AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Versus The Mirror - Home Album Cover

Versus The Mirror - Home

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
VERSUS THE MIRROR - Home

Versus The Mirror doesn't want to sound like your typical “metalcore” outfit. In this day and age of bands using Pro-Tools, computers, and high tech recording equipment, VTM said no thanks to that. Instead, their Equal Vision debut record, Home, was recorded from analog to 2” tape and tracked with vintage gear. With the help of producer Bob Hoag (The Bled, The Format), Versus The Mirror was able to achieve the sound they wanted, which is an album that sounds just like their live show. With the accomplishment of that, this Tucson, Arizona quintet (vocalist Davey Seibold, guitarists Gabe Borquez and Kevin Ryan, bassist Brad Murray, and drummer Shane Ray) has released a solid album that is slightly better than most albums in this genre.

“Birthed By Architecture” starts off the album with a deep, distant bass drum and a menacing guitar riff, which leads into Ray’s staccato-like drumming colliding with Borquez and Ryan’s guitars. Seibold’s unforgiving voice then kicks in, which is very reminiscent of The Bled’s James Munoz. “Smoke It To The Rope,” which first appeared on VTM EP, follows the opener with a hard hitting intro and Seibold belting out “Can you feel/my legs begin to shake?/just as the ether/that is underneath these sheets.” The rhythm of Ray and Murray is key in this song. “Barracuda Capital Of The World” has fine guitar work, and for being only 19, Seibold is pretty damn good at the screaming thing, and this song proves it. “Life As A Criminal” is my favorite song on the album. Dark and heavy, it is the definite highlight of the album and shows how good this band can become. The lyrics are also very thought-provoking on this track, with an example being, “If Jesus was born in a race of age/would a noose of thorns be more fitting?/On which day did God create this awful violence that I see?” After a short instrumental, the album picks up with “Out Of Context,” a fast track that could be mistaken for an Underoath song, but this isn’t a bad thing. “Boy Gets What He Wants” (another song from the EP) is another favorite of mine, as melody and brutality fuse into one kickass song. The breakdown of this song is great, as it has a sense of urgency with Seibold letting it out with a rousing line of “Bottoms up you fuckers/this is your last release/your libations are undead to me.” The album closes with the frantic “(I Am) The Master Of Gravity.” Full of persistence and viciousness, the emotion of this song isn’t coming in a pretty package for you, it’s gonna come dirty and punch you in the face. It’s a fine closer for this vigorous album.

Home is a 12-track voyage into a realm of the uncleanness of metalcore. While it is nothing amazing and lacks on staying power, it is still a solid release from a band that is only in their early twenties. The potential is there, and with the help of being on a superb label like Equal Vision, Versus The Mirror isn’t that far from making something really special. I highly recommend this album to fans of Underoath and The Bled. So make yourself at Home with Versus The Mirror, as they are on the right path to success and a fresh breath in an over saturated genre.

Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. Birthed By Architecture
2. Smoke It To The Rope
3. Barracuda Capital Of The World
4. Great White Zombie
5. Life As A Criminal
6. The Sound Asleep
7. Out Of Context
8. Let's Get Alone
9. Boy Gets What He Wants
10. Fear Will Keep Them In Line
11. Home
12. (I Am) The Master Of Gravity

Versus The Mirror are:
Davey Seibold - vocals
Gabe Borquez - guitar
Kevin Ryan - guitar
Brad Murray - bass
Shane Ray - drums

Release Date: April 18, 2006
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Official Website; Official Myspace; AP Artist Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
04:17 PM on 04/19/06
AreTwoKay
EAT LEAD SLACKERS!
User Info.
Love this album and these dudes.

Great White Zombie is my fav
04:21 PM on 04/19/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't stand the vocals after like, 3 songs. Very monotone IMO.
04:40 PM on 04/19/06
traumalikerain
Ragin Cajun
User Info.
hmmmm...after listening to their songs on purevolume, they sound the same as every other screamo or metal core band.
04:43 PM on 04/19/06
Kyle Thrash
@thrash_itup
User Info.
this review convinced me to buy this. thats cool their from tuscon just like the bled are.
04:46 PM on 04/19/06
Boring Pop Song
youre gettin the big boot
User Info.
nice review drew, i'll have to check this album out
04:50 PM on 04/19/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Originally Posted by manican sex
this review convinced me to buy this. thats cool their from tuscon just like the bled are.

Sweet, fyi this album is only 9.99 at Best Buy.
04:50 PM on 04/19/06
CrazyKilla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well for a lover of the music and it's creativity, like myself. I think it's genious to have a band who can thrash with harmony (so to speak). Producer Bob Hoag made this young band sound like a veteran in their own right. If you hear nothing but screamo that's becuase your to lazy to get up and find the few who want to stand out. VTM's debut was deliscous and I wouldn't mind going back to the buffet a 1000 more times.
05:03 PM on 04/19/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
I wish the vocals varied more, but it's a solid record.
05:57 PM on 04/19/06
romantic rights
User Info.
i'll probably pick this album up once im paid.
06:55 PM on 04/19/06
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
the vocals suck a lot
and i think the music is mediocre... its a shame they are on Equal Vision, they seem to have been singing such good and varied bands over the past while.
07:14 PM on 04/19/06
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
very helpful review, thanks drew!!!!!!!!
07:34 PM on 04/19/06
The Silencer
the one above all
User Info.
I still can't believe Gabe is in this band...awesome dude, awesome band.
07:36 PM on 04/19/06
marbury1414
This May Be The Year...
User Info.
Originally Posted by CrazyKilla
Well for a lover of the music and it's creativity, like myself. I think it's genious to have a band who can thrash with harmony (so to speak). Producer Bob Hoag made this young band sound like a veteran in their own right. If you hear nothing but screamo that's becuase your to lazy to get up and find the few who want to stand out. VTM's debut was deliscous and I wouldn't mind going back to the buffet a 1000 more times.

Haha, this sounds like it was taken straight off the band bio.
10:00 PM on 04/19/06
DaveFeelsRight
it's still real to me dammit
User Info.
I like this record, but every song on the album sound the same.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos