AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sing It Loud - Come Around Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 5
Production 7.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 3.25
Reviewer Tilt 6.75
Final Verdict: 57%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.77
Musicianship 7.39
Lyrics 6.61
Production 7.84
Creativity 6.14
Lasting Value 6.09
Reviewer Tilt 6.95
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Sing It Loud - Come Around

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (10/01/08)
Sing It LoudCome Around
Release Date: September 23, 2008
Record Label: Epitaph

To be honest, when I received this album in the mail, I just assumed that Sing It Loud were another brightly-colored, annoying electronic/dance trend band being grinded out. But I was surprised to hear that this Minneapolis quintet sounded more like Motion City Soundtrack and Valencia than shit bands like Metro Station. And while Epitaph hastily signed the band after they’ve played only four shows, it makes sense that Sing It Loud is on the same label as MCS, as guitarist Josh Cain produced the band's debut Come Around (and Justin Pierre makes a guest appearance on “We’re Not Afraid”).

While the MCS comparisons are valid – both bands hail from the same city, the keyboards play a vital role in each band, and members of MCS have their talents mixed in – Sing It Loud is missing one thing, and that’s the charm MCS possesses.

Granted, like any pop-punk release, there are a good amount of decent tracks. Pierre’s guest spot on the aforementioned “We’re Not Afraid” saves the track from being completely boring, while the title track is the first song that really gets you excited, as the catchy bridge is very infectious. “Don’t Save Me" snoozes along until the final minute or so while “Give It Up” features a drumbeat that’ll get your head bobbing as the guitars and keys combine to drive the point home. And despite featuring vocals from Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low, “No One Can Touch Us” is ultimately forgettable.

“Marionettes” is easily the best song on Come Around, as it hits hard and has a slight edge to it. Vocalist Pat Brown really commands the track, as his voice soars in the chorus. Closer “Best Beating Heart," a solid track that finishes up the album nicely, will definitely remind you of Sherwood. It also helps you forget the five or six songs that aren’t up to par. These two songs really show off the potential of the band and if they could channel this kind of passion and emotion throughout an entire album, we’d be on to something here.

For a pop-punk album to be effective, it needs to catch its audience immediately with the first hook. Sadly, Sing It Loud doesn’t do this until the third track. Come Around is what most pop-punk albums are these days: not bad, not great, ultimately disposable. The album could have gotten a bigger push among listeners if it could have been released in say, June, but releasing a pop-punk album in late September will very rarely have any staying power. Oh yes, Sing It Loud has a lot of potential to stick with the kids who enjoy Valencia, Motion City Soundtrack, and Sherwood, but their sound is still a little wet behind the ears. Hopefully it all comes around on the sophomore effort.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I’ve Got A Feeling
2. We’re Not Afraid (feat. Justin Pierre)
3. Come Around
4. Don’t Save Me
5. Give It Up
6. MPLS
7. No One Can Touch Us (feat. Alex Gaskarth)
8. Marionettes
9. Over You
10. Fade Away
11. Best Beating Heart
Produced by: Josh Cain

Sing It Loud are:
Pat Brown – vocals
Nate Flynn – bass
Ben Peterson – keyboards
Kieren Smith – guitar
Chris Lee – drums

Buy it now at

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
09:13 PM on 10/01/08
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Good review, Drew. Nothing about SIL stood out in my mind. Ah, well. Best of luck to these guys next time.
10:33 PM on 10/01/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Yeah, these guys are a snooze.
11:16 PM on 10/01/08
GoodTimes
regret would require less arrogance
User Info.
For a review to be effective, it needs to be proofread. Sadly, this one wasn't.
11:35 PM on 10/01/08
birtcho
is...
User Info.
dont save me isnt the ballad. i reckon thats the best song on the album and over you is the ballad
12:01 AM on 10/02/08
ChickiManifesto
The Worker Bee
User Info.
I love these guys just saw them yesturday. And yes i am a huge MCS fan so :D

MLPS and Come around were always the favs for me. And i agree with Marionettes as being the most solid song on the album.
03:59 AM on 10/02/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I can't stand anything I've heard off this album.

... Including that damn ad.
05:19 AM on 10/02/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
93. The more your band exemplifies contemporary trends, the more likely you'll be forgotten in 5 years.

- The Rock Bible
09:55 AM on 10/02/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
Another pop-punk band that fails to release a solid LP.

I listened to it once, got to the song with Alex Gaskarth, and cut it off, it's just... forgettable.
10:21 AM on 10/02/08
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
For a review to be effective, it needs to be proofread. Sadly, this one wasn't.

bwahahah true dat.
10:26 AM on 10/02/08
mallyland
Graduation: May 23rd
User Info.
I really didn't like Marionettes. It was written by Pierre, which is completely noticeable in that it sounds nothing like the other songs. Lyrically, that is.
11:10 AM on 10/02/08
mmkelly4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review.

I think that these guys should have waited a bit longer to produce their LP so they could refine their songs and write better ones.
01:19 PM on 10/02/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Much much nicer then my review. I was angry and pretty much ripped it to shreds for 5 paragrahps.
01:57 PM on 10/02/08
SAOsurviveSTD
User Info.
I disagree about "No One Can Touch Us." I liked that song a lot when I first heard it on the EP, I'm sure I'll enjoy the album version.
01:58 PM on 10/02/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Much much nicer then my review. I was angry and pretty much ripped it to shreds for 5 paragrahps.

Ahaha, I actually read that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News