AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 8.32
Creativity 8.4
Lasting Value 9.03
Reviewer Tilt 8.73
Average: 86%
Inside AP.net

Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (01/06/06)
Motion City SoundtrackCommit This to Memory
Release Date: June 7, 2005
Record Label: Epitaph

Having garnered much praise and acclaim for their Moog-laced, high-octane, pop-tinged, full length debut I Am the Movie, expectations for Motion City Soundtrack’s follow-up, Commit This to Memory, were astronomically high, especially with Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 fame on board as producer. So, with all the build-up and the big name attached to the project, did Motion City Soundtrack deliver? Absolutely, and then some.

Though I enjoyed quite a few tracks on I Am the Movie, I was really only partial to “The Future Freaks Me Out” and “My Favorite Accident,” thus making it an album I’d spin only every once in a while. On Commit This to Memory, however, the songwriting as a whole is more refined, the production is clearer and suits the band better. And while the I Am the Movie had its share of poppy moments, the new album is poppier in general, something I’m totally down with. Justin Pierre’s candid vocals have taken on a hint of Ben Gibbard’s from Death Cab for Cutie (the beginning of “Together We’ll Ring in the New Year” is about as DCFC-esqe as a song can get), but it works. In summation, I feel like the band stepped everything up a notch with the new album.

Many have complained that “there isn’t enough synth” on the new record, or that “the songs lack the energy of I Am the Movie”—I, however, don't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah, perhaps the synth isn’t quite as prevalent or mixed as high, but it’s still there; I’m not hearing a huge difference. As for energy, I think “Attractive Today,” “Time Turn Fragile,” and “Better Open the Door” all answer any questions. And anyways, I Am the Movie had its fair share of mid-tempo songs too. I really don't see that much of a difference between the two records; I think people are just partial to music they discovered when it was still underground. The only real complaint I have with the album is that it kind of trails off at the end, but such is the case with most rock records.

Infectious, brutally self-honest, fun, quirky, and somewhat depressing, all at the same time, Commit This to Memory took me by surprise, and if you haven’t heard Motion City Soundtrack yet (hard to imagine, considering they’re all over MTV2 and Fuse), I highly recommend checking this album out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
03:55 PM on 01/06/06
DaveFeelsRight
it's still real to me dammit
User Info.
I agree with this, it's not as good as I'am The Movie.
03:55 PM on 01/06/06
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
Your review is coming from someone who didn't dig the first MCS album.. and probably not their previous splits/EPs.

From a longtime fan of all of their material, this new one does not hold up: the songs are lacking the punch the moog inflicts, and they're much less powerful. It's a good album, and one of my favorites of 2005, but it's nowhere near I Am The Movie.

-ACA
04:07 PM on 01/06/06
Ladron
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't have this one yet, but the many times I have listened to "I Am the Movie", I think its a mess. I find myself skipping most of the up-beat type songs, like "Boombox Generation", so annoying.
04:09 PM on 01/06/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Took me a long while to get into this band.
04:20 PM on 01/06/06
realschmiel82
User Info.
this is my favorite record of 2005.
04:25 PM on 01/06/06
thesego211
User Info.
Originally Posted by realschmiel82
wow...
04:42 PM on 01/06/06
jawkneephighv
Dead!
User Info.
Originally Posted by ACA
Your review is coming from someone who didn't dig the first MCS album.. and probably not their previous splits/EPs.

From a longtime fan of all of their material, this new one does not hold up: the songs are lacking the punch the moog inflicts, and they're much less powerful. It's a good album, and one of my favorites of 2005, but it's nowhere near I Am The Movie.

-ACA
Why aren't YOU staff? You are God. :D
04:43 PM on 01/06/06
jawkneephighv
Dead!
User Info.
Originally Posted by thesego211
wow...
yeah...opinions...who knew, huh?
04:58 PM on 01/06/06
white_emo_punk
Emily
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Ladron
I don't have this one yet, but the many times I have listened to "I Am the Movie", I think its a mess. I find myself skipping most of the up-beat type songs, like "Boombox Generation", so annoying.

I feel the same about I Am The Movie, though there were some amazing songs on that album.
05:01 PM on 01/06/06
TheLifeMelodic
bandgeeks do it better.
User Info.
The moment I knew this was a good record happened at the interlude of "Time Turned Fradgile"

I was nervous from the start
that our muscles might tear us apart.
our muscles tearing us apart?
From the words to carve our lives
from the words that take us by surprise
i was never taken by surprise
From the sounds we fail to hear
from the changes we begin to fear
I can hear you clearly
One day I'll fail to breathe and all you'll have are memories

such an awesome part.:)
05:45 PM on 01/06/06
YearsGoneBy
User Info.
Originally Posted by realschmiel82
i agree with you. this album does not get enough credit. people held i am the movie on such a pedestal which it did not deserve. yes, i am the movie was a good album, but nothing like people make it seem compared to commit this to memory. The music on this album is a lot better, as well as the lyrics. i think they definitely stepped up their song writing with this one. and for those they say they don't have the typical moog riffs as in the past, i say that they used it as much as it needed to be used. they didn't over do anything and try to fit expectations. good job mcs.
06:52 PM on 01/06/06
fluke182
Burning bicycles for revenge
User Info.
Good album, I Am the Movie is so much better it's not even funny. They miss the moog a lot on the album, it's still good writing but they just sound pop punk and miss a lot of their unique qualities without the keyboards.
07:17 PM on 01/06/06
Talib Scottie
Isn't it a pity?
User Info.
Commit this to Memory is a more then worthy follow up. I think anyone who was disappointed by this hasn't really given it a true shot. I loved it after a month of listening to it.
07:50 PM on 01/06/06
Sureshot182
Just growing up to die.
User Info.
motion city conentrates on concrete subject matter too much for my liking. they have a few good songs though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums