AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Smashup, The - Being and Becoming Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Smashup, The - Being and Becoming

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (03/01/06)
The Smashup - Being and Becoming
Release Date: September 27th, 2005
Label: Warcon Entertainment

After seeing The Smashup perform on Taste of Chaos 2006 with a blistering live show on the second stage, I decided to check out their full-length album, Being and Becoming, which was released on Kevin Lyman’s Warcon Entertainment back in September of ’05. The stage presence of charismatic vocalist Watt White got me hooked, and upon listening to the CD, much of that energy appears on their self-produced album. The band, which hails from New York City, has written an album deserving of high praise.

The broadly appealing anthem “Never Gonna Kill Us” is one of the more aggressive tracks on Being and Becoming. Featuring a shout-along chorus, intimate transitions, sludgy guitars and emphatic use of the crash, “Never Gonna Kill Us” is a standout track showing just how far The Smashup have come as a band and gives listeners an inkling of where the band could be headed. More shredding guitar/bass combos pop up in “No Name,” but here the gang vocals steal the limelight. Alternating between vocalist Watt White, guitarist Vin Alfieri, and bassist Rich Liegey, the catchy, melodic elements of the song keep The Smashup from falling into any cliché-littered traps along the way. Songs like “Effigy” tread the line between hardcore, metal, and catchy straight-up rock. The lyrics in this song are vividly descriptive and the vocals are solid—although after a while, White’s voice might grow a bit flat in some listeners’ opinions. He doesn’t have a ton of range, but he makes good use of his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses, which is all we can ask.

“Murder to the Mattress” is another grippingly lyrical song that thrives off its musical simplicity. First, it is a credit to the diversity of The Smashup that they can write such a strong acoustic track. Second, and more importantly, the topic of the stunning “Murder to the Mattress” is a mature, even arguably under-examined topic in music—abortion. The Smashup isn’t just another band that shouts and screams about clichéd bullshit like destroyed relationships; they really do have something to say. This ten-track offering from the band is not perfect, but it is an entertaining CD that will grow on you. First it may just be a song or two, such the braggadocio-filled “Never Gonna Kill Us,” but eventually the hostility that Being and Becoming begins with will give way to a musical epiphany of sorts. Are you listening to The Smashup? If not, you damn well should be.

Buy The Smashup's Being and Becoming on iTunes

Links: Myspace | Purevolume | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
03:31 PM on 03/01/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Good review, I really like this album a lot! They are super nice guys too, catch them on the Taste Of Chaos tour.
08:29 PM on 03/01/06
dadeisgone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i dont post hardly ever but seriously, i havent heard the cd but i saw them at taste of chaos in houston, and they we terrible like absolutely terrible, as for the cd like i said ive never heard it and i hope i never have to...im really not trying to be a dick but those guys were horrible, as for the rest of taste of chaos it was pretty good, receiving end of sirens played great they didnt have a very good mix but they were on the side stage, thrice was awsome except when tepei totall missed a whole line in deadbolt haha, story of the year did it like white trash rock n roll gods, and atreyu had the most amazing staging ive ever seen......bottom line the smash up horrible
10:05 AM on 03/02/06
Icarus
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by dadeisgone
i dont post hardly ever but seriously, i havent heard the cd but i saw them at taste of chaos in houston, and they we terrible like absolutely terrible, as for the cd like i said ive never heard it and i hope i never have to...im really not trying to be a dick but those guys were horrible, as for the rest of taste of chaos it was pretty good, receiving end of sirens played great they didnt have a very good mix but they were on the side stage, thrice was awsome except when tepei totall missed a whole line in deadbolt haha, story of the year did it like white trash rock n roll gods, and atreyu had the most amazing staging ive ever seen......bottom line the smash up horrible
teppei missed a whole line . . . .oh my . . thank god you are so special to catch it- you got some issues buddy-
I'm sure you're quite a talented one
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums