AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

You, Me, and Everyone We Know - So Young, So... Album Cover

You, Me, and Everyone We Know - So Young, So...

Reviewed by
You, Me, and Everyone We KnowSo Young, So Insane
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: November 18th, 2008
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Consistency is a pretty important quality to me as a music fan. If a band is able to churn out another record that is up to par, or even better then their previous one, it definitely means a lot. Nothing is worse than listening to a highly anticipated follow-up and saying, "I was looking forward to this?" That feeling of musical-betrayal is enough for someone to write a band off for good.

When You, Me, and Everyone We Know released their first EP, Party for the Grown and Sexy, I instantly fell in love. To this day, I still listen to it as much as I did when it first came out and would probably call it one of my favorite EPs of all-time. Needless to say, hearing that they were going into the studio to record a new EP excited me to no end, but also had me a little worried. Even though I had much faith in them to come out with a collection of songs that I would love, there was still a tiny chance that I could be let down. Maybe that was just my paranoia kicking in. Regardless, the finished product, So Young, So Insane, is the complete opposite of any negative thoughts I had to what I feared it might be.

The springy opener, "I Can Get Back Up Now," shows that You, Me, and Everyone We Know haven't lost a bit of their charm or lyrical wit that they had back with the old EP. What I noticed at first was the change in Ben Liebsch's vocals and how they stray away from sounding a little like Max Bemis. Ironically enough, Bemis actually makes an appearance toward the end of the song, making the track even stronger than it already was. "Could It Be Sunstroke?" has the signature catchy chorus that YMAEWK is known best for, while "A Symptom" shows the progression they've made as it's a track that isn't entirely in-your-face pop-punk. Josh Cain makes his production prescence known in the stand-out "Sometimes We Have Too Much Fun," as I felt a Motion City Soundtrack vibe throughout the entire song. Closer "Happy Birthday" is another one of my favorites; if I didn't know it was on So Young, So Insane, I would have assumed it was a b-side from their first EP.

There's a nice feeling of relief when that anticipated album is as good as you expect. With So Young, So Insane, it just shows how You, Me, and Everyone We Know has the ability to perfectly craft pop songs without being tied to some popular label or a big budget producer. So young, so insanely talented.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) I Can Get Back Up Now
02) Could It Be Sunstroke?
03) A Symptom
04) Colorful Language
05) Sometimes We Have Too Much Fun
06) Happy Birthday
Produced by: Josh Cain

You, Me, and Everyone We Know is:
Ben Liebsch - Vocals
Noel Milford - Guitar
Rico Vigil - Guitar
Aaron Stern - Drums

LinksMyspace - AP Profile - Download the EP for free

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 129
01:33 PM on 11/18/08
c_rob2700
User Info.
Max definitely upped the awsome on the opener
01:53 PM on 11/18/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I retract my previous statement that some of these songs sucked, becuase, really, a lot of them rule. I've never listened to this band before yesterday, but now I'm regretting such nearsightedness.
02:15 PM on 11/18/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Glad to see you reviewing stuff again Joe! I love this EP, it's probably second favorite pop disc of this year, only to be outdone by Valencia.
02:19 PM on 11/18/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Great EP and review.
02:28 PM on 11/18/08
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Sweet review. Right on the money too.
02:35 PM on 11/18/08
muttley
Drop all your things and go outside
User Info.
i love this record.
good review.
03:01 PM on 11/18/08
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Great EP.
03:33 PM on 11/18/08
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
great review, I like this EP a lot.
03:47 PM on 11/18/08
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
This is a great EP.
06:08 PM on 11/18/08
MarsEatWorld
This is it.
User Info.
love this ep
06:12 PM on 11/18/08
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
Why are they touring with I Set My Friends on Fire. They are so good yet they are touring with such a shitty band.
06:14 PM on 11/18/08
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
"Why are they touring with I Set My Friends on Fire. They are so good yet they are touring with such a shitty band."

Totally agree with that. I wouldn't even call that shit they make music.

Not sure if I like this ep or the first one better...but it doesn't really matter, they're both awesome!
06:31 PM on 11/18/08
cue john denver
User Info.
Joe you're the man. Thank you for such kind words. See you in long island?
07:28 PM on 11/18/08
Loch_Doun
registered registered user
User Info.
I hate how Max ruined a perfectly good song...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos