AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
In:Aviate - 1985 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

In:Aviate - 1985

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (12/23/08)
In:Aviate - 1985
Record Label: Rise Recods
Release Date: October 14, 2008

In:Aviate don’t seem to fit in. On a record label with a huge number of metalcore superstar wannabes and one better-than-most pop-punk band, they seem to be overlooked solely due to the company that they keep. They’ve been compared to progressive rock mainstays Circa Survive, which is no small compliment. They take the best parts of Circa Survive’s sound and polish up the poorer qualities to create a record that Anthony Green and company haven’t pulled off quite yet.

The album opens with a declaration of their diversity and talents. “In The End,” an entirely instrumentally opener, displays progressive rock and metal influences. Neither influence is abrasive enough to truly drive the song. The second track is where the lead vocalist, Ryan Randall, gets his opportunity to display diversity, switching between high and low pitches, as well as belting out a few screams while he’s at it.

Lyrically and conceptually, the album borrows the idea from the classic novel 1984. Based off of a feeling of helplessness, the fact that we have little control over our lives is one that is easy for the listener to connect with. A big display of this is on the second track “Redefining Automation." The line “I sold my soul for a bit of certainty/Then I spent it all buying into your beliefs” stands out in the track because of how well it follows the album's core idea.

The first time I finished this album, I was satisfied, but not necessarily impressed. Many listens later, I finish the album with a smile on my face and the knowledge that this is one of the better progressive rock records I’ve heard and one of the best new bands I’ve heard. If these guys play their cards right and if they get the tours, they have the sound and they could be huge.

Recommended if You LikeSaosin; Circa Survive

myspace.com/inaviate

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29.
08:33 PM on 01/03/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Good review, Brad. Might check this one out, actually.
08:59 PM on 01/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
If anyone is wondering why the score for Circa's record On Letting Go got a higher score than this, it's because I have made my scoring a bit harsher.
08:59 PM on 01/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Good review, Brad. Might check this one out, actually.
I'd recommended it. It's really a good record.
09:12 PM on 01/03/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
I'd recommended it. It's really a good record.
Cool. I like your reviews, man.
09:19 PM on 01/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Cool. I like your reviews, man.
Thank you!
09:19 PM on 01/03/09
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
09:53 PM on 01/03/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review man. This is a real good CD, Rise really needs to promote these guys more.
10:21 PM on 01/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Good review man. This is a real good CD, Rise really needs to promote these guys more.
I wish these guys would get on a credible label. Rise gets some much crap, and they are going to get grouped in with the shit, and it's not fair to a great band.
10:36 PM on 01/03/09
circatbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I wish these guys would get on a credible label. Rise gets some much crap, and they are going to get grouped in with the shit, and it's not fair to a great band.
I agree. Rise has some pretty good bands, but some that are absolutely terrible. (Breathe Carolina? WTF!?). I think they would do really well on a label like Equal Vision or something.
10:50 PM on 01/03/09
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
I agree. Rise has some pretty good bands, but some that are absolutely terrible. (Breathe Carolina? WTF!?). I think they would do really well on a label like Equal Vision or something.
I was just going to say that, but they just signed Closure In Moscow so they probably don't need another up and coming prog rock act.
01:49 AM on 01/04/09
LongDistanceDrunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for the review. Holy fuck this band is great. I have never heard a Rise Records band worth listening to besides TYGB. I still haven't decided if this is better or worse or too similar to Circa Survive but this band need to get the fuck off of Rise Records.
02:00 AM on 01/04/09
fakeplastictree
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great record. this band isn't getting the enough credit.
02:51 AM on 01/04/09
bonefacekillah
User Info.
great review. more people need to get into this band.
03:59 PM on 01/04/09
B.J
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw this band and photographed them about a month ago when they were on tour with Ivoryline.
Ive listened to their EP aswell as the new record. I love it. Not only are they amazing performers , but they are the nicest most down to earth band I have ever met.
I recommend you listen to the older CD aswell as the new one.
I hate how they dont get reconized like they should & deserve. Hopefully 2009 will bring them even more success. because they dont just write music to write it. It has a lot of meaning behind it. And Ryan's voice is amazing.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums