lost as you.’”

As I said, fans of pop punk will be in comfortable territory here. If you’ve become jaded with the genre (and who could blame you?), Find Yourself Here may not be for you. This is more good (not particularly special or “outstanding”) pop punk, take it or leave it. If you’re looking for a compliment to a sunny walk on the sand, you’ve found it.

Track Listing01. Lights Out
02. The American Way *
03. Armageddon
04. Hold Me Close
05. Bon Voyage Mr. Bones *
06. Take Your Time
07. Are You Down?
08. And We Collide
09. Notice Me *
10. Direction *
11. All My Friends
12. Follow

* - definitely download

Recommended if You Likepop punk by the beach; Forever the Sickest Kids; You, Me, and Everyone We Know; Brighten; Hot Rod Circuit

ListenAmazon; iTunes; Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29.
05:30 AM on 08/21/08
TooLateF0rRoses
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very well written review. As someone who only listens to pop-punk every so often, this album didnt really grab me. It had its moments, but overall it is pretty average.
06:54 AM on 08/21/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I would say this was my favorite pop-punk release this summer. Really, really enjoy the album.
09:41 AM on 08/21/08
rosematter
myspace.com/rosematter
User Info.
Best release of the year, this album is incredible. If you don't get your hands on it one way or another, you're absolutely missing out.
09:57 AM on 08/21/08
ilovebsb
I duno if i'd call this pop punk but fans of pop/rock in vein of boys like girls meets easton will def. enjoy this.
11:11 AM on 08/21/08
shyhgrl4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is an incredible album. i love every single song on it. i'll admit i only ordered it because i wanted the t-shirt that came with the CD from the Victory Records website so i was not sure if i would like the CD... but i don't regret buying it at all. it wasn't what i expected, and that's a good thing.
I Love The Scenic! :)
12:14 PM on 08/21/08
Closet Fan
User Info.
THE SCENIC'S brand new generic, effortless album Find Yourself Queer is now in stores! Make yourself queer and pick up a copy. You may find yourself full of regret, but at least the album art will afford you the opportunity to reminisce about one of Nickelodeon's best and not-so watered-down* animated series (The Angry Beavers).

The Scenic and the entire Fearless Records band roster

Absolute Punk:
So, Jeremy, please tell us. What was it like recording the album?

Jeremy: Well, we drank a lot of wine coolers, played plenty of grab-ass and, not to mention, plenty of that Rayman game for the Playstation console.

Dan: Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Rayman really kind of inspired a lot of the mediocrity and homo eroticism on this record.

Jeremy: Like, we totally half-assed this shit, but it's all gravy 'cause Victory can't let us go. We've got four more gems like this one to deliver to 'em.

GO CHECK THEM OUT ON TOUR NOW!

12:14 PM on 08/21/08
blinkredstar
User Info.
Let me just say this record is NOT pop-punk. There is nothing you can compare this record to say a We The Kings record or an All Time Low album. To be honest, the reviewer skipped over the best parts of this album. I happen to like the album artwork, and I think it goes quite well with the music on the record.

If this is considered an album review (a review of three songs and the album artwork), then I guess one could consider a movie review to be what one thought about a couple of scenes in the movie plus how they thought about the DVD cover.

Please check this album out and make a judgement for yourself.

I appreciate the review though. I have been waiting quite awhile for it. Thanks!
01:31 PM on 08/21/08
lenard27
Let's Go Pens! And Yanks!
User Info.
THE SCENIC'S brand new generic, effortless album Find Yourself Queer is now in stores! Make yourself queer and pick up a copy. You may find yourself full of regret, but at least the album art will afford you the opportunity to reminisce about one of Nickelodeon's best and not-so watered-down* animated series (The Angry Beavers).

The Scenic and the entire Fearless Records band roster

Absolute Punk:
So, Jeremy, please tell us. What was it like recording the album?

Jeremy: Well, we drank a lot of wine coolers, played plenty of grab-ass and, not to mention, plenty of that Rayman game for the Playstation console.

Dan: Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Rayman really kind of inspired a lot of the mediocrity and homo eroticism on this record.

Jeremy: Like, we totally half-assed this shit, but it's all gravy 'cause Victory can't let us go. We've got four more gems like this one to deliver to 'em.

GO CHECK THEM OUT ON TOUR NOW!

I'd just like to congratulate you on your excellent first post.
Keep up the creativity!
01:34 PM on 08/21/08
Chico
User Info.
Overall, its nothing groundbreaking. I totally dug it out though. Notice me and Armageddon are my favorite tracks.
01:42 PM on 08/21/08
robotscantlove
User Info.
enough painful innuendo in music please.
i.e. cute is what we aim for, etc.

i laugh so hard in that one song where it's like "those legs are looking so good", or something to that extent and then the whole band chimes in with group vocals like "SO DAMN GOOD"

seriously though, jeremy menard is a genius. this album made me miss rory even more.
02:09 PM on 08/21/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Rory was so good ... this was a big letdown. Another yawn-inducing pop-rock record. Yay.

Well-written review, AV. Always love reading your stuff.
02:09 PM on 08/21/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Let me just say this record is NOT pop-punk. There is nothing you can compare this record to say a We The Kings record or an All Time Low album. To be honest, the reviewer skipped over the best parts of this album. I happen to like the album artwork, and I think it goes quite well with the music on the record.

If this is considered an album review (a review of three songs and the album artwork), then I guess one could consider a movie review to be what one thought about a couple of scenes in the movie plus how they thought about the DVD cover.

I appreciate the review though. I have been waiting quite awhile for it. Thanks!
I try to avoid track-by-track reviews. I don't like reading them myself, unless the album is a classic that really deserves a deep analysis of every song.
02:26 PM on 08/21/08
Moral_Orel
DIG IT!!!
User Info.

Then exactly what is it? It reminds me of Ace Enders/Ten in a way but with some flare to it.
02:30 PM on 08/21/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Also, I usually blur the lines between pop punk/rock as no big deal. So I could see people calling me out on that.

Rory was so good ... this was a big letdown. Another yawn-inducing pop-rock record. Yay.

Well-written review, AV. Always love reading your stuff.
Thanks man.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums