AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Average: 78%

We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor

Reviewed by: Garett Press (02/22/06)
We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor
Virgin Records
{SCORE: 6.2/10}

At this point, my penchant for dancing is beginning to wear thin.

In 2005 the mainstream saw a surprising emergence of indie bands who, like a snake charmer with his flute, got the toes of American tapping with their modern dance-rock grooves. Ever since, the bass heavy sway, the semi-electronic trill, and the pick-a-minute hook with which The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Hot Hot Heat invaded our minds have become a major rock and roll standard. Itís been done, done, and done again and mostly to great effect.

But as weíve seen most recently with the ďemoĒ trend, the ďskaĒ trend, and the ďpop-punkĒ trend: after a while if you donít give a genre a little creative CPR, itís going to lose its flavor, and fast. Perhaps I stand alone here, but I feel the wave of dance-rock has not received enough medical attention. While new artists like Men, Women, and Children still send my pulse soaring, We Are Scientists havenít found that kindling just yet.

Itís hard to point to a flaw because, as with so many records, itís not what you hear, itís what you donít. The vocals are spot on, and instrumentally the foundation is rock hard. What With Love and Squalor fails to do though, is build upon this foundation. In almost every track I expected a skyscraper, and yet the elevator stopped a couple stories short. A major shortcoming in this whole dance-rock deal is the low malleability of the sound; rarely can a band effectively stretch it to envelop the girth of a full length record.

We Are Scientists have conjured 12 really good songs, championed by the more adventurous ďCanít LoseĒ and rarely flinching from a straight forward but successful formula. It's a good time had by all, but despite what there is to enjoy, With Love and Squalor does not manage to achieve any of the depth or importance found in the subtly heartbreaking J.D. Salinger short from which the record draws its name.

"It doesn't have to be terribly prolific! Just so that it isn't childish and silly." Esmť reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
01:13 PM on 02/22/06
isaaccore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how does the artwork only get a six? C'mon...
01:14 PM on 02/22/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
I absolutely love their album cover, I agree with your review. It was a 3-4 plays and out album for me.
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
I like this album, but most likely because I have not heard much of this genre before. Since buying it, I played it maybe a dozen times, and its a welcome diversion. The music is tight, vocals do not annoy me and the lyrics are easy to sing along to. It doesnt have much staying power, but hey, for now I enjoy it.

your review is dead on!
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by isaaccore
how does the artwork only get a six? C'mon...
i hate cats :\
01:33 PM on 02/22/06
burntheaction
user titties
User Info.
um, i adore this album. i think every song is worthy of being a single. definitely good pop music if anything, so i think 6.2 is a little low.
02:00 PM on 02/22/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I would have gave this a 7 or so, I love Inaction.
02:19 PM on 02/22/06
zeketheplmbr
SPACESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User Info.
"At this point, my penchant for dancing is beginning to wear thin."

Amen Garrett
02:26 PM on 02/22/06
GRIFFARD
A meow massages the heart.
User Info.
lmao. "It doesn't have to be terribly prolific! Just so that it isn't childish and silly." Esmé reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."
that is perhaps the worst joke i have ever heard. hahaha Series of Unfortunate Events!! haaa.
02:28 PM on 02/22/06
Garett Press
User Info.
Originally Posted by GRIFFARD
lmao. "It doesn't have to be terribly prolific! Just so that it isn't childish and silly." Esmé reflected. "I prefer stories about squalor."
that is perhaps the worst joke i have ever heard. hahaha Series of Unfortunate Events!! haaa.
haha i have no idea what you're talking about... i was referencing Salinger's For Esme: With Love and Squalor, my fav short story
03:11 PM on 02/22/06
MusicOrMisery
User Info.
I would give this album a 7 or an 8, Inaction is a fantastic track, and It's A Hit is also a standout for me
04:17 PM on 02/22/06
fortyparachutes
Won't Save You Now
User Info.
Originally Posted by Garett Press
haha i have no idea what you're talking about... i was referencing Salinger's For Esme: With Love and Squalor, my fav short story
Daniel Handler got the name Esme Squalor of Series of Unfortunate Events from this short story, it's not a joke at all.
04:41 PM on 02/22/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Garett Press

Hahaha, fucking owned him.

I agree with the review; this CD lost my interest pretty quickly.
05:18 PM on 02/22/06
fever
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i totally disagree about the staying power of this cd. i listen to it constantly, i think its awesome.
05:21 PM on 02/22/06
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
User Info.
Originally Posted by fever
i totally disagree about the staying power of this cd. i listen to it constantly, i think its awesome.
I agree. I've been listening to "With Love And Squalor", and I actually like it alot more than when I bought it.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests