Password

Album Review

Cue the Doves - Architectures of the Atmosphere Album Cover

Cue the Doves - Architectures of the Atmosphere

Reviewed by
Cue the Doves - Architectures of the Atmosphere
Release Date: March 21st, 2006
Record Label: Dead Letter Records

My family and I grew up with this dog. Her name was Winnie and she was a black dachshund (you know. one of those annoying little weiner dogs). Well she loved playing fetch; whether it was 100 degrees outside or 6 inches of snow that little bitch loved the tennis ball we threw around. Well, for shits and giggles sometimes we would toss around a softball that was neon yellow (like the tennis ball). For the life of her she could never get that mouth around the ball. It was hilarious. Now she's dead.

In the same manner, Cue the Doves, led by ex-bassist of The Beautiful Mistake, Jon Berndtson, have tried to bite down on something too big for their mouths. The first track, a creepy instrumental, reminds me of, say Castlevania was a contemporary game for Xbox and Playstations systems, this song would be put on repeat for level one. Now, "Majestic Twelve" is a proper intro for Architectures of the Atmosphere, but after that the album falls apart. The vocal arrangements are hoarse at best, with angry screams and layered harmonies in between. Though the title track is the best track between instruments, lyrics and vocals in matching a relative sound for the band, hollow guitars seem to frame most songs as the drumming is pushed far behind other elements of the song. Bringing the percussions forward and giving them a chance to explode would be a sucessful cure to the unorganized progression. Drummer Jake Quam shows the ability but just isn't given the chance to make his mark known.

With that said, not only is the music barely redeemable, the scattered sound clips from films discussing general themes of space, space encounters, extraterestrials and so forth are awkwardly placed at the beginning of nearly every single track. The attempt at creativity is reaching too far on this freshmen album. Suggesting to begin with the basics like basic song building (even verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus would be a good start) may sound condescending but it's the best chance they have to recover from such a mess.

Architects of the atmosphere eh? Well, try getting your feet on the ground before building again. Kthx.
This review is a user submitted review from Gabe Gross. You can see all of Gabe Gross's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
03:12 PM on 04/12/06
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
This album disappointed me. I loved the demos of "The Red Planet Falls" and "Peregrine Mountain" I heard back in 2005, but I think I expected too much from Cue The Doves.
03:15 PM on 04/12/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Hahaha. I'm glad I passed on this review. I wouldn't have had such a great comparison to make, although our scores would have been similar. I just can't get into this CD at all.
03:16 PM on 04/12/06
Save my day
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hah, the dog comparison made this review.
03:34 PM on 04/12/06
xTJx
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
le pwn?
03:44 PM on 04/12/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Gabe Gross relies on UMBers to copy edit his reviews. respect.
04:03 PM on 04/12/06
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by Polymath
Wow. Unprofessional much.

traffic much?
04:12 PM on 04/12/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nu-metal revival much?
04:15 PM on 04/12/06
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
User Info.
Hahaha, wow.
04:26 PM on 04/12/06
Waltz Whitman
User Info.
Ugh, after hearing all the bad reviews for this bad I'm starting to believe it may just suck. I really liked the demos they used to have. . .damn.
04:29 PM on 04/12/06
ForeverInADay
User Info.
"Now she's dead."

HAHAHAHA oh man.

I whole heartedly agree on the review though
04:29 PM on 04/12/06
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.
Wow.
07:04 PM on 04/12/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Great analogy, I actually have a mental image in my head of how bad you think this album is. Just the fact that you had to think of such an elaborate story to say how much you disliked this album speaks volumes. Good review.
07:27 PM on 04/12/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Gabe Gross
Pwned!
07:41 PM on 04/12/06
mynameistaken
User Info.
i dont undertand why there was so much "hype" or "anticipation" for that matter about this band. i completely agree with everything in the review. the dog comparison was very fitting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos