Album Review
We Came As Romans - Dreams Album Cover

We Came As Romans - Dreams

Reviewed by
We Came As Romans - Dreams
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 12, 2008
Who?

An up-and-coming post-hardcore/metalcore act hailing from Detroit, Michigan.

How is it?

Very solid across the board. The four song EP has the ability to catch interest and leave the listener yearning to hear more. The opening of Dreams is the familiar scene-hardcore formula you're used to - although they follow the new "electronic-infused scene metalcore" trend, We Came As Romans make everything sound much better than what you've come to expect. The band have taken all the things that can go horribly wrong in this genre and correct them, doing them right. The drums and guitars flow well together, and breakdowns are put in the correct places, sounding great unlike many bands in the genre today. The vocals are outstanding - especially the clean vocals, which make them stand out in the ever-growing genre. The electronics on the EP sound great; Kyle Pavone is creative, and does an excellent job of putting unique bits of electronic effects where they fit perfectly. It's most noticeable on the track "Intentions," in which the band demonstrates their creativity by implementing a keyboard part that sounds like a full orchestra.

The production of Dreams is very impressive, since in is in fact an EP by a fairly unknown band. In comparison to their old EP, Motions, it's completely different. We Came As Romans have improved every aspect of their sound and done a wonderful job at completely changing their style. While listening to this album, I can't help but wonder how this band remains unsigned, and Dreams should ultimately be their ticket to stardom.

Recommended if You LikeEmarosa's This is Your Way Out; Burden of a Day; In Fear and Faith

myspace.com/wecameasromans
This review is a user submitted review from Handraa. You can see all of Handraa's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
10:12 PM on 12/20/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good job man.
02:49 PM on 12/21/08
rakeif
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review. Also, their demo EP was entitled "Demonstrations".
These guys are great, both musically and personally. Check them out!
03:44 PM on 12/21/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not very original, but I do think they meld numerous genres quite well. I give them credit but I wouldn't give the that high of a score.
04:05 PM on 12/21/08
jfork
User Info.
band sucks
04:13 PM on 12/21/08
chutterhanban
Vinyl Connoisseur
User Info.
These guys have a LOT of potential. I played a show with them earlier in the summer and definitely never saw this coming. They were even overshadowed by one of the other bands at the time. Now, that band doesn't even come close to competing for my ears with We Came As Romans. If they continue to use what they have to improve in a similar manner each time they put out a record, we can not only expect a record label's attention, but probably a national stage as well. GREAT REVIEW. You highlighted the awesome parts very well, but made sure to mention that it's not perfect.
04:36 PM on 12/21/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
You're such a positive force on this site so far.
04:45 PM on 12/21/08
tuxiboy
Polarbear
User Info.
Listening to this one every day. Great band.
05:00 PM on 12/21/08
singlexsorrow
In all this chaos we found safety..
User Info.
They are kind of generic and some parts of the EP sound a little repetitive but I enjoy it a lot though.
06:16 PM on 12/21/08
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
These guys have a LOT of potential. I played a show with them earlier in the summer and definitely never saw this coming. They were even overshadowed by one of the other bands at the time. Now, that band doesn't even come close to competing for my ears with We Came As Romans. If they continue to use what they have to improve in a similar manner each time they put out a record, we can not only expect a record label's attention, but probably a national stage as well. GREAT REVIEW. You highlighted the awesome parts very well, but made sure to mention that it's not perfect.
Thank you. I'm kinda new at this stuff.
06:17 PM on 12/21/08
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
thanks.
09:06 PM on 12/21/08
Domenic182
probably been here longer than you
User Info.
shit band
09:22 AM on 12/22/08
Jake Denning
User Info.
Ok review, but breakdowns dont have a set spot, thats what makes bands original.
01:23 PM on 12/22/08
rillagorilla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think the ep is excellent!
02:16 PM on 12/22/08
themovement
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is such a constructively critical comment.
you clearly know a lot about music and critiquing it.

i thought they nailed the new ep. Everything blends well and they stepped onto new ground with the electronica... especially in intentions when they incorporate an orchestra.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos