AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dance Gavin Dance - Dance Gavin Dance Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 6.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.07
Musicianship 8.78
Lyrics 7.43
Production 8.23
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.23
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Dance Gavin Dance - Dance Gavin Dance

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (08/19/08)
Dance Gavin Dance - Dance Gavin Dance
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: August 19, 2008

I can't imagine what it must be like for a band to lose probably the most essential part to their fame. As crazy as it sounds, that was Dance Gavin Dance's choice when they kicked former front man Jonny Craig out of the band. It's not an easy task to replace one of the best singers in the scene today. So what did they do?

Dance Gavin Dance held open auditions for a new singer and finally found a winner in Kurt Travis (formerly of Five Minute Ride, O! The Joy and No, Not Constant). Now I will admit that when I first heard Travis, I initially wrote him off for the sole fact that he isn't Jonny Craig. Let me just get this out of the way and say don't make that mistake.

The new album has the same Dance Gavin Dance characteristics you know and love. People will complain about the lyrics, the screaming, and everything else that has been said in the past. With that said, you know what you are getting with Dance Gavin Dance, although there are some nice surprises on this disc. Such as a few guest vocalists - Nic Newsham (Gatsbys American Dream), Chino Moreno (Deftones), and Matt Geise (Lower Definition) - that really add diversity to the album, giving it a greater album feel compared to Downtown Battle Mountain.

The album starts off with one of the stronger tracks "Alex English," showcasing Travis' voice and his ability to harmonize which works perfectly. They keep the intensity going with "Buffalo!," a song that rides drummer Matt Mingus' groovy beats throughout the whole song. The flow of in-your-face tracks continue until "Hot Water on Wool," where the band shows that they can slow it down and still channel the ferocity of the first songs. This pace is followed up with "Uneasy Hearts Weigh The Most," which stands out from every other song on the album for the simple fact that it sounds like a perfect mix of Dance Gavin Dance and Gatsbys American Dream. Oddly enough, it works and shines as the best song with a guest vocalist. While "Caviar" has been getting a lot of love from fellow fans, I find it to be one of the weaker tracks on the album. "Rock Solid" is just as it says: rock solid, with Matt Geise's guest vocals give the track that extra kick. Once again, another continuation of previous material shows up in form of "Burning Down the Nicotine Armiore Pt.2," which is easily one of the catchiest songs the band has written. After you hear Kurt belt the chorus, it is instantly stuck in your head.

"Skyhook" is by far the weakest song on the album. With that being said, it is far from a bad song. Finally, there is "People You Know," which happens to be the craziest song on the album. This nine minute track is a showcase for Jon as he takes the limelight as he does all the vocals, capturing the raw voice of Jon and projecting his anger onto every listener. It's as if the song is more of a big "fuck you" to Jonny and the scene, but I couldn't think of a better way to end the album.

Kurt Travis proves that he can fill Jonny's shoes and then some. While Craig may have a more distinct voice, Travis is more versatile and adds more depth and options to Dance Gavin Dance.

Who knows what is in store for the constant soap opera known as Dance Gavin Dance - will they change their name? Could this be their last record? Will every member eventually just walk away? If any of that does happen, I can say that I am highly satisfied with this piece of work; the least you can do is give it a shot. Jonny is gone, so its time to move on ... and it's obvious they have.

Recommended if You Likeintensity; great guest vocals; Jonny Craig's absence

myspace.com/dancegavindance

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
10:57 PM on 09/02/08
leftapart
User Info.
Excellent review! I would have given the entire production a little more credit though, but still very nice. My favorite part: 'Recommended if You Like: Jonny Craig's absenCe', hahaha. Anyways, this was definitely my 'album of the year'.
07:36 AM on 09/03/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Nice review.

I think Johnny's a tad overrated anyways.
07:01 PM on 09/04/08
Grub
User Info.
I'm sorry but I thought this was a huge dissapointment compared to their older stuff. They used to be one of my favorite bands, it's not even the abscence of jonnny for me that makes this cd so horrible. I thought overall it deserves a 60 at best.
08:14 AM on 09/10/08
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
i've been listening to the album alot lately .. i didnt like it during the first few listens but im kinda liking it now ..
05:14 PM on 09/13/08
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
I'm sorry but I thought this was a huge dissapointment compared to their older stuff. They used to be one of my favorite bands, it's not even the abscence of jonnny for me that makes this cd so horrible. I thought overall it deserves a 60 at best.

Nah.

I can't even listen to older DGD cuz of Jonny's whiney cocaine induced voice. I think the new album blows DTBM out of the water. It's probably my #1 top album of 2008
02:34 PM on 09/14/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Nah.

I can't even listen to older DGD cuz of Jonny's whiney cocaine induced voice. I think the new album blows DTBM out of the water. It's probably my #1 top album of 2008

This album is good but DTBM is better imo
11:24 PM on 09/14/08
b4u4get
Anna Karenina's train schedule
User Info.
The new album is good, except the lyrics. I find it more enjoyable than downtown battle mountain.
12:38 PM on 09/15/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
haha Blake if you did the RIYL I love you :)
03:00 PM on 09/15/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
The lyrics aren't meant to be taken seriously. The lyrics come across as more sarcastic than anything else.

This album is one of my top favorites of the year, along with innerpartysystem.
03:57 PM on 09/15/08
therookielot
User Info.
The lyrics are the best part.
05:05 AM on 09/16/08
b4u4get
Anna Karenina's train schedule
User Info.
But still there are a lot of *fucks.* It's kind of irritating.
06:06 PM on 09/16/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Thanks for all the kind words people.

This is one of my top albums of the year. I think I lost how many times I have listened to it front to back.
06:21 PM on 09/24/08
simensays
User Info.
Nah.

well thats your opinion...even if its bad.

I love how all you emo kids listen to all the nonsense about Johnny. How he is a alcoholic, a pothead...and now a cokehead.

Kurt cant sing anywhere as good, Mess screams suck, and finally the songs are nowhere near as good as Backwards Pumpkin Song, I told them i invented Times new romand, open your eyes and look north, and finally Surprise I'm from Cuba.

If you guys think they are better then...your simply delusional=)
10:28 PM on 09/24/08
therookielot
User Info.
well thats your opinion...even if its bad.

I love how all you emo kids listen to all the nonsense about Johnny. How he is a alcoholic, a pothead...and now a cokehead.

Kurt cant sing anywhere as good, Mess screams suck, and finally the songs are nowhere near as good as Backwards Pumpkin Song, I told them i invented Times new romand, open your eyes and look north, and finally Surprise I'm from Cuba.

If you guys think they are better then...your simply delusional=)

Emo kids? Wow. That's a stretch. It's kind of a last resort when it comes to internet arguments...to attempt an insult when it comes to a disagreement in opinion. I have a feeling you are going to look into my profile and single out one band that i listen to and retort with something like "HA SAYS THE *** WHO LISTENS TO BAYSIDE" it happens all the time here...

I digress, to keep this non-bias opinion I didn't totally rule out Jonny's voice. He's got a killer voice and he knows it, he's just throwing his life in the shitter because he knows he's good. I'm just saying, Kurt has an excellent range, much more wide than Jonny. Jonny gets boring cuz I don't think he puts enough emotion into his voice, and after hearing Kurt I really can't even listen to Jonny sometimes.

Sure Backwards Pumpkin Song and Times New Roman(pssst...there's no d at the end, I have never even heard of romand. Get firefox cuz it shows you what you spelled wrong. That or go back to 1st grade) are good, but the new album sinks DTBM. hot water on wool will blow your mind. /end of

p.s. my delusional?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News