AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fastlane - New Start Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Fastlane - New Start

Reviewed by: Rohan Kohli (02/14/06)
FastlaneNew Start
Release Date: March 14, 2005
Record Label: Sucka Punch Records

1. Virus
2. Eyes Closed
3. Dreaming
4. Elevator
5. Comfortable Silence
6. A New Start
7. 3rd Degree
8. Forget What We Were
9. Million Times
10. When It's Over

My first thought when I put this record on: “Oh no.” New Start’s opening track, “Virus,” kicks things off with fast, distortion-drenched, metal tinged guitars, the occasional pinch harmonic finding its way into the blob of blah. Yay, another screamo record. Luckily, the album didn’t continue in the direction I was expecting—instead, I found a solid collection of fast, fairly generic, harmony-soaked, pop punk tunes that brought back strong memories of 2002-era pop punk (e.g. The Starting Line’s Say It Like You Mean It).

While New Start wasn’t the lame nu-screamo record I was expecting, the band didn’t lay off with the aggressive rif***e they displayed at the very beginning; I’m not complaining though—a rippin’, harmonized solo in a pop punk tune? (See: “3rd Degree”) Kick ass. Nevertheless, I’ve heard this record before. It doesn’t really bring anything new to the table except that little hint of metal at times. Songs like “Eyes Closed” are pretty much just a “best of” The Starting Line, but hey, the band does it well. While I would’ve probably been into this record a lot more three or four years ago, I think people who miss that older Drive Thru sound might dig this album.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
11:08 PM on 02/14/06
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
Ahah Rif***e
11:36 PM on 02/14/06
12:46AM
is a brain in a vat
User Info.
weird, i heard this album sooo long ago. i think these guys are from england maybe. either way, they must be signed now, and this is their label debut or something. huh.
11:40 PM on 02/14/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by 12:46AM
weird, i heard this album sooo long ago. i think these guys are from england maybe. either way, they must be signed now, and this is their label debut or something. huh.

Yeah, it came out March 14th haha. So, it's prob that album you heard a long time ago. And yah, they're from England.
02:35 AM on 02/15/06
Pantsisscene
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fastlane are indeed from England as am i!, i have seen them twice live and they are freekin awesome, this album totally blows me away it's pretty spectacular for a debut release, this is there first and so far only album and they are on Sucka-Punch who are a very very small record company over here

these guys are gonna hit it big sometime soon there headlining where i live on Feb 25th with Waterdown supporting

you seriously ned to check them out if you already havent try

www.fastlanerock.com or www.myspace.com/fastlane
03:53 AM on 02/15/06
nufan475
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh shit, no way was this reviewed. haha, I really enjoy the album, they deserve more attention.
04:41 AM on 02/15/06
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
User Info.
Go Fastlane.
05:53 AM on 02/15/06
AndrewC12
User Info.
Great band, this is a really strong debut album. Solid pop punk with as mentioned killer riffs and solos added for good measure.
06:55 AM on 02/15/06
splutton
Voices
User Info.
this is just a brilliant album. One of the best english pop punk releases over the last 5 years.
12:54 PM on 02/16/06
Kid Dynamatt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ha. I didn't see that this was under the Album Review category and thought this was going to be about the Asbury Park venue re-opening. Fuck.
08:27 AM on 02/19/06
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
User Info.
Originally Posted by splutton
this is just a brilliant album. One of the best english pop punk releases over the last 5 years.
True.
06:16 PM on 03/19/06
lebonj
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
supported them last month in cardiff, uk

real good band. fuck all people turned out to see them tho which sucked

haircuts are all the rage these days
08:52 PM on 02/06/10
BehcetWilliam
User Info.
good